Gossamer Forum
Home : General : Chit Chat :

cd burner exploded

Quote Reply
cd burner exploded
I'm just going about my business and all of the sudden a loud noise eminates from my pc. upon inspecting every piece of hardware, I discovered my cd burner was the cause of the noice. I had taken out the drive and opened it up to discover hundreds of WindowsXP cd shards loose in it. Damn it!, I thought. $150 for the cd burner, $200 for the cd. What gives? What causes a cd drive to do that?

Philip
------------------
Limecat is not pleased.
Quote Reply
Re: [fuzzy thoughts] cd burner exploded In reply to
heat can do that, cd`s are made up of two layers of plastic with a data layer in the midle a bit like a laminated windscreen on your car. When one layer heats up faster than the other stresses are introduced and if you had a slightly dodgy cd it may shatter just like your windscreen. I use a tower with 6 bays so I can either space the components or fit extra bay fans. CD burners can get real hot if your writing lots of small files and DVD burners suffer even more. Hard drives especially the latest high speed IDE`s can get very hot, best not to put them under a cd or burner unit, and if poss place inside a fanned caddy.

chmod
Quote Reply
Re: [chmod] cd burner exploded In reply to
Microsoft Office CDs are well known for shattering in CD drives. It's been a long running joke over at http://www.computing.co.uk/. It seems that the quality of the discs used in Office 2000/2002 could not withstand the heat that some cd drives generated.

- wil
Quote Reply
Re: [chmod] cd burner exploded In reply to
Here's the thing, though... It happened within minutes of turning on the computer, and the drive wasn't even in use. In my current set up I had my cdrw on the top bay, a bay fan in the middle, and then my dvd-rom on the bottom.

The closest thing to this that's ever happened to me was when I accidently stacked two dvd's in my RCA dvd player. the dvd on top got a sort of spiral crack from being launched around the drive bay.

It was a TDK VeloCD 40/12/48. I'll be getting another of the same model since this seemed to be an otherwise very good burner. I ordered a 650 watt power supply and a server case that has two side fans and 4 rear fans on it a few days before this happened. I can't wait til it's delivered. I plan to consolidate the drives from my oldes pc into my new one, so I'll only have two computers to deal with now.

Philip
------------------
Limecat is not pleased.
Quote Reply
Re: [fuzzy thoughts] cd burner exploded In reply to
Charge M$ for your repair bill Wink

I've heard a urban legend that years back a CD player could get stuck and the laser would burn a hole through the CD and what not. Well. like I said. A legend.

Why does PC hardware get so hot? My 2 Apple Towers never got that hot that I needed to open the case.

oh well, I guess with part replacements .... the cheap PC prices are still worth it Angelic

openoffice + gimp + sketch ... Smile