Gossamer Forum
Home : General : Chit Chat :

SETI@home client

Quote Reply
SETI@home client
Anyone running this? Quite interesting implementation of distributed computing, to say the least. I'm doubtful anything significant will come of all this work (ie, finding ET), but it is pretty cool. I ran this for a few months a couple years ago and recently installed it again, minus the graphic interface to speed it up.

http://setiathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/

--Philip
Links 2.0 moderator
Quote Reply
Re: [sponge] SETI@home client In reply to
Yeah I had it installed but I kept finding about 50 icons on my taskbar (it started loads of processes when the pc was idle) so nuked it.
Quote Reply
Re: [Paul] SETI@home client In reply to
The icons are just a graphics glitch I believe, according to their faq's, and it shouldn't really be running multiple times. Anyway, get the command line version, then downlod the SETIspy addon. One of the options is to make it run as a background service. That's what I'm doing now and haven't had any problems with it.

--Philip
Links 2.0 moderator
Quote Reply
I'm running it all on the workstations at work. Might as well do something with those spare CPU cycles while the machine idle away ...

- wil
Quote Reply
Re: [Wil] SETI@home client In reply to
hm... someone wrote a version of Linux specificly for the SETI client. Too funny.

--Philip
Links 2.0 moderator
Quote Reply
Laugh hey, people want to rush first contact ... what can you say Laugh

I'm a trekky so ... I can't wait to meet the vulcans Angelic

openoffice + gimp + sketch ... Smile
Quote Reply
Re: [QooQ] SETI@home client In reply to
Trek fan, eh? Have you seen the preview for Star Trek: Nemesis yes?

--Philip
Links 2.0 moderator
Quote Reply
I think First Contact was the best one to date, but I am hoping Nem. will be just as good (or better).

http://www.iuni.com/...tware/web/index.html
Links Plugins
Quote Reply
Re: [Ian] SETI@home client In reply to
I just bought the director's edition DVD of Wrath of Kahn....I have to say it's still my favorite.
Quote Reply
Re: [ArmyAirForces] SETI@home client In reply to
Look at all these trekies coming out of the woodwork!

http://www.iuni.com/...tware/web/index.html
Links Plugins
Quote Reply
Re: [Ian] SETI@home client In reply to
I have never worn any pointy ears, a spandex uniform, or told my girl friend that I was firing the photon torpedo. Cool

But I do enjoy the tv shows and the movies.
Quote Reply
I personaly never liked the old Star Trek with William Shatner, and thus have never wasted my time on the first six movies. I've always been a TNG fan. Not a big fan of Deep Space or any of the other spinoffs, including the newest, "Enterprise", with that guy from "Quantom Leap".

I've never worn any Trek pins, pointer ears, or a uniform myself. However, this old lady that works at my store has a personalized license plate that reads "NCC-1701", and has a "Star Fleet Acedemy" window sticker on her rear window.

--Philip
Links 2.0 moderator
Quote Reply
Re: [Wil] SETI@home client In reply to
In Reply To:
I'm running it all on the workstations at work. Might as well do something with those spare CPU cycles while the machine idle away ...

Just make sure you've got permission to do so. You could get in lots of trouble for mis-using company resources.

Adrian
Quote Reply
the plane the plane .... oopps that was Fantasy Island.

Kirrrrrk !!!!!

Botany Bay was great! Through all the years, I've only seen it once.

gosh, I meant it as a joke ... this is a seti thread !

openoffice + gimp + sketch ... Smile