Gossamer Forum
Home : General : Chit Chat :

regarding spam mail

(Page 1 of 4)
> >
Quote Reply
regarding spam mail
Just thought I would mention this as several said they get a lot of spam mail from their web sites.

I have found over the past year that if I only use emails which include "nospam@...." then my email does NOT get added to lists created by the scripts that extract email addys from sites.

Those extractors must have a filter that exclude the word 'spam' within the email. Give it a try and use the nospam@ in all references to your email addy and I think you will see a big decrease in the amount of spam you receive.

This of course will not get you off existing lists :(

After getting over 60 spam messages a day for several years with having my email posted on websites, I now only recieve perhaps one a month if that :)

I do find it very helpful to report all spam mail using SpamCop http://spamcop.net/

Unoffical DBMan FAQ

http://creativecomputingweb.com/dbman/index.shtml/
Quote Reply
Re: [LoisC] regarding spam mail In reply to
Another way to mask your email on a website
is via this nice JavaScript function:

Code:
<script LANGUAGE="JavaScript">
<!-- // Hide real email address.
function ToMailer(a) {
RE = /^(.+)\*(.+)$/;
var launch = a.replace(RE,"mailto:$1@$2");
window.location = launch;
}
// End -->
</script>

Then:

Code:
<a href="javascript:ToMailer('you*yoursite.com')">Email-Me!</a>

This works well in keeping robots from gathering your email :-)

~ ERASER

Free JavaScripts @ Insight Eye

Last edited by:

Eraser: Apr 24, 2002, 1:05 AM
Quote Reply
Re: [Eraser] regarding spam mail In reply to
The most effective way I've done is to create an image of your email address and post it as an image. No spam robot can read images, yet ... The only unfortunate backlash from this is usability for blind users - but there is a way around this by spelling your email out phenotically in your ALT tags, as in "type wil the at sign fba group as one word dot com" :-)

Hope this helps.

- wil
Quote Reply
Re: [Eraser] regarding spam mail In reply to
Or the best way is just not to post a text email address on your site...use contact forms (but make sure you don't post that they are insecure when there are prying eyes aroundWink).

Last edited by:

Paul: Apr 24, 2002, 2:29 AM
Quote Reply
Re: [Paul] regarding spam mail In reply to
Use multiple email accounts. Use one for subscribing to services and what not, then ignore it thereafter to avoid the spam. Also use filtering macros in your email client :-) On the email address I post publicly here in the forum, any email to the account get's thrown out if it didn't come from an authorized source or does/doesn't contain certain keywords.

--Philip
Links 2.0 moderator
Quote Reply
Re: [] regarding spam mail In reply to
There was an in-depth (well, as deep as /. goes <g>) article about this on slashdot a few weeks back:

http://slashdot.org/...sid=02/03/21/1836223

- wil
Quote Reply
Spam with VIRUS! In reply to
I just want to say, (and I am not re-visting any other post in this area here), that the amount of spam I am getting from two particular sites has doubled since yesterday. Nearly all of the messages contain the worm virus.

The spammer signed me up with two names, under which all my spam is comming to me under. Easy solution is to block by name here, but I went a step further, and blocked the whole site! The spams are coming from *.com.br.

I checked them up on Spamcop, but no info.
Quote Reply
Re: [sooke] Spam with VIRUS! In reply to
I've recieved this virus alert from my AntiVirus supplier today. It seems that it's spreading quite rapidly.

Is this the same on as you're getting?

- wil
Quote Reply
Re: [Wil] Spam with VIRUS! In reply to
Yes it is, but this is seperate to the ones I mentioned. Could be the case of the supplier cashing in on the cure here ie spreading the virus and hoping to catch people wanting the cure???

Outlook filtering bewilders me.... I am going to turn to my host for these bad boys (spam msgs).
Quote Reply
I just make sure /var/qmail/control/databytes is fairly low so the sucker bounces right back at em ;)

Last edited by:

Paul: Apr 24, 2002, 10:34 AM
Quote Reply
Re: [Paul] Spam with VIRUS! In reply to
And all your other mail :-)

- wil
Quote Reply
Re: [LoisC] regarding spam mail In reply to
You know I am now getting spam from blue chip companies like Novell. I have been signed up to a lot of mailing lists lately Unsure

After today, I will have pretty decent blocking going on so it will be a waste of time for the spammer.
Quote Reply
Err nope. Works nicely if you set it at the right size...bounced a bitmap back at Jagerman..hehe
Quote Reply
Well it happened. My machine fell over and I have been installing Norton Internet Secuirty for the last twenty minutes.

