Gossamer Forum
Home : General : Chit Chat :

Wi-Fi

Quote Reply
Wi-Fi
Everyone seems to be talking Wi-Fi these days, Apple, Microsoft, phone companies like Telstra etc.

I am wondering if anyone is actually using wi-fi on a daily basis, and if it is actually useful, or just hype to gain back lost $$.

I hear stories of range, and speed issues, which fall way below the specifications.

What is better, 'g' or 'b' standard?

Last edited by:

Ian: Mar 22, 2003, 7:58 AM
Quote Reply
Re: [Ian] Wi-Fi In reply to
I've never even heard of Wi-Fi Unsure

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Want to give me something back for my help? Please see my Amazon Wish List
GLinks ULTRA Package | GLinks ULTRA Package PRO
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
And what about all the wi-fi security issues?
Quote Reply
Re: [ArmyAirForces] Wi-Fi In reply to
Exactly... I feel there are less articles around on this, now that these big companies are pushing the technology.

Just how secure is your connection when you are sitting at an airport in one of these "hotspots"?
Quote Reply
It wouldn't take much to set something up to suck up a lot of wi-fi data. It's not that much more of a technological leap than cell phone cloning operations.

And we all know that airports are a prime target for gangs collecting calling card numbers, snagging lap tops, etc. It wouldn't be a stretch to see them go high tech & wi-fi and get your business/financial data.
Quote Reply
Re: [Andy] Wi-Fi In reply to
Andy, Wi-Fi, is wireless internet.... in the Mac world it is Airport. And there are all sorts of wireless products appearing, and wireless stations or "hotspots" being put up every day around the world.

I read yesterday that the Australian phone company and some Asian companies are getting together to install 200,000 hotspots jointly.

I see little advantages at this stage when compared to the hard wired points already at airports, because of issues such as security, and range.

Has the technology changed enough to address these issues and make Wi-Fi more than just another gimmik (for want of a better word), is my question.
Quote Reply
Ah that's right, Airport, funny.
Quote Reply
We are using wi-fi in our office and quite happy with it. We are using networkcard mark address to ensure security. We have an Intel 54 mbps access point.

Klaus

http://www.ameinfo.com
Quote Reply
Re: [klauslovgreen] Wi-Fi In reply to
If you don't mind me asking, how many connections do you have? What kind of real throughput are you getting on these connections?
Quote Reply
We are 12 machines connected to one accesspoint and get an average of 20-24 mbps (considering 90% of our work is online and we have 2mbps connection to the web ) so more than enough really..

Klaus

Quote Reply
Re: [klauslovgreen] Wi-Fi In reply to
That sounds pretty good actually.

Did you have any problems with range? For example inter-floor or inter-office?
Quote Reply
no not at all - it should be said that we have very few concrete walls most are glass partitions. But never had any problems (6 months now)

Klaus