Gossamer Forum
Home : General : Chit Chat :

MSn Hotmail is downsized the Mailbox to 2MB

Quote Reply
MSn Hotmail is downsized the Mailbox to 2MB
At last the big brother seems to have decided to pave way for paid mail services by downsizing the mail box to 2MB. Yahoo stopped the POP support....

Interesting....

What after World Cup id Yahoo does not get the revenues back it is spending on WC......

Anup
Quote Reply
Re: [anup123] MSn Hotmail is downsized the Mailbox to 2MB In reply to
Yeah, I noticed this too.

The funny thing is I have 0 messages in my mailbox and I still outsize my quota? Why? Aha, that Junk Mail folder all my messages go to.

It's funny why no one has sued MS Hotmail, actually. It's blatantly obvious that they sell their email addresses to spammers. I have been using my work account and a personal domain for years now with 1 piece of spam floating in every two days.

I open a Hotmail account, do not distribute the username to anyone or never mention it, write it or anything and bang! I have 180 junk mail messages in a week. Has anyone else noticed this?

- wil
Quote Reply
Moral of the story: don't use free email services.
Quote Reply
Re: [Wil] MSn Hotmail is downsized the Mailbox to 2MB In reply to
>>

I open a Hotmail account, do not distribute the username to anyone or never mention it, write it or anything and bang! I have 180 junk mail messages in a week. Has anyone else noticed this?

>>

Its part of the packaged deal that comes with a free email service. Nothing unusual about 180 Junk mail per week. After all they were giving space for free!!! (supposed to be as no one calculated the cost of time involved in managing the mailbox)

180 Junk mails (and that too those killing html mails) are sufficient now to choke yr account of 2 MB (weekly).......

=_= =_= =_= =_= =_= =_=

You can chain me, you can torture me, you can even destroy this body, but you will never imprison my mind.
-Mahatma Gandhi
Quote Reply
Yeah, but if they didn't seel your email address, their users wouldn't recieve any junk mail, and their servers wouldn't get bogged down with HTML mail, and there would be no need for expensive hardware.

All swings roundabouts :-)

- wil
Quote Reply
Re: [Wil] MSn Hotmail is downsized the Mailbox to 2MB In reply to
This all looks like good news if you are offering paid email services without the hotmail and yahoo added "values" of pop-overs, pop-unders, huge banner ads and selling of your "private" email address.
--
Rob

SW Montana's Online Community
Modular Model Railroading
Quote Reply
I'd say its more of a case of spammers having programs that guess usernames@hotmail.com

if you get an address

38934376937u429lkjdfkjsfkl89234uy98o32hnklfhj9l24uil@hotmail.com - you probably won't get any spam if you don't give away the email address.
Cheers,
Michael Bray
Quote Reply
Re: [Michael_Bray] MSn Hotmail is downsized the Mailbox to 2MB In reply to
Ummmm

Thats as good as five accounts on Hotmail Wink (going by 10 characters for username)

and what does it take to remeber this big a username? Few pills of memory booster...

Anup
Quote Reply
well the point was that MSN probably doesn't sell email addresses, spammers just guess email addresses.
Cheers,
Michael Bray
Quote Reply
Re: [Michael_Bray] MSn Hotmail is downsized the Mailbox to 2MB In reply to
...and you need to make sure your email doesn't get listed in the user directory.

Ive had a paulwilson20@hotmail.com address for months and had no spam.

Last edited by:

Paul: May 15, 2002, 8:02 AM
Quote Reply
Re: [Paul] MSn Hotmail is downsized the Mailbox to 2MB In reply to
Paul, you are brave posting your email address and saying it doesn't get spam! This forum can be read by non-registered users, right?