Gossamer Forum
Home : General : Databases and SQL :

Strange CGI/DBI Error, not present at CMD prompt, though.

Quote Reply
Strange CGI/DBI Error, not present at CMD prompt, though.
I'm pulling my hair out so any help is very much appreciated. Here's the scenario:

I have a fully functional perl CGI script that connects to a MySQL database, using DBI, which outputs a list of all records found. (Extremely bare-bones) When I call this script with a web browser it outputs all records as expected. When I run it locally from a command prompt, it also works fine. Here's the catch. When I modify the statement to connect to an Access database, and not the MySQL, using an ODBC driver, I get an error in my browser that says : CGI Error

The specified CGI application misbehaved by not returning a complete set of HTTP headers.

If I run the .cgi script from a DOS prompt, though, everything looks fine. I get the proper "Content-type: text/html" header, and all records are returned as they should be. Bear in my mind, I haven't changed the rest of the script at all from the original. Why would the script work from the DOS prompt, but not when loaded in a browser? Below is the ONLY modification made in my script:

This one works (MySQL)

$dbh = DBI-> connect ("DBI:mysql:host=localhost;database=cars", "Maintenance", "password",{PrintError => 0, RaiseError => 1});

This one does not (Access-ODBC)

$dbh = DBI-> connect ("DBI:ODBC:CarData", {PrintError => 0, RaiseError => 1});

I think that some kind of error is kicking out before the header is output to the web, but this error doesn't happen when run locally. The printout looks PERFECT in a DOS window so I don't get why it's bombing out through a browser. I am running IIS 6.0 with the latest installation of ActivePerl from ActiveState. Please let me know if you need any further info at all. Thanks SOOOOOOO much for any help.

--Seth
Quote Reply
Re: [seth_h] Strange CGI/DBI Error, not present at CMD prompt, though. In reply to
Hi,

Most likely the IIS user does not have permission to access the ODBC data source you are using.

Add:

use CGI::Carp qw/fatalsToBrowser/;

to your script to have any fatals that are generated go to your browser.

Cheers,

Alex
--
Gossamer Threads Inc.