Gossamer Forum
Home : General : Chit Chat :

Processor

(Page 1 of 2)
> >
Quote Reply
Processor
Had some money allocated to me in work for a new machine :-)))

Got a choice from my trusted supplier of a celeron or a pIII processor. (or I could actually do some work and go look somewehre else).

Any recomendations on processors? The end machine will hopefully be running woody.

Cheers

Wil

- wil
Quote Reply
Re: [Wil] Processor In reply to
Anyone got any recomendations for a cheap, but decent 17" monitor. I'm looking for something that won't kill my eyes after staring at it for 10 hours non stop. ? What does anyone think of the Sony Triniton series?

- wil
Quote Reply
I wouldn't buy a celeron if it was the last processor on earth and I had to buy a pc or my pubic hairs would be plucked out one by one by a masked man with a chain saw with dynamite wired to his body and a gun pointing at my head.

Definitely go with the PIII however as you can get a PIIII for the same price then....

Last edited by:

RedRum: Nov 7, 2001, 12:42 PM
Quote Reply
In Reply To:
Anyone got any recomendations for a cheap, but decent 17" monitor
KDS Visual Sensation is good ~ $150 monitor. Not really sure what "size" it is, but I've used several of them in various settings.

Screen measures 16" so I imagine they advertise it as a 17" or even 19" monitor.

I've used AMD chips over Intel usually because of price and have never had any problems.

Last edited by:

Watts: Nov 7, 2001, 1:28 PM
Quote Reply
How much money are we talking if you don't mind me asking and what type of machine are they after?

I'd recommend a slick looking Dell
Quote Reply
Re: [RedRum] Processor In reply to
screw Dell, Paul.... I saved $600 on my last pc by buying parts and assembling it myself. Granted, I was a bit inexperienced and I fried my floppy drive, but that was easily replaced for $8.

--Philip
Links 2.0 moderator
Quote Reply
Re: [PerlFreak] Processor In reply to
Not everyone wants to build their own especially if it for a business.
Quote Reply
Personal preference I guess. I'd rather sacrifice professional installation and technical support to save money, especially now that I have a decent idea of what I'm doing. Gonna build a cheapee for $200, and re-use some old parts (sound card, etc.) and give it to my sister for christmas :-) My dad needs some ram... and quick.. I don't know how he survives with only 32MB... and my mom <<shudder>>.... I'm not sure if she'll ever figure out email.

--Philip
Links 2.0 moderator
Quote Reply
I just wouldn't want to lose my boss' money :)
Quote Reply
Re: Processor In reply to
Get the new G5 chip speeds are still 1.2, 1.4, and 1.8 or so. Adobe says that they blow away their P4 series that they use in shop!

!!!

openoffice + gimp + sketch ... Smile
Quote Reply
Re: [QooQ] Processor In reply to
How come you have no name after Re: ?
Quote Reply
Re: Processor In reply to
maybe cause you can edit the subject line to remove it like I did.

--Philip
Links 2.0 moderator
Quote Reply

Quote Reply
£700 uk streling, and it will be build by myself. oha, scarry :-)

- wil
Quote Reply
So why wouldn't you buy a celeron?? What's the disadvantage you've experienced, if any?

Remember that this will be powering a linux box.

- wil
Quote Reply
dual Celerons @ 500MHz should perform roughly equivalent to a single Pentium-III @ 750MHz.
Quote Reply
But a Celeron 800mhz and a PIII 866mhz have the same list price?

- wil
Quote Reply
Let me get this straight.... Intel are the company behind the Celerons' and the Pentiums? Hmm. Can't find what the difference is.

- wil
Quote Reply
Don't ask me why. Celerons don't perform as well.

Ideally get an Athlon

Last edited by:

RedRum: Nov 8, 2001, 3:31 AM
Quote Reply
So they're all Pentiums, anyway? Hmm. Interesting.

- wil
Quote Reply
No they are all Intel - one is Celeron one is Pentium.

http://www.fit.edu/...ardware/chipsets.htm
Quote Reply
Thanks for the link. Kind of goes against what you're saying, though: <g>.:

What Intel plays down-- but nearly everyone knows-- is that the full-speed, quarter-size Celeron cache gives them almost the same performance as the half-speed, full-size cache gives Pentiums. Thus you'll find that, for most applications, Celerons rated at the same MHz will equal or better an equivalent Pentium-II, for a much lower price.

The reason for the hefty price tag on the Pentiums is just to cover the brand name, the marketing and all that crap. I think maybe a Celeron would be a better route after all ??

- wil
Quote Reply
Yeah read what it is comparing against....Pentium II

We are now up to III and IIII Cool
Quote Reply
It doesn't say anything about Pentum iii expect for the fact that they use the same technology as pentiums ii.

I guess I need to find a more updated article.

It does seem that the Celerons aren't that bad, though. It's just that they aren't glossed over like Pentiums are.

Half of the price you pay for the Pentium chip goes into those darn advertisements with that stupid bring-ding-dong music I bet ;-)

- wil
Quote Reply
Im not saying they are bad, just not quite as good as P3
> >