Gossamer Forum
Home : General : Internet Technologies :

DNS Help Please

Quote Reply
DNS Help Please
Hi,
I’m having problems accessing my local server via my dynamic DNS and would appreciate some help. Details as follows -

System: WinXP (Pro) Pentium 4 - 2.3GHz / 512 MB
Hard Disk: 120BG (C: System, E: Data, F: Applications, H: Server)
HTTP Server: Apache 2.0.47 Win32 (ActivePerl 5.8.0, PHP 4.3.3, MySQL 4.0.15)
HTTP Server Port: 80
Dynamic DNS: studydex.dns2go.com (currently pointing to 61.196.13.193)

If I use a dial up connection using my internal modem (Conexant HCF V90 56K Data Fax PCI Modem (COM3) remote users can access webpages stored on my local hard disk (H) from http://studydex.dns2go.com
If I use my ADSL connection (which is what I want to use) via my router remote users cannot access webpages stored on my local hard disk (H) from http://studydex.dns2go.com

I’m not sure, but based on what I said above, I think my dns2go and my Apache server are set up correctly because it works with dial-up. The problem would appear to be with my router. It’s directing all inbound requests to my router configuration/setup interface on 192.168.1.1.
My system (with the Apache server installed) is 192.168.1.2 on the LAN and the Apache server is 127.0.0.1.
If I type in http://studydex.dns2go.com in my browser I get the username/password login window. If I enter my router username and password I get access to the router configuration/setup interface.

Why are the requests being sent to the router configuration and not to my local server?

After reading through various posts and searching Google I think what I need to do is set the NAT address in my router but this is easier said than done. I am located in Japan, my system is English but my router is Japanese. All the configuration settings are in Japanese so it’s difficult for me to work out how to set everything up. I can understand basic Japanese so I just need someone to confirm what I have concluded above and give me some basic guidelines as to what I need to do from here.

My router is made by NTT-ME and the model number is MN7310. I am using it in PPPoE NAT Router mode.

If I am right (and I may possibly be totally wrong, as I know nothing about this topic), I need to set up either NAT Address Translation or NAT Address Port Conversion. My guess is the first one - NAT Address Translation. I have tried both but may not have entered the correct information so I would appreciate it if someone could look at what I have translated from Japanese to English (sorry for any strange terminology) and tell me what I need to set the fields to. I think I have supplied all the IP addresses/ ports/ etc. so please tell me exactly what numbers go where.

NAT Address Translation
There appears to be two ways to setup NAT address translations. One is called “One Touch” which involves just selecting the type (WWW Server, FTP Server, Packet Relay, Windows Messenger) and inputting an IP Address. The other way is to fill out the following details -
No. Number assigned to the translation (Maximum of 32)
Precedence: Text Field that requires a number (looks like “0” is either – a number that can’t be used or used to turn off the precedence. I’m not sure which but I think it means don’t use “0”).
Name of Connection: Drop down Menu field with only one choice – “ISP Connection 1”.
LAN IP Address: Text Field to enter IP Address.
ADSL IP Address: Radio Button field with 2 choices – “Use Assigned IP Address” or “Enter IP Address” (with text field to input IP Address).
Protocol: Drop down Menu with 7 choices – “TCP”, “UDP”, “Both TCP/UDP”, “ICMP”, “GRE”, “All Protocol (Joint Ownership)”, “All Protocol (Possession)”.
Port Number: Text Field (Minimum – Maximum)

NAT Address Port Conversion
No. Number assigned to the translation (Maximum of 32)
Precedence: Text Field that requires a number (looks like “0” is either – a number that can’t be used or used to turn off the precedence. I’m not sure which but I think it means don’t use “0”).
Name of Connection: Drop down Menu field with only one choice – “ISP Connection 1”.
LAN IP Address: Text Field to enter IP Address.
ADSL IP Address: Radio Button field with 2 choices – “Use Assigned IP Address” or “Enter IP Address” (with text field to input IP Address).
Protocol: Drop down Menu with 3 choices – “TCP”, “UDP”, “Both TCP/UDP”.
LAN Port Number: Text field to enter Port Number.
ADSL Port Number: Text field to enter Port Number.

Can anyone help me solve this one?
Thank you.
Simon.
Quote Reply
Re: [jai] DNS Help Please In reply to
firstly, do you have the router configured to forward incoming port 80 from wan to internal port 80 on that IP? secondly, many broadband ISP's block port 80 to prevent users from running web servers so you may have to run your server on a nonstandard port.

Philip
------------------
Limecat is not pleased.
Quote Reply
Re: [fuzzy logic] DNS Help Please In reply to
Philip,

Thanks for your reply.

