Gossamer Forum
Home : General : Databases and SQL :

PHP FILES - I've Tried everything!!

Quote Reply
PHP FILES - I've Tried everything!!
I want to install and run a pre written program (web-site) that uses PHP. I am new to this and have installed PHP 4 and appache as I have learned to do at "HTML Goodies". My php files don't seem to have associated with any program and I still can't open them. I'm very novice and really frustrated. HELP.
Quote Reply
Re: [aussiehomeshop] PHP FILES - I've Tried everything!! In reply to
This should really have gone in the Internet Technologies forum as it does not relate to SQL.

Instead of using HTML Goodies I recommend you read the INSTALL file that comes with php. It tells you pretty much everything you need to know to install php properly with apache.

Are you using windows or linux?

Last edited by:

Paul: Oct 15, 2002, 5:16 AM
Quote Reply
Re: [Paul] PHP FILES - I've Tried everything!! In reply to
Shocked Sorry about the mistake but now that I have you!!!!!I'm using windows.

I have used the installation process but Used HTML Goodies as well. The problem I have is the file association. If I've followed the procedure correctly would PHP files show up with an associated program icon. Is this an indication of something.
Quote Reply
No, they won't show up with an associated file icon.

All you need to do is unzip the php zip file into, say, c:\php and then follow the install file, and specifically:

Quote:
If you would like to use PHP as a module in Apache,
you should move php4ts.dll to the windows/system (for Windows 9x/Me)
or winnt/system32 (for Windows NT/2000) directory, overwriting any
older file. Then you should add the following two lines to you Apache
conf file:

LoadModule php4_module c:/php/sapi/php4apache.dll
AddType application/x-httpd-php .php

Remember to restart the server
Quote Reply
I didn't get a zip file coz I used the esay windows installation - is there something in that. (thanks RE: associated icons.)
Quote Reply
.....................And I did check that the system file was in place and it is.
Quote Reply
I found the windows installer to be sucky so I did a manual install. I found it much easier.

You just have to unzip the file, move the dll into your system directory and php.ini too then edit httpd.conf
Quote Reply
Angelic I'll uninstall this one then and go and find the manual one. By the way - when you start apache does it it just open very briefly in a console and then disappear, or should it be remaining open.????
Quote Reply
It can do either depending on the option you chose. If you installed it as a service it will open then close.
Quote Reply
The page cannot be displayedThis is still happening when I try to open a php in my Ie ex browser. I've done the manual install. I've checked that the doc root and directory are correct. I have php files in there and I can't open them???Frown