Gossamer Forum
Home : General : Chit Chat :

Image Theft

(Page 2 of 2)
> >
Quote Reply
Re: [Teambldr] Image Theft In reply to
Teambldr,

I can truly see what your saying. But the problem is that most folks don't have as much skill as you do. Take my ISP for example. He's learned that running a machine as ROOT was stupidity to looking them down so hard they squeaked.

If you take this another step you'd have all kinds of folks that get nailed by viruses as soon as they've reinstalled their system without virus protection. Just 2 days ago, I was a friend's used car dealer shop. He's got this nifty car auction PC with 98 installed. His office staff girl went to check the mail and boom, right before my eyes klez sent the box to a black screen with a "_" waiting (this was after I had tried installing a virus protection program. Too late. ... the Auction system staff just had finished re-installing the system that morning.

And the final step. All the home users who can't really protect their own system out of plain lack of experience. M$ is number so they've got all the newbie types too.

So, even trying to give M$ a fair shake. They've still got themselves in virus heaven. I wonder what will happen though.

.Net ... hehe ... is gonna depend on how much M$ wants to charge for it. Last I heard quite a few companies were complaining.

Hexley, the un-official mascot now reigns as the largest single distributor of *nix. And, Hexley is having a big problem playing ball over Office. So, imagine open office, star office teamed up with Hexley what will .NET have?

XBOX ... the undercover, pull the wool over your eyes sneak attack. A while back I said the same thing, and I'm still sticking to my guns. M$ is working to put itself in all of your homes. lololololo ... Body Snatchers SPXP.

Laugh

openoffice + gimp + sketch ... Smile
Quote Reply
Hi.. If you have mod_rewrite enabled on your server.. here is a better solution..

I developed this to secure my javascript source files (*.js). I believe this method is foolproof.. well.. no.. but it's the best method in my opinion.

RewriteEngine On
RewriteBase /images
RewriteCond %{HTTP_REFERER} !^http://[^/]*yourdomain.com
RewriteCond %{REQUEST_URI} \.(jpg|gif|png|bmp)$
RewriteRule ^.*$ /yousuck.gif

that goes into your .htaccess.. basically.. if anyone tries to go straight to the image or if they try and put the image on their site.. it'll display "yousuck.gif" instead.. xoom.com used to do this.. geocities.com does something similar. umm.. they can always just save your image and upload it to their own site.. so it doesn't keep them from "stealing" your images.. but it keeps them from "stealing" your bandwidth..

if you want to prevent stealing images.. you could just do a no right click javascript on the site.. that's just 2 lines of code.. if you use both of these methods.. your images can't be taken, unless they disabled javascript.. but there is no way of preventing that.. the browser's cache stores the images anyways..

ya.. so try it.. it works great. :P

[edit]oh.. it needs a little changing for images.. the code i used was for .js files only.. umm.. for images you'd probably want the referer line to be "if referer && referer =~ /yourdomain/" rather than what it is now..

Last edited by:

widgetz: Jul 29, 2002, 2:39 PM
Quote Reply
Re: [widgetz] Image Theft In reply to
No right click scripts can be bypassed by using the browser window functions or keystrokes.

I just let them take it, let them add it to their site and then change the image after to get marketing out of it. It's more fun!!Cool
Quote Reply
oh.. i see what you're saying now..

kind of like what i did for javascript.. what i did was.. i sent all requests that weren't from my domain to a cgi file which recorded the referer, ip, and browser used. then i printed out a new javascript file that would run an infinite loop of alert windows that said "Copyright 2002 www.jsu07.com"..

so pretty much.. if anyone tried to copy my js and ran it on their sites.. they would get alert window after alert window.. Laugh

i change that though.. only 1 alert window now.. not as cruel as before..

actually.. i'd like to challenge you people.. knowing you are "code hackers", i'm sure you'll all find your own ways around my method. i for one know a few ways to bypass it.. heres the challenge tho..

http://www.jsu07.com/ <-- contains a javascript file (/js/v6temp.js)

if you can obtain the full source code to .js file.. i.. umm..... congratulate you?

also.. it'd be nice to know how you did it.. (using telnet is the easiest way)
Quote Reply
Is this it??

var anim = new Array ();

anim[0] = "J S U 0 7 . C O M |--v6--| Dulce Et Decorum Est Pro Patria Mori";
anim[1] = "J S U 0 7 . C O M |-v6---| Dulce Et Decorum Est Pro Patria Mori";
anim[2] = "J S U 0 7 . C O M |v6----| Dulce Et Decorum Est Pro Patria Mori";
anim[3] = "J S U 0 7 . C O M |-v6---| Dulce Et Decorum Est Pro Patria Mori";
anim[4] = "J S U 0 7 . C O M |--v6--| Dulce Et Decorum Est Pro Patria Mori";
anim[5] = "J S U 0 7 . C O M |---v6-| Dulce Et Decorum Est Pro Patria Mori";
anim[6] = "J S U 0 7 . C O M |----v6| Dulce Et Decorum Est Pro Patria Mori";
anim[7] = "J S U 0 7 . C O M |---v6-| Dulce Et Decorum Est Pro Patria Mori";

<SNIP> middle part cut out </SNIP>

doTitle ();

onload = start;
Quote Reply
Re: [Watts] Image Theft In reply to
yup.. telnet?
Quote Reply
Nope...

1. Go to: www.jsu07.com

2. Click "view source"

3. Notice that .js file is located at www.jsu07.com/js/v6temp.js

4. Enter URL to .js file and choose "Save to Disk"

5. Open .js file and hack away
Wink
Quote Reply
errr.. that's not supposed to work..

i don't know why it did..

i did change the .htaccess without testing it.. but i'm pretty sure the code is right.

Last edited by:

widgetz: Jul 29, 2002, 3:26 PM
Quote Reply
Quote:
Nope...

1. Go to: www.jsu07.com

2. Click "view source"

3. Notice that .js file is located at www.jsu07.com/js/v6temp.js

4. Enter URL to .js file and choose "Save to Disk"

5. Open .js file and hack away

Hah, you could just go to www.jsu07.com and then check your temp internet files directory Tongue

<snip>

function start () {
document.getElementById ("jsu07").style.pixelLeft = document.body.clientWidth;
setTimeout ("fiQuote ()", 500)
}

function fiQuote () {
clearTimeout (to);
object = document.getElementById ("quote");
if (object.filters.alpha.opacity < 100) {
object.filters.alpha.opacity += 10;
to = setTimeout ("fiQuote ()", 50);
}
else to = setTimeout ("fiAuthor ()", 1000);
}

</snip>

BTTDB Jerry :)

Last edited by:

Paul: Jul 29, 2002, 5:18 PM
Quote Reply
Hmm apologies in advance for my eliotism but your site spews in NS6....

Copyright Violation

You are seeing this page because your site, or the site you came from, has attempted to copy javascript from JSU07.com.

Your IP address, operating system, web browser and other information have been recorded and sent to the administrator. The