Gossamer Forum
Home : General : Chit Chat :

USA vs IRAQ

(Page 1 of 2)
> >
Quote Reply
USA vs IRAQ
This is scaring me again now. Dick (hmm appropriate name) doesn't seem to be concerned with the general consensus that people don't want a war on Iraq and an "attack" seems more and more likely, in my opinion at least.

I so don't like the way the future of an entire country (and possibly several other countries) lies in the hands of just some guy and his colleagues. Let's face it, the White House is not some super power with unparralled intelligence and skill, it is just an organization made up of normal people like you and me (well I'm a little above average but I won't go into that now).

Nostradamus may not be as wrong as people thought. That whole thing about the world ending in 2000 may just be a little delayed :)

I think Mr Bush is confusing Saddam with Osama and thinks he can just do what they did in Afghanistan and bomb their way to success, welp that won't really work with Saddam and you'll be getting a whole load of bombs right back atcha.

If anyone wants me, I'll be on a plane to Greenland, I think I should be fairly safe there.

Last edited by:

Paul: Aug 27, 2002, 9:43 AM
Quote Reply
Re: [Paul] USA vs IRAQ In reply to
Quote:
If anyone wants me, I'll be on a plane to Greenland, I think I should be fairly safe there.
Stay away from the whale bubbler porridge, it will get you every time.

http://www.iuni.com/...tware/web/index.html
Links Plugins
Quote Reply
Re: [Ian] USA vs IRAQ In reply to
bubbler?

Did you mean blubber?

Smile
Quote Reply
Try saying blubber with a mouth full of it.

Links Plugins
Quote Reply
But you were typing it Wink
Quote Reply
I am using via voice.

Links Plugins
Quote Reply
LMAO!
Quote Reply
Honestly?

I have Via Voice, I haven't used it for years but it was so funny (and yet embarassing).

It never spelt things right.
Quote Reply
It used to be really bad (and funny). But it has come a long way.

Links Plugins
Quote Reply
Are you using it now Paul? hehehe

"spelt" = spelled LMAO

I had to do it....Tongue
Quote Reply
Had it for my ipaq, junked it. I used to try to tell it to read my email and I would sit in a public place talking to this PDA saying... "READ EMAIL" .... "READ EMAIL".... "READ EMAIL"... then finally... " #$%@%$@$%" - and it woud reply, "Pardon me? Please speak clearly and loudly."

Must of looked pretty silly (I wanted to walk and listen to documents but I couldn't find the manual "read button" so I had to tell it to read things)

Any better for the desktop? I heard you spend more of your time training those things than using em.
Quote Reply
Re: [Aki] USA vs IRAQ In reply to
I think the software is catching up with the faster processors etc.

Its like OCR used to take more time learning that it was worth, speech recognition is coming along. Look at Apples handwritting technology now with Inkwell compared to what it was on the old Apple Newton.

The only thing they can't seem to fix is how silly you look talking to your computer!

Links Plugins
Quote Reply
Re: [Teambldr] USA vs IRAQ In reply to
>>
Are you using it now Paul? hehehe

"spelt" = spelled LMAO
<<

Actually spelt is fine :)

Dictionary:

Spelt: past and past part of spell

spelled isn't in the dictionary.

Last edited by:

Paul: Aug 27, 2002, 12:52 PM
Quote Reply
Re: [Aki] USA vs IRAQ In reply to
Yep... try using it with a Texas accent. I installed it (it came with Lotus SmartSuite many years ago) on my P133 - it didn't exactly perform to my expectations.
Quote Reply
I am sorry....I didn't know you were talking about wheat!Smile

