Gossamer Forum
Home : General : Chit Chat :

Is it worthy of the Perl forum?

Quote Reply
Is it worthy of the Perl forum?
Just wondering if anyone knows how to get rid of the annoying blank space that <form></form> tags create?
Quote Reply
Re: [RedRum] Is it worthy of the Perl forum? In reply to
CSS fixes the problem in IE, I have yet to test it with NN though:
Code:
form {margin: 0%;}

Regards,
Charlie
Quote Reply
The Perl forum is more a webmaster issue forum, with an emphasis on Perl... so I'd say this qualifies. Wink

As to the <form> tag issue... are you talking about the vertical space? If the form is inside a table, I will sometimes place the <form> tags between <tr> and <td> tags. Something like:

<tr><form><td>stuff</td></form></tr>

That seems to get rid of extra spacing.

--
Matt G
Quote Reply
Indeed, the solution mglaspie suggested is used by many, including me. Although this isn't exactly legit HTML and validator's will flag it as bad code, its works across all browsers and works well.

~ ERASER

Free JavaScripts @ Insight Eye
Quote Reply
Re: [Eraser] Is it worthy of the Perl forum? In reply to
I've often wondered about that... thanks for sharing the info.

It wasn't until I started working with IE that I noticed that carriage returns (hard returns) will affect your table tags and break tags as well.

<BR>something<BR>something

will often display differently (extra line space) than

<BR>something
<BR>something

ditto for <TD> tags

Quote Reply
Re: [mglaspie] Is it worthy of the Perl forum? In reply to
Thanks for all the tips guys.

Matt:

Yeah that's what I resorted to but as Eraser said it causes errors with w3.org which is what I wanted to avoid.

Thanks CP for your CSS tip.
Quote Reply
Only thing with that solution is that Netscape 4.x will do REALLY weird things if you happen to have multiple tables, and you go putting the start and end form tags in between the tr's of the tables Tongue like if you did:
Code:
<table>
<form>
<tr><td>
</td></tr>
</table>
<table>
<tr><td>
</td></tr>
</form>
</table>
That css solution for IE is interesting. I'll have to try that (I wonder if it works for mozilla as well...)

PS: I hate html Wink

Adrian
Quote Reply
Re: [brewt] Is it worthy of the Perl forum? In reply to
Quote:
Only thing with that solution is that Netscape 4.x will do REALLY weird things if you happen to have multiple tables, and you go putting the start and end form tags in between the tr's of the tables like if you did:

Yeah, I definitely would not recommend opening a form tag in one table and closing in another... you're just askin' for trouble. Wink

I'd be interested if that css solution works in Netscape. Let me know if it works out for you.

--
Matt G
Quote Reply
I have been told that using nested form tags (i.e. outside of the <table> and </table> tags) it work. didnt get to try it, but I know it does work as my mate used it on his site.

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Want to give me something back for my help? Please see my Amazon Wish List
GLinks ULTRA Package | GLinks ULTRA Package PRO
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
Re: [CP] Is it worthy of the Perl forum? In reply to
Heh heh..I really do need to learn a bit more CSS Wink

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Want to give me something back for my help? Please see my Amazon Wish List
GLinks ULTRA Package | GLinks ULTRA Package PRO
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
Re: [AndyNewby] Is it worthy of the Perl forum? In reply to
Yeah nesting outside works but try getting it to validate with w3.org. You can't surround a table with a block element or whatever they call it.

Quote Reply
Re: [AndyNewby] Is it worthy of the Perl forum? In reply to
Yeah, that works. It's just bad HTML.

- wil