Gossamer Forum
Home : General : Chit Chat :

Who's moderating around here?

Quote Reply
Who's moderating around here?
It's been a spamtastic weekend on the forums.

I've had to disable post reply notifications after I got 122 emails this morning. Contacted GT direct and they have acknowledged my e-mail but they're still coming thick 'n' fast.

Who's moderating?
Quote Reply
Re: [MJB] Who's moderating around here? In reply to
Tell me about it! I got Alex to move them all using the database (as there were TONS of them). We've blocked the offending IP (China believe it or not!!!) so hoping not to have this problem any more.

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Want to give me something back for my help? Please see my Amazon Wish List
GLinks ULTRA Package | GLinks ULTRA Package PRO
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
Re: [Andy] Who's moderating around here? In reply to
Cleaner required.

Got another 100+ emails again.
Quote Reply
I know. I had to wait for GT to come online to get rid of them. Seems like these damn Chinese are going mental. They were coming from about 10 different IP addresses... and as soon as I blocked 1, it came up with a new one. We've blocked the whole range now, so I'm hoping that will stop it. I had to disable my email notifications as well, cos it was doing my head in as well Mad ... not actually even sure what these spammers think they are getting out of it (they have crap text as a subject - and no contents... so whats the point????)

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
Re: [Andy] Who's moderating around here? In reply to
Seem to be having some problem with my settings.

Post Reply Notify: [X] Checked by default - [ ] Unchecked by default

I change it to "Unchecked by default" but when I go back in to settings it's reverted back to "Checked by default". I've cleared browser cache and deleted cookies.

Does it not relate to any previous posts, only new ones from the time you change it?
Quote Reply
Ugh, really sorry about the email spam. We'll be putting in some countermeasures today to hopefully stop this once and for all.
--
Gossamer Threads Inc.
Quote Reply
I think it only affects old posts... I could be wrong though (I just set up my gmail account to auto-delete them as soon as they came into my inbox)

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Quote Reply
Phew - at least blocking that seemed to have done the trick! Whistle

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk