Gossamer Forum
Home : General : Databases and SQL :

MySQL and MaxDB

Quote Reply
MySQL and MaxDB
Hey guys, I found you guys on google looking for a problem and looked around and searched a bit but I can't quite find what I'm, looking for. I've found a problem similar but it was on a UNIX/Linux system and a remote DB whereas this is on a WindowsXP system and a loca DB. The problem is, the noobishest of them all, "-4 communication error." Since Windows is such a "lovely" OS and my client doens't want to mess around with Linux and can't afford anything else like, MS access. Of course I can't argue, my first PAID computer job :D. What I'm doing is building a database for an online store and he wants it as cheap as possible, he'd go free but I won't do it for free.

Here's what I do, and I've tried running a MySQL server on the local machine and still didn't work, then again this is my first look at MySQL. I open MaxDB Database Manager 7.5.00.11 and I click the CREATE button. The welcome screen pops up and I click on...NEXT. I Choose a BLANK DB and click...NEXT. I leave the database server as <Local> and leave the port text box empty. I enter "MYDB" for the database name...and that's all folks. I get a pop-up window that says "-4 communication error." I've checked the Help and I can't find anything. I did a search on -4 and came up empty handed and also check out the error messages content and it likes to skip my numbers. I have tried running a MySQL server on the computer and set it up that way, and still nothing. Of course I'm not the greatest DB "guru" but I do have MS ACCESS 2000 & 2003 experience, if that's worth anything to you :P Oh yeah and Oracle 9i. I haven't RTFM yet but I plan on soon. He wants it up by June 15 and wants me to teach him how to do it so he doesn't have to pay me to make changes, I don't care I just need money, you know what the economy and all human life is based on, other than computers :P I hope someone can help me with this error or tell me "RTFM it's in there." I just spent the better half of a day on google and in the MaxDB help and found jack...

The other error seemed to be something to do with the X-windws system for linux, he was also running it as root. This is why I don't think that will help me, I don't have any x-windows...windows and all.

It's now quitting time and I just missed my bus.

Thanks
Wayne

Last edited by:

acidfourtyfive: May 26, 2004, 4:49 PM