Gossamer Forum
Home : General : Chit Chat :

Iraq Rebuilding

Quote Reply
Iraq Rebuilding
As expected, the US Pentagon (in a memo posted on the Pentagon website) has released its list of countries that can contribute to the rebuilding of Iraq - and of course, Iraq does not and will never have a binding say in this matter. Canada (who was recently approached by Iraq to assist in the rebuilding of their oil industry), France, Germany, Russia and China (among another 100+ countries) are banned as punishment by the US and the BushWhacker administration. Awhile back, Canada pledged 300 million dollars to the rebuilding of Iraq - with assurances of more money to follow over the coming years. When you figure in the other nations on the US banned nation list, there must be billions of dollars. Canada is reconsidering its pledge. Let the US (and to a lessor extent, the UK) absorb the multibillion dollar shortfall. I urge all of those who are located in the banned nations, to push your governments to withdraw all monies earmarked for Iraq - and if necessary, impose countervailing tarriffs against the US as compensation for any monies already paid. And as individuals, reconsider purchasing goods and services from companies from any of the nations on the rebuilding list - including the US and the UK. It will be added bonus to your local economies and national pride. Even just not shopping at Safeway or not buying lunch at McDonalds is a start in the right direction. Further, since Iraq is considered by the US to be part of the war on terrorism, all banned nations should definitely reconsider their involvement in this war - whether in Afghanistan or some other US-designated locale. I, for one (and many), would like to see Canada withdraw its nearly 2000 troops from Afghanistan. Grassroots can grow deep. Time to sow.

----
Cheers,

Dan
Founder and CEO

LionsGate Creative
GoodPassRobot
Magelln
Quote Reply
Re: [dan] Iraq Rebuilding In reply to
Let's attempt to be accurate. This limitation applies only to some $18 billion worth of contracts that U.S. taxpayers are directly footing the bill for - portions of which non-US firms are already prohibited from being awarded by law anyway.

Russia, Germany and France already declined to contribute reconstruction funds at Madrid.

I agree that Canada should withdraw its troops and money. It's putting too much of a strain on your already depleted defense forces - money that Canada doesn't really want to spend on defense issues anyway.

This is really a non-story, and certainly not a surprise.
Quote Reply
Re: [ArmyAirForces] Iraq Rebuilding In reply to
EU 2003-2004 contribution
235 million
(contingent upon sustained approval of EU members - hard sell in Spain, France and Germany at the moment, to name a few)

Germany 2003-2004 contribution
121 million including 60 million through EU

Canada initial contribution
300 million

Russia forecast ongoing contribution
Hundreds of millions in private investments from Russian companies

But there are others in the 100+ banned countries that were considering (albeit much smaller) contributions. But it adds up.

And the US may want to withdraw its troops and money. It's putting too much strain on your already depleted economy and almost historically weakened US dollar. Wham bam when the US debt is projected to hit 10 trillion dollars in 10-12 years or so - with FFY Interest Payments in the neighbourhood of half a trillion dollars per year (in addition to projected budgetary deficits between 500 million and one trillion dollars). You may be flocking to BC to sharecrop in our number one cash crop =) Don't worry, it'll still be here ;=)

----
Cheers,

Dan
Founder and CEO

LionsGate Creative
GoodPassRobot
Magelln
Quote Reply
I think you miss the point. There are another $14 billion in international contracts that remain open.

The only ones off the table are the ones we're paying for solo. No reason why American tax dollars should reward your behavior.

And I agree with you that Canada should withdraw, militarily and financially.
Quote Reply
Absolutely. No reason why Canadian tax dollars should award your behaviour - although the US cites security concerns =) I'm okay if Canada donates money, but only if 'none' of that money benefits any US (or coalition) government or companies in 'any' way - either directly or indirectly. But you are right and I now stand corrected, I'd like to see all of us "bad guys" keep the money for ourselves, and let the US take care of it. May be billions, but is definitely hundreds of millions of dollars that the US can borrow instead as the money is still required. It would be hypocritical of the US to allow our tainted money to be used in the reconstruction of Iraq. Maybe we could persuade the Feds to use the money to build a bridge connecting Vancouver to Vancouver Island. Anyways, as always, been fun =)

----
Cheers,

Dan
Founder and CEO

LionsGate Creative
GoodPassRobot
Magelln
Quote Reply
It's no wonder the rebuilding of Iraq has taken so long if all people can do is bicker and have penis waving competitions Pirate

*My country is better than yours ...nah nah*
Quote Reply
Re: [Coombes] Iraq Rebuilding In reply to
My third leg only waves in very strong winds, or when I streak at full gallop =)

----
Cheers,

Dan
Founder and CEO

LionsGate Creative
GoodPassRobot
Magelln
Quote Reply
The instruction covers primary contractors, indicating that they must be drawn from the present list of 63 coalition countries. The Pentagon & Administration added that there are no limits on what sub-contractors may be employed by the primary contractor.

The White House further observes, "...other countries could be added to the contracts list if they found ways to assist coalition efforts."

I think it's only reasonable if your country wants to pursue significant contracts within Iraq that it embrace, in some way, the coalition goals for Iraq. If the 5 or 6 countries in question don't, but still want the contracts - then perhaps the Iraqis can decide what is hypocritical.
Quote Reply
If this thread gets any more bitchy, I'm gonna have to lock it :(

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Want to give me something back for my help? Please see my Amazon Wish List
GLinks ULTRA Package | GLinks ULTRA Package PRO
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!