I was attacked by several viruses as a direct result of this spam attack!

The attack took my computer out for three hours, with the ability to do nothing - you know the scenario.

One of the viruses was detected and removed by the software/warning posted on the Norton web site. They have a free removal prog. just for this virus.

http://securityresponse.symantec.com/...ez.removal.tool.html

My host suggested I delete my mailbox, which I am not going to do..... crazy suggestion, how am I supposed to get mail???

In any case watch out for those spams guys and girls!!! Unless you have the latest and greatest methods and anti-virus software working for you.... its going to happen.

http://www.iuni.com/...tware/web/index.html
Links Plugins

Last edited by:

sooke: Apr 24, 2002, 3:26 PM
Quote Reply
>>
Unless you have the latest and greatest methods and anti-virus software working for you.... its going to happen.
<<

You don't get viruses without doing something to activate them. ie you have to click an executable file.

Are you saying you got infected without doing that?....
Quote Reply
Where on earth did you get that idea Paul? Many viruses these days are integrated into the source code. For example, one I had once on my old PC..that ran a command via the email, which totally screwed up my machine, gave me loads of blue screens..and then deleted all my emails!

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Want to give me something back for my help? Please see my Amazon Wish List
GLinks ULTRA Package | GLinks ULTRA Package PRO
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
Re: [Andy.] Spam with VIRUS! In reply to
Andy

What? Are you trying to imply that viruses are built into your operating system or the software you are using?

With viruses, you must physically execute the dodgy looking attachment you recieve through your email. And, IMO, it's your own fault for doing so in the first place. <g>.

- wil
Quote Reply
I'm not at all implying that. I'm just saying, that viruses CAN and ARE integrated into emails, without the user having to execute the attachment. For example, worms. They do't show as attachment, you just have to view the email for it to infect you!

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
Hm. That is surely not true? How can someone write a plain/text email that was a full c++ or vb worm? That is absolutely impossible. Sorry!

- wil
Quote Reply
Quote:
Do I get infected by virus from just opening the mail?

Yes, there are viruses that can infect the PC without launching the application. Such viruses can penetrate through some email client applications, i.e. Microsoft Outlook. For Microsoft Outlook users they are adviced to remove the scripting tool facility. However, virus infections happen when you launch or execute file attachments without first scanning the file for any known virus.

http://www.sans.org/...ook/alerts/virus.htm

Last edited by:

Paul: Apr 25, 2002, 3:35 AM
Quote Reply
Aha. Microsoft Outlook. I should've known! Why on earth does it execute scripts and stuff by default - such such such a stupid program! Grr...

Why don't people just use a decent email client and we can eliminate these worms for good! :-)

- wil
Quote Reply
Checkout the URL I just added above. This bug is likely to be fixed now seeing as it was found 2 years ago.

Last edited by:

Paul: Apr 25, 2002, 3:36 AM
Quote Reply
Yeah - I hope so. I still don't understand why people would want to use MS Outlook, though. Every single worm I've heard of repeatedly say ".. and sends to everyone in your Microsoft Outlook Address book .. " la di la. Ugh.

- wil
Quote Reply
Thank you Paul..you proved my point Tongue I used to have Outlook Express 6, and that still seemed to have that flaw...so maybe M$ havn't fixed it :| I know that Outlook 2002 has it fixed by default, but you can change the settings to run files/codes within emails. I have also noticed a lot of emails coming through with stuff like;

Quote:
<HTML><HEAD></HEAD><BODY>
<iframe src=cid:Eps52a1Fi212 height=0 width=0>
</iframe>
<FONT></FONT></BODY></HTML>

I'm not really sure if this is a virus...or what. But there is no attachment, so if there is a virus, it isn't running on my PC :)

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Quote Reply
>>
Every single worm I've heard of repeatedly say ".. and sends to everyone in your Microsoft Outlook Address book .. " la di la. Ugh.
<<

Haven't we been through this before :)

Thats because most people use Outlook so it's obviously going to be targetted the most....you realise why hackers spread viruses?....its to affect as many people as possible...they aren't going to achieve much trying to spread viruses around pine users Cool
> >