Quote:

firstly, do you have the router configured to forward incoming port 80 from wan to internal port 80 on that IP?

That's what I'm trying to determine/configure. As I mentioned, everything is in Japanese so it's not easy to determine what's going on. Based on the fact that it works on my internal modem (dial-up) and not on the router, I would say that this is where my problem is.

Quote:
secondly, many broadband ISP's block port 80 to prevent users from running web servers so you may have to run your server on a nonstandard port.

I'm using the same ISP for dial up and ADSL so I don't think they are blocking port 80. Unless it's blocked for ADSL and not for dial up.

So now I need to determine how and where my router is forwarding to. In my PPPoE settings I have the following configuration options I can select -

Operation Mode: Set to NAT Router (Choices are - NAT Router, IP Router, Bridge, GapNAT, Multi GapNAT).

LAN side IP Settings:Various LAN and DHCP Server Settings.

ADSL sise IP Settings: Set to PPP (Choices are PPP or IP Addressing with field to enter IP).

PPP Account Settings: ISP username/password, etc.

PPP Automatic Connection Settings: Automatic connection/time out settings.

UPnP Settings: Option to use or not use with fields to add IPs.

Access Restrictions: Looks like I can enter IPs to restict access.

IP Static Route: Nothing set but I can add up to 32. It asks for - Address/Mask, Gateway Address, Hop Count 1-15.

NAT Address Translation: Nothing set. See my original post for details.

NAT Address Port Conversion: Nothing set. See my original post for details.

IP Filter: Filtering for Private Address, TCP session, Windows traffic, etc. Settings include -
Number: Preset number (no field)
Priority: Field for number (Any number except 0).
Interface: Choice of - From LAN, To LAN, ISP(From PPP), ISP(To PPP)
Origin IP Address/Mask: Field for IP address and mask.
Destination IP Address/Mask: Two radio buttons - Use IP Addrees (enter address/mask) or Use pre-set (LAN or PPP/ISP Acquisition)
Protocol: Field (but I don't know what to enter. Most fields have "*" and another one has TCP-SYN).
Origin Port: Field (but I don't know what to enter. Most fields have "*" and others have a port range).
Desination Port:Field (but I don't know what to enter. Most fields have "*" and others have a port range).
IP Filter Action: Choice of - Pass or Not Pass

Currently the following Filters have been set -

(Number, Priority, Interface, Origin IP Address/Mask, Destination IP Address/Mask, Protocol, Origin Port, Desination Port, IP Filter Action)
1 50 Destination Connection from 1 10.0.0.0/8 0.0.0.0/0 * * * Not Pass
2 51 Destination Connection from 1 172.16.0.0/12 0.0.0.0/0 * * * Not Pass
3 52 Destination Connection from 1 192.168.0.0/16 0.0.0.0/0 * * * Not Pass
4 53 Destination Connection to 1 0.0.0.0/0 10.0.0.0/8 * * * Not Pass
5 54 Destination Connection to 1 0.0.0.0/0 172.16.0.0/12 * * * Not Pass
6 55 Destination Connection to 1 0.0.0.0/0 192.168.0.0/16 * * * Not Pass
7 60 Destination Connection from 1 0.0.0.0/0 0.0.0.0/0 TCP-SYN * * Not Pass
8 65 Destination Connection to 1 0.0.0.0/0 0.0.0.0/0 * 137-139 * Not Pass
9 66 Destination Connection to 1 0.0.0.0/0 0.0.0.0/0 * * 137-139 Not Pass
10 67 Destination Connection to 1 0.0.0.0/0 0.0.0.0/0 * 445 * Not Pass
11 68 Destination Connection to 1 0.0.0.0/0 0.0.0.0/0 * * 445 Not Pass
12 69 Destination Connection from 0.0.0.0/0 0.0.0.0/0 * 137-139 * Not Pass
13 70 Destination Connection from 0.0.0.0/0 0.0.0.0/0 * * 137-139 Not Pass
14 71 Destination Connection from 0.0.0.0/0 0.0.0.0/0 * 445 * Not Pass
15 72 Destination Connection from 0.0.0.0/0 0.0.0.0/0 * * 445 Not Pass

Anyway, I've got no idea which one of the above options can be configured to forward incoming port 80 from wan to internal port 80 on that IP.
Any ideas?
Which option usually handles port forwarding (NAT, Filtering, ???)?
Thank you.
Simon.
Quote Reply
Re: [jai] DNS Help Please In reply to
Any ideas anyone?

Thanks

Simon.