Gossamer Forum
Home : General : Chit Chat :

Virus

Quote Reply
Virus
I just received an email from jack@gossamer-threads.com that contained the subject - "Document" and the body - "Important!". There appear to have been two files attached - "Part-2.zip" and "Part-2.txt" that were deleted by Norton because they contained the W32.Netsky.Z@mm virus.
Better check your system Jack! Although it's probaby someone else using your address.
Did anyone else get it?
Simon.
Quote Reply
Re: [jai] Virus In reply to
Hi Simon,

It's definitely someone else. =) The Netsky virus forges the from line to people in a users address book.

I'm sure there could be a good 6 degrees of separation game coming out of all this though.. =)

Cheers,

Alex
--
Gossamer Threads Inc.
Quote Reply
Re: [Alex] Virus In reply to
In Reply To:
Hi Simon,

It's definitely someone else. =) The Netsky virus forges the from line to people in a users address book.

I'm sure there could be a good 6 degrees of separation game coming out of all this though.. =)

Cheers,

Alex

I get failure notices all the time :( (mainly from non-existant addresses, or bounced because they have a virus in).

I *know* I don't have the virus.... so it has to be someone else. I guess its just one of those things you have to look out for :(

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Want to give me something back for my help? Please see my Amazon Wish List
GLinks ULTRA Package | GLinks ULTRA Package PRO
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
Re: [Andy] Virus In reply to
I've recently been getting a lot of emails with my own address which is a real pain as my spam filter doesn't stop them . Any ideas how to get around this without having to remove my own address from my white list?
Thanks
Simon.
Quote Reply
I just use a program called PocoMail, which has a built in virus scanner + spam filter.

Outlook + Outlook XP also have "add-ons", which will attempt to pick out, and filter, spam (even from the same account).

Not sure about other ways :(

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Want to give me something back for my help? Please see my Amazon Wish List
GLinks ULTRA Package | GLinks ULTRA Package PRO
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
Use a well trained bayesian filter. It works wonders (I get about 3k spam a day tagged properly). Have a look at:

http://www.gossamer-threads.com/...i?post=263666#263666

for some tips.

Cheers,

Alex
--
Gossamer Threads Inc.