Gossamer Forum
Home : General : Chit Chat :

hard drive RMA concerns

Quote Reply
hard drive RMA concerns
it's an IBM DeskStar. I'm not sure extactly what's wrong with it. sometimes it reads/writes fine, but more often it seems to just "stall".

According to the manufacturers web site, scratches on the drive will void the warranty. The drive I'm sending back has thin scratches along the sides from inserting/removing the drive a few times. you wouldn't even notice the scratches if they hadn't painted the drive black. anyway, to what extent are they talking about? how can they void a warranty based on normal tiny cosmetic scratches caused by installation?

my other question is what do they do with the drives when they get them? I'm sure they'll run a diagnostic test, but do they chuck 'em, repair 'em or what? how can I ensure data on the drive is completely unrecoverable for the next consumer, assuming the drive is repaired? The disk as it is now only has a few accessible files but in the past had scads of sensitive data (credit cards, etc.).

Philip
------------------
Limecat is not pleased.
Quote Reply
Re: [fuzzy logic] hard drive RMA concerns In reply to
Hi,

I don't think superficial scratches will matter (we've rma'd drives before that have had worse).

As for erasing data, you could try:

http://www.tolvanen.com/eraser/

which is an open source data removal tool.

Cheers,

Alex
--
Gossamer Threads Inc.
Quote Reply
Re: [fuzzy logic] hard drive RMA concerns In reply to
In Reply To:
According to the manufacturers web site, scratches on the drive will void the warranty. The drive I'm sending back has thin scratches along the sides from inserting/removing the drive a few times. you wouldn't even notice the scratches if they hadn't painted the drive black. anyway, to what extent are they talking about? how can they void a warranty based on normal tiny cosmetic scratches caused by installation?
That's nothing to worry about. They're more concerned with scratches or damage to the drive caused by dropping or something like that.

In Reply To:
my other question is what do they do with the drives when they get them? I'm sure they'll run a diagnostic test, but do they chuck 'em, repair 'em or what? how can I ensure data on the drive is completely unrecoverable for the next consumer, assuming the drive is repaired? The disk as it is now only has a few accessible files but in the past had scads of sensitive data (credit cards, etc.).
Not sure what they do, but I believe they might use some for parts. If you're really paranoid about your data being recovered, they say you have to low level format it like 7+ times using various methods before it's complete irrecoverable Smile. I myself would just low level format it once or twice.

Adrian
Quote Reply
Re: [brewt] hard drive RMA concerns In reply to
I can screw with the partition table, but it seems I can't format the damned thing, at least from my XP Pro CD. I got it started, and left it alone to read email, and 45 minutes later it was still at 0%.

the DFT program from Hitachi/IBM gives me a result code of "0x75 -defective device, component failure", failing the disk scan at "0x000CC0 (003264)" each time I run it.

Philip
------------------
Limecat is not pleased.