Gossamer Forum
Home : General : Chit Chat :

XP and Popups

Quote Reply
XP and Popups
If anyone is having problems with popups and you are using XP then attached is a huge list of ad servers that you can use to block a lot of popups.

The file goes in \WINDOWS\System32\Drivers\etc
Quote Reply
Re: [Paul] XP and Popups In reply to
haha Laugh

openoffice + gimp + sketch ... Smile
Quote Reply
Re: [QooQ] XP and Popups In reply to
Warning.... ireplacing your hosts file with this will cause 404's all over the place.

Philip
------------------
Limecat is not pleased.
Quote Reply
Re: [fuzzy thoughts] XP and Popups In reply to
No it won't. I've been using it without problems.

It will block popups completely, why would you get 404's?
Quote Reply
That file CANNOT block popups. It can however, block the resulting ads and html files by means of routing domains and ip's to your localhost.

Philip
------------------
Limecat is not pleased.
Quote Reply
Re: [fuzzy thoughts] XP and Popups In reply to
Yeah it's not specifically a popup blocker but it denies the blocked hosts and so they can't popup any ads.

At least that's the result I've experienced. I've not had any popups giving 404's

If you try to access a blocked site IE doesn't give you a 404 it totally denies access.
Quote Reply
Re: [QooQ] XP and Popups In reply to
Cool
Quote Reply
oooooooh, wonderful! :)

I've been wondering about something like this for awhile. (I started to manually edit my hosts file)

It's a satisfying feeling to see the 404 errors running into my apache's error_log ;)

Also great is that assuming all the traffic on your local system uses the hosts file as the first level query for resolution, some naughty software trying to call home (eg. gator.com) may be may be access.
Quote Reply
Re: [Aki] XP and Popups In reply to
ho hum ...
http://www.macosxhints.com

A bunch of us got peeved about nimda and posted almost a year ago about this. Then a nice fella came along and posted information. hehe I used to use that hosts file.

It cut out a lot of ads to from pages on sites.

Cool

openoffice + gimp + sketch ... Smile
Quote Reply
Try Popup Zero Pro4.0 at www.pcssafe.com. It's compatible with IE, Netscape and AOL