Home : General : Chit Chat :

P3 -> P4

(Page 1 of 2)
> >
Quote Reply
P3 -> P4
Hi,

Im thinking of upgrading from PIII, 1GHZ Athlon to PIV, 2GHZ

Has anyone made such an upgrade and do they have any tips or advice?

I'm not quite sure what to buy. Do I need a whole new motherboard?...do I need it to be made by the same manufacturer?.....will anything be incompatible like CD-RW, RAM etc?

Thanks for any advice.
Quote Reply
Re: [PaulW] P3 -> P4 In reply to
That all depends on the hardware you've got already. Waht is the motherboard? You might also need to buy a more powerful fan, a bigger power supply etc ...

- wil
Quote Reply
In Reply To:
Im thinking of upgrading from PIII, 1GHZ Athlon to PIV, 2GHZ
Wow I never knew AMD and Intel got together and made a "PIII, 1GHz Athlon" Tongue

1) You'll need a new motherboard.
2) You'll need a new power supply (since P4's require a new connector from the p/s).
3) You'll probably need new ram (rambus), though there might be motherboards now that take sdram. I believe there are also motherboards which take DDR now, which would be a cheaper solution than RDRAM.

Everything else should be fine.

Adrian
Quote Reply
Re: [brewt] P3 -> P4 In reply to
>>Wow I never knew AMD and Intel got together and made a "PIII, 1GHz Athlon" <<

Haha....it was late Angelic

Thanks for the advice.
Quote Reply
Well I was surprised yesterday to find out that AMD has an Athlon 4 out. Did I miss something... ie Athlon 2 and Athlon 3?

--Philip
Links 2.0 moderator
Quote Reply
Re: [ThatPerson1024] P3 -> P4 In reply to
In Reply To:
Well I was surprised yesterday to find out that AMD has an Athlon 4 out. Did I miss something... ie Athlon 2 and Athlon 3?
Not sure about that, but I just read about the new AMD Athlon XP (how convenient Wink), which supposedly gives the p4 2ghz a run for its money, even at only 1.4ghz...

And concidering it's almost 1/2 the price, it's something I'm definately concidering for my new PC...

- Mark

Astro-Boy!!
http://www.zip.com.au/~astroboy/

Last edited by:

AstroBoy: Nov 22, 2001, 7:01 PM
Quote Reply
Re: [AstroBoy] P3 -> P4 In reply to
I knew I didn't imagine it.... here's one place that lists an AMD Athlon 4 under the names "Palomino" and "XP"
http://www.bcd2000.com/...Amd+Palomino&Tp=

--Philip
Links 2.0 moderator
Quote Reply
Athlon 4 is the mobile version of AMD's newest CPU's.
Athlon XP is the desktop version of AMD's newest CPU's.
Athlon MP is the multi processor cabaple version of AMD's newest CPU's.
Palomino is the code name for the cores of all the above processors.

I myself prefer AMD over Intel now. Intel's processors are just not worth it anymore. Though if you want the least chance for trouble (if you're building your own system), then you might want to go with Intel. I just upgraded to an AMD XP 1600+ myself. Cheap and fast Smile.

Adrian
Quote Reply
Dual AMD 1600 MP is tempting. 2 Months time it will be cheap as well.

Cheers,
Michael Bray
Quote Reply
Mmmm, may just be buying an Athlon XP rather than P4

>>
Q: How much faster is an AMD Athlon XP processor 1900+ vs. a 1.9GHz Pentium 4 processor?

A: Based on the suite of benchmarks that AMD is using to show relative performance, the AMD Athlon XP processor 1900+ delivers up to a 25-percent performance advantage versus the Intel Pentium 4 processor operating at 1.9 GHz on a broad array of real-world applications.

Q: How does the AMD Athlon XP processor 1900+ perform compared to the 2.0GHz Intel Pentium® 4 processor?

A: The AMD Athlon XP Processor 1900+ is the world’s highest performance processor, delivering an extraordinary computing experience to end users. We believe our top of the line processors have industry-leading performance across a broad array of applications.

<<

Sounds like I may not need a new motherboard either - just a bios upgrade as I already have an Athlon

Last edited by:

PaulW: Nov 23, 2001, 4:23 AM
Quote Reply
What motherboard brand/model do you have? You said that you had a P3 above...

Adrian
Quote Reply
That was a typo.

I have a 1000mhz Athlon.

