Gossamer Forum
Quote Reply
SQLite
Has anyone ever worked with SQLite at all?

PHP5 is apparently going to come with SQLite embedded, ostensibly eliminating the need for a separate database engine for most basic purposes. Seems like SQLite promises to be lightning fast and easy to use, and it also has some surprising "advanced" features (like transactions). There's some unusual stuff as well, like the almost complete absense of data types for columns (which they say is a feature not a bug).

Personally I'm inclined to be hesitant to make the switch for anything but the simplest applications, but perhaps that nervousness is unfounded. Any thoughts?

Fractured Atlas :: Liberate the Artist
Services: Healthcare, Fiscal Sponsorship, Marketing, Education, The Emerging Artists Fund
Quote Reply
Re: [hennagaijin] SQLite In reply to
Nope...haven't worked with it, although looks interesting.

Wonder why Zend is choosing to bundling SQLite rather than MySQL or even Postgres and why they removed the bundled MySQL client library?

The Change Log page does not offer much information other than that SQLite will be bundled with PHP 5. Looks like PHP 5 is going to be more compact, I like some of the changes made with the Zend Engine 2.0, especially the handling of class objects.
========================================
Buh Bye!

Cheers,
Me
Quote Reply
Re: [Stealth] SQLite In reply to
I think SQLite is designed to be embedded rather than standalone. Can that even be done with MySQL or PostgreSQL? I read something a few months ago about the MySQL guys working on an embeddable version, but I thought that was for MySQL 5. I could be mistaken, though.

Where did you hear about PHP 5 removing the bundled MySQL client library? That's news to me - it seems downright bizarre considering the popularity of PHP/MySQL as a scripting/database platform.

I, too am excited about PHP 5, especially the way they'll be adding much more mature and sophisticated options in the OO arena. Hopefully that will start to bring a little more respect for the idea of PHP being used for enterprise level projects.

EDIT: I guess I didn't really understand what you meant by "client libraries" at first... Maybe this isn't so severe as I thought. http://www.php.net/...databases.mysql.php5

Fractured Atlas :: Liberate the Artist
Services: Healthcare, Fiscal Sponsorship, Marketing, Education, The Emerging Artists Fund

Last edited by:

hennagaijin: Sep 7, 2003, 12:20 PM
Quote Reply
Re: [hennagaijin] SQLite In reply to
My understanding is that you can bundle MySQL and Postgres, but I believe you're correct that it's only available in later versions, I believe you can bundle MySQL 4.0 into apps.

In terms of the removal of MySQL client libraries, I read it in the PHP 5 Change Log web page.

I don't think that PHP has a "respect" issue, it's being used on the enterprise level more and more than days, in fact, I see the following ratios in job postings:

5:1 (ASP:PHP)
10:1 (ASP:ColdFusion)
3:1 (PHP:ColdFusion)
2:1 (ASP:Java)

Months ago, PHP was on the same level as ColdFusion in terms of programming demands of companies and organizations. I really see it as an economical and efficient programming language.

This is just one indicator of popularity/adoption by companies and organizations.

And now with the bundled SQLite option with PHP (which I hope it's an option, since many programmers probably will still want to use MySQL or other RDBMS), it is definitely carving its place in the market.

Although in terms of broad arena of Web Services, ASP/.NET and Java (and C, C++ to a smaller degree) are still the big boys, and probably remain so, for larger enterprise Web Services, however, PHP will still be attractive to many smaller to medium companies that cannot afford the god aweful license fees of these other programming options, as well as the hightened salaries for ASP/.NET and Java programmers.
========================================
Buh Bye!

Cheers,
Me