Gossamer Forum
Home : General : Internet Technologies :

Debian / Mac OS X ( was: Re: [QooQ] ... W32/Bugbear-A )

Quote Reply
Debian / Mac OS X ( was: Re: [QooQ] ... W32/Bugbear-A )
Ah yeah, that's something I had been meaning to ask you ...

Can you get an ibook that can dual boot Debian / OS X?

And if you can, do you know if the battery performance will be as good for Debian as it is advertised for OS X?

- wil

Last edited by:

Wil: Oct 2, 2002, 1:11 PM
Quote Reply
Re: [Wil] Debian / Mac OS X ( was: Re: [QooQ] ... W32/Bugbear-A ) In reply to
hehe, good idea to split the thread.

Theoretically speaking it should work.

You are able to select the start up disk. Problem is booting back out of Debian to OSX. I'm not that far into Linux systems. Previously, with OS9 it was not a big problem. Since lilo or what ever the boot disk selector is called would do it. I was able to dual boot with LinuxPPC and OS9.

The other hitch would be formating the drive to a unix format instead of Apple's Extended format. Although, I wonder if it's that much of a problem, since you could partition the drive and then choose the format of choice for each drive.

I haven't done this with OSX and probably won't since I don't have much fiddle and muck around time anymore.

But why would you want to install Debian? For work purposes I presume. Apple has a sweet Remote Desktop application. You can install Xwindows with virtually any windowing system you want. Lot's of *nix based software has been ported or is in the process of being ported.

You can basically access any network with just a click or 2.

Printing to window printers is still a little sketchy but CUPS should be getting better in an up-date or 2.

Samba apparently works better on OSX than on M$.

Although, the biggest complaint I have is that IE is no where near Windows 6.x yet. I'm starting to like Mozilla more and more every time I use it. Ahhh, and to be honest, perl, php, and mysql are just a tad slow to offer ports. But then again I like that since the bleeding edge versions are a little more stabler.

@ ibook or TiBook
Get a iBook with the 16meg video card to be safe. I've got a 8meg version, it's not bad but ... that extra 8 megs seems to be nice to have.

My iBook is also a 14" compared to most 12" versions. PC users swear it's bigger as or even bigger feeling than their 15" machines.

Ian got himself an iMac 17" and he's having such a great time that I can't get him to stay long in chat anymore.

Cheers and hope that this helps Smile

openoffice + gimp + sketch ... Smile