Gossamer Forum
Home : General : Chit Chat :

anybody use CPanel / WebHostManager?

Quote Reply
anybody use CPanel / WebHostManager?
My hosting service uses Cpanel ... I've been trying to get more information on this system, but can't seem to find the site that actually makes it ... unless web.cpanel.net is it???

then again ... it seems to be just a bunch of scripts tied together with some java, intergrated into apache.

hmmm .... ALEX ... you folks got anything like this in the works?

openoffice + gimp + sketch ... Smile
Quote Reply
Re: [QooQ] anybody use CPanel / WebHostManager? In reply to
Ditto....been looking for something like this for ages.

There seems to be a really common one with big buttons in the right frame and on the left it tells you your IP/usage/bandwidth/email etc....but I can't find it anywhere
Quote Reply
=> http://web.cpanel.net/

My hosting company is also using Cpanel, but there seems to be constant technical trouble, as it is full of flaws.
Quote Reply
Re: [Tho.mas] anybody use CPanel / WebHostManager? In reply to
Yep. That's a really buggy piece of software.

- wil
Quote Reply
Re: [Wil] anybody use CPanel / WebHostManager? In reply to
This is really horrible piece of server software. CPanel controls the user side of the server and WHM (web host manager) help you set up new accounts. I unfortunately have this on my dedicated server as it came as default with the set up. You cant remove the dam thing unless you wipe the hard disk and start from scratch installing the OS and apache etc.

Despite this being a terrible clobbered together collection of server controlling scripts, it remains very popular amongst hosting companies but you can't purchase the software if you want it, but have to rent the program on a monthly basis that cost hundreds.

The only server controlling software I recommend is Webmin ( http://www.webmin.com ) this great program complements the server setup not take control of it like CPanel/WHM.

Oh and if your wanting manuals that are useful, forget that too. I have never read such unhelpful bollix as that from the CPanel in my life.

~ ERASER

Free JavaScripts @ Insight Eye

Last edited by:

Eraser: Oct 31, 2001, 8:08 AM
Quote Reply
Re: [Eraser] anybody use CPanel / WebHostManager? In reply to
My web host (http://www.dreamhost.com) have written their own (took them bloody months to get it all right) but it's an amazingly powerful piece of kit. I'm well happy with it.

I've told them they should sell the code many times, but it's far too customized for anyone else to make any use of it.

- wil
Quote Reply
Re: [Wil] anybody use CPanel / WebHostManager? In reply to
In theory writing the actual code for a control panel would be simple (the majority of the code at least) but it would just take a long time.

You would just need to make sure the code was good otherwise it could get real screwed up.
Quote Reply
I have been looking at e-commerce scripts recently and Cpanel causes a lot of problems when you try and run Redhat (Akopia) Interchange.

I think my host uses PlusMail web control. I don't have a url though.Frown
--
Rob

SW Montana's Online Community
Modular Model Railroading
Quote Reply
Re: [vanderen] anybody use CPanel / WebHostManager? In reply to
the hosting service I'm with has Interchange running with cpanel ...

-----------------------

I not sure about the bugginess of cpanel but from a users stand point, YES I did notice that have of the options never work and or show wrong data.

-----------------------

Is webmin basically the same as cpanel? It seems really interesting since it's a freebsd type of license. But if the license is no problem then why don't more companies use this?

---------------------

so what cha all think? cpanel looks like just a bunch of scripts slapped together and costs about US$100 a month while webmin is freeBSD type of thing. I'm not really looking to host or even will in the near future but the thought of getting my own dedicated server has always been very tempting since a friend is also thinking the same. We'd probably split the costs and share space ... then invite a few friends and that's it.

Quote Reply
.....webmin trashed my server :(
Quote Reply
Re: [RedRum] anybody use CPanel / WebHostManager? In reply to
Unsure

hmmm I was almost tempted to download that puppy since there's a versin available for my system, glad you post about that here.

did you do this just recently?