Last edited by:

PaulW: Nov 23, 2001, 10:22 AM
Quote Reply
I whizzzz'd of an email to AMD, here's the reply:

>>
The upgrade ability of a system is dependent on the motherboard. Consequently, it is best to check with the motherboard manufacturer or system builder, such as Compaq, IBM, HP, etc. to determine which processors a specific motherboard will support. If a motherboard is Socket 7 or Super7 compatible and the BIOS and jumper settings support the specifications of the AMD-K6® family processor in question (such as voltage requirements, bus speed, and clock multiplier), it may work. However, it is best to contact the motherboard manufacturer or system builder to confirm compatibility. AMD-K6 family processors cannot be upgraded with an AMD Athlon™ or AMD Duron™ processor, as the AMD Athlon™ and AMD Duron™ processors require Slot A or Socket A platforms.

It is highly recommended that motherboards evaluated by AMD be used with AMD processors. Many motherboards will work with lower speed processors, but may not be stable with higher speed processors, since timing issues become much more critical, as well as voltage, current, and thermal issues. A list of these motherboards can be found on AMD's recommended motherboards page located in the link below:

Athlon Motherboards

http://www1.amd.com/athlon/mbl

<<

I'm drooling......

http://www.asus.com.tw/.../a7v266-e/index.html

Last edited by:

PaulW: Nov 26, 2001, 6:57 PM
Quote Reply
You know, today I figured out that I could put together an UNBELIEVABLE system for the price that I bought my p100 for 5 years ago

Nice Eclipse case (on casters)
Tyan thunder motherboard (onboard scsi adapter with 2 channels, 2 10/100 nics, 5 64bit pci, AGP Pro)
DUAL AMD 1800+ MP chips with nice volcano fans
1.5G of pc2100 ddr
15000 rpm 36G scsi drive
scsi cd rom
64M geforce 3 card

$2700 with tax and shipping.

I so wish I needed to buy a pc right now Smile

--mark

Last edited by:

Mark Badolato: Nov 26, 2001, 7:15 PM
Quote Reply
Re: [Mark Badolato] P3 -> P4 In reply to
$2700 USD is a little pricey for a system w/o a monitor, even though it's got scsi and dual MP's. I don't think I'd pay that kind of money.

Adrian
Quote Reply
Yeah it's a bit on the pricey side (i'd still do it though...I have a nice dell 19"). Like I said though, I'm comparing that to the crappy p100 I once paid that for :)
Quote Reply
Re: [Mark Badolato] P3 -> P4 In reply to
You paid $2700 for a p100 5 years ago?

Last edited by:

PaulW: Nov 27, 2001, 3:49 AM
Quote Reply
Am I going to have to buy new ram with this motherboard?

It is currently SDRAM and I need DDR

Damn the costs are mounting....

Last edited by:

PaulW: Nov 27, 2001, 3:51 AM
Quote Reply
Yup, IIRC.

Was a packard hell p100 (or was it a p133?) with a 2G drive, and a 15" monitor.

that was like mid-1996 I think
Quote Reply
Well, you did say that you currently have an Athlon 1GHz. There is that possibility that your current motherboard will work with an XP. Why not go that route? It'd be much cheaper (since all you'd need to get is the CPU, and a free BIOS flash). What make/model motherboard do you have?

And yes, you would need to get some DDR if you got that motherboard. And while I'm at it, if you look at the reviews from Toms hardware, it turns out the ASUS KT266A motherboard (the one you linked above), isn't that great of a motherboard...

Adrian
Quote Reply
My motherboard (FIC First Mainboard AZ11E) says it supports double data rate but it only explicity mentions PC100/133 SDRAM and VCM. What's VCM? Does that mean that I can or cannot use DDR ram?

--Philip
Links 2.0 moderator

Last edited by:

ThatPerson1024: Nov 27, 2001, 10:44 AM
Quote Reply
In Reply To:
My motherboard (FIC First Mainboard AZ11E) says it supports double data rate but it only explicity mentions PC100/133 SDRAM and VCM. What's VCM? Does that mean that I can or cannot use DDR ram?
You can't use DDR with that motherboard since it uses the VIA KT133 chipset which doesn't support DDR. VCM is virtual channel memory or something like that. Never seen such memory. On a side note, you won't be able to use a Athlon XP with that motherboard either.

Adrian
Quote Reply
Where the hell do I find the motherboard model - I've scanned the whole thing and can't find it.
Quote Reply
Brewt, I guess I misread my manual... this is what it said,
Quote:
By utilizing DDR (Double Data Rate) transfer rate the 100 Mhz AMD Athlon system bux effectively reaches speeds of 200 Mhz.

Athlon XP.. well, not a problem.... I'm happy with my Duron 900 system I built back August.

Paul, if you buy your computer from a REAL computer shop, you will almost certainly get a users manual and the box your motherboard came in. It should also be somewhere on the board itself -- where exactly, can't help you there.

--Philip
Links 2.0 moderator
Quote Reply
>>Paul, if you buy your computer from a REAL computer shop, you will almost certainly get a users manual and the box your motherboard came in. <<

I bought it from Gateway.
> >