Gossamer Forum
Home : General : Chit Chat :

What the world thinks of America

Quote Reply
What the world thinks of America
This will be interesting, I'll have to make sure I don't miss it.
http://www.abc.net.au/america/
There is a really good discussion going on in there forum.
http://www2b.abc.net.au/america/forum/

Bob
http://totallyfreeads.com.au
Quote Reply
Re: [lanerj] What the world thinks of America In reply to
I like this article by Clare Short

http://news.bbc.co.uk/...politics/2969916.stm

I'll just lift one quote, which if you read in greater details, makes a lot of sense:

"... too few Americans seem to understand that American power cannot make America safe."

- wil
Quote Reply
Yeah, I saw that advertised on TV yesterday. I don't really have time to watch it, but I can imagine it will cause quite a stir up.

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Want to give me something back for my help? Please see my Amazon Wish List
GLinks ULTRA Package | GLinks ULTRA Package PRO
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
Re: [Andy] What the world thinks of America In reply to
What's next, "Live from Albanian National Television, what the world thinks of Latvia"?

Tongue
Quote Reply
Re: [ArmyAirForces] What the world thinks of America In reply to
Well, they obviously don't have anything else better to do than create documentries on stuff like this Tongue

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Want to give me something back for my help? Please see my Amazon Wish List
GLinks ULTRA Package | GLinks ULTRA Package PRO
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
I expect no surprises as recent worldwide polls and individual national polls in various countries (notably the Muslim nations, and many Asian and EU nations including the countries that supported the US-led war on terrorism and [fill in country name here] regime change) indicate an escalating negative and hostile opinion of the United States, and Bush (who just a few years ago probably could not find Iraq on a map). But as the US is now driven towards isolationism and protectionism for the singular goal of self-preservation and self interests at the exclusion of all others at all costs, we can expect this trend to continue - especially with the US as the only superpower and supreme leader of the so-called Free World, casting its hawkish shadow over the globe. Recent (local) elections in Spain and Italy indicate that the tide may be turning for the support for the US. In Canada, the Liberals (who did not support the US-Iraq war, and whom some of its MPs have made some apparent anti-US comments) continue to dominate in the polls - set for yet another majour majority government in the next election. And as an aside but related matter, two thumbs up for the newly formed EU Armed Forces (another nuclear-capable superpower in the making - who hopefully will eventually replace NATO).

----
Cheers,

Dan
Founder and CEO

LionsGate Creative
GoodPassRobot
Magelln
Quote Reply
Re: [dan] What the world thinks of America In reply to
Perhaps you should run for US presidency as you are so righteous.
Quote Reply
Re: [Wil] What the world thinks of America In reply to
I like this article by Clare Short

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/2969916.stm
------ Quote:
"The sadness of all this is that it is in the interest of the US and American people, as well as all the rest of us, to build a commitment to international justice and the rule of law."

"And we cannot build such a world without a strong commitment to work together through the UN and work to increase its effectiveness and decisiveness."

It was kind of a short article as these are the last two paragraphs. I was really hoping Ms. Short take the opportunity to explain how the "commitment to international justice and the rule of law" and the UN's "effectiveness and decisiveness" applied to Iraq's invations of Kuwait and Iran, the poison gassing of Kurds, prisons for children of disendents, amputations of limbs, ears, etc, physical torture, summary executions, etc. etc.................
--
Rob

SW Montana's Online Community
Modular Model Railroading
Quote Reply
Re: [BeaverheadRiver] What the world thinks of America In reply to
Claire Short is just a limelight seeking PM who happens to be in a position where people (unfortunately) listen to what she has to say.

Ignore her.

Last edited by:

Paul: Jun 11, 2003, 3:02 PM
Quote Reply
Re: [Paul] What the world thinks of America In reply to
Eh?

She's actually not in the limelight and nobody listens to her. She lost all credibility with her fellow politicans and every pro-war supporter after her climb-down over her original resignation. What she says now carries little punch except for the anti-war movement, but still I find her papers an interesting read.

- wil