Quote Reply
A couple of months ago - all seemed to be working great and then I rebooted the server and it all went kaput. Called the server manufacturer and they said in no uncertain terms not to use webmin.
Quote Reply
In Reply To:
the hosting service I'm with has Interchange running with cpanel ...

Who is your host and are you using Interchange?

It seems like they can work together properly, but there seem to be some configuration issues, particularly with cpanel.

Anyhow, all I really know is what I read over at webhostingtalk.

I looked and my host has changed to WebControl, a SiteMadeEasy tool. I did a google search and found some hosts that offer it, but no source company.
--
Rob

SW Montana's Online Community
Modular Model Railroading
Quote Reply
Re: [vanderen] anybody use CPanel / WebHostManager? In reply to
a friend and I spent close to an hour looking for cpanel and the vdi original???

I use intrahost.com <--- price wise probably not the cheapest but I liked the owner's sales pitch. He's probably a 1 man operation.

it seems that a lot of server side management scripts/programs are like that ... no source company, hmmm ... slap together a few scripts with a few friends and offer a service ... cpanel seems to be the same.

Quote Reply
Quote:
Is webmin basically the same as cpanel? It seems really interesting since it's a freebsd type of license. But if the license is no problem then why don't more companies use this?
One of the biggest hosting companies that host sites like BT uses webmin. - rackspace.com and no, its nothing like cpanel. If you don't like it, you can simply remove it whereas with cpanel you cant.

~ ERASER

Last edited by:

Eraser: Nov 1, 2001, 12:16 AM
Quote Reply
sounds interesting, gotta look into it some more.

thanks

Quote Reply
A Gossamer-Threads Server Management / Webhost Client managing script would be good.
Cheers,
Michael Bray
Quote Reply
Web Server Manager In reply to
Hey Folks

If you're looking for a Web Server Manager, send an email to :

jeff@newdream.net

The company he works for, Dreamhost, is currently developing their own, and it's looking really really good! And I mean, proper good! It's in production at the moment, but they have a test are up, where people can download, install and discuss.

Definitily worth a look anyway. Send an email off and he'll be able to give you more details.

Cheers

Wil

- wil
Quote Reply
In Reply To:
This is really horrible piece of server software. CPanel controls the user side of the server and WHM (web host manager) help you set up new accounts. I unfortunately have this on my dedicated server as it came as default with the set up. You cant remove the dam thing unless you wipe the hard disk and start from scratch installing the OS and apache etc.

Despite this being a terrible clobbered together collection of server controlling scripts, it remains very popular amongst hosting companies but you can't purchase the software if you want it, but have to rent the program on a monthly basis that cost hundreds.

The only server controlling software I recommend is Webmin ( http://www.webmin.com ) this great program complements the server setup not take control of it like CPanel/WHM.

Oh and if your wanting manuals that are useful, forget that too. I have never read such unhelpful bollix as that from the CPanel in my life.

Hi

I have webmin installed on my redhat server and i need an add-on to enable user (customers) to modify or add new apache virtual server on your domains, create mail-boxes, etc....

Somebody can help-me?

jonis@jonis.cjb.net
Quote Reply
Re: [LifeGuarD] anybody use CPanel / WebHostManager? In reply to
Unlikely as webmin is not designed to allow access to end users account holders. There is a separate program from the same people called 'usermin' for account holders, perhaps you should see what that program offers you.

~ ERASER

Quote Reply
Yes, but usermin donīt have support for customers....

E.g.: cretae sub-domains, create mailboxes for my domain (domain of customer), etc.... like cpanel....

[]īs
Quote Reply
Re: [LifeGuarD] anybody use CPanel / WebHostManager? In reply to
I've just been to the webmin site and found these...

FAQ Question 17:
http://www.webmin.com/faq.html

ISP Add-on Modules:
http://webmin.thirdpartymodules.com/?page=ISP+Software

~ ERASER

Last edited by:

Eraser: Apr 2, 2002, 12:42 AM
Quote Reply
Tks!! Sly

Thats it!! :)

About isp add-on, is not right....these add-ons are for automate creation off users and webīs, not for easy access from customers...

Tks again! =)