Main Entry: spell
Pronunciation: 'spel
Function: verb
Inflected Form(s): spelled /'speld, 'spelt/; spell·ing
Etymology: Middle English, from Middle French espeller, of Germanic origin; akin to Old English spell talk
Date: 14th century
transitive senses
1 : to read slowly and with difficulty -- often used with out
2 : to find out by study : come to understand -- often used with out <it requires some pains to spell out those decorations -- F. J. Mather>
3 a (1) : to name the letters of in order; also : to write or print the letters of in order (2) : to write or print the letters of in a particular way <you can spell it either way> <I spelled it wrong> b : to make up (a word) <what word do these letters spell> c : WRITE 1b <catnip is spelled as one word>
4 : to add up to : MEAN <crop failure was likely to spell stark famine -- Stringfellow Barr>
intransitive senses : to form words with letters <teach children to spell>; also : to spell words in a certain way <spells the way he speaks>

Main Entry: spelt
Pronunciation: 'spelt
Function: noun
Etymology: Middle English, from Old English, from Late Latin spelta, of Germanic origin; perhaps akin to Middle High German spelte split piece of wood, Old High German spaltan to split -- more at SPLIT
Date: before 12th century
: a wheat (Triticum aestivum spelta) with lax spikes and spikelets containing two light red kernels
Quote Reply
Re: [Teambldr] USA vs IRAQ In reply to
Like I said, spelled isn't in my English Oxford dictionary with 1700 pages ;)

It goes from spell-checker to speller
Quote Reply
voice recognition and ocr software all have a basic flaw.

The programmers.

Honestly, it's not even their fault.

Well, let's think a bit in Perl for a sec here.

I bet it's like a a reg-ex vs. a good reg-ex replacement.
It catches at some times and at others it don't.

The way the programs pick out the words work on some kind of complicated replacement system. It's just to bad that no matter how many grammar books they will consult these programs will always be that tad bit off.

I was discussing with a friend about this and figured that verbs (an example) normally act as images. Now if those images could be translated rather than the straight verb you'd be that much closer to a better translation.

So, yeah, it's an image ... yeah, I know it's a mental image that you form. But now, if we had linguists who would translate verb phrases and such just a tad differently I bet this would work.

ie ... hard ....

how many images did you come up with ?

openoffice + gimp + sketch ... Smile
Quote Reply
I see on the news that US/British war planes bombed 240 miles west of Bhagdad yesterday.
Quote Reply
That was just the 35th bombing raid on Iraqi targets this year. And they are doing that since more than 10 years.
Quote Reply
Re: [Tho-chan] USA vs IRAQ In reply to
Yeah but it has more releveance at the moment. I wouldn't want to get Saddam pissed.
Quote Reply
In Reply To:
I wouldn't want to get Saddam pissed.

If a person is in power over an entire country and threatens the whole world enough where people become scared of him and what he might do (like Hittler for instance), isn't it better to take him out of power before we end up worse off then we are now? What if he gets a wild hair one day and decides to use one of his massive weapons? We can't let terror and terrorists make us scared to live our lives the way we choose to live them. Saddam should have been removed from power during the Gulf War IMO.

Sean
Quote Reply
Re: [SeanP] USA vs IRAQ In reply to
In Reply To:
If a person is in power over an entire country and threatens the whole world enough where people become scared of him and what he might do, isn't it better to take him out of power before we end up worse off then we are now

These 'monsters' are now haunting those who created them. I'm personally more scared of war and warmongering.

In Reply To:
Saddam should have been removed from power during the Gulf War IMO.

I agree, but it's obvious that there were reasons not to oust him. Check and balance in the Middle East.
Quote Reply
Re: [Tho-chan] USA vs IRAQ In reply to
Ugh don't bring Britain into this!!!

>>
Iraq portrayed Washington as the aggressor and said the United States and Britain were spreading lies about Iraq's capacity to produce weapons of mass destruction.
<<

I don't want my sister getting bombed in London!!

(although having said that she's in St. Lucia at the moment Wink)
Quote Reply
I'm afraid it's too late...

"When the shooting starts..."

- Mike
/sbin/shutdown -h now
Quote Reply
Re: [Watts] USA vs IRAQ In reply to
I want to know why camp david is so popular, does he give sexual favors? Laugh
> >