Gossamer Forum
Quote Reply
ActiveX
So maybe I'm talking to myself again :)

Just wondering if anyone out there has made their own activex controls?

I want to build up a library of my own, a little like perl modules and was just interested if anyone else had done something similar?
Quote Reply
Re: [Paul] ActiveX In reply to
Hello Paul,

Are you thinking of VB 3.0 ActiveX for IE 3.0 on Windows 3.11/NT4 ?

Or the whole internet OS / Browser spectrum ?

Java was supposed to really fill the whole earth "write once, run on all".

Sun Java is different from MS Java.

I frankly gave up on ActiveX when Netscape dropped support for it, for Netscape Plugins.

I am interested in your thoughts as to : Can you really use ActiveX outside of a MS enviroment.

This post uses the browser helper for IE to work.

ps I really did like the use of ActiveX, but is there a real future now ?

cornball
Quote Reply
Re: [cornball] ActiveX In reply to
>>
Are you thinking of VB 3.0 ActiveX for IE 3.0 on Windows 3.11/NT4 ?
<<

No?...VB6

ActiveX controls do have a future - they aren't just web based, activex can be used in windows applications, so when used in that way they are browser independant.

I agree that support is poor when using activex via the web.
Quote Reply
Re: [cornball] ActiveX In reply to
Oh, I hate having to sign controls too. I know it is a security measure but it really sucks.

I don't wanna have to pay $400/yr to let people know my code is safe to run. There are no real verifications performed. Your code isn't reviewed so if I was a hacker with a bit of cash I could still sign my control.

Ugh.
Quote Reply
Re: [Paul] ActiveX In reply to
Just to come back to my rambling. I'm working on a control at the moment to ease the process of adding an application icon into the system tray and to popup a context menu when it is right clicked. The icon can also be animated in the system tray.

Should have it completed fairly soon in case anyone is interested Wink (I won't hold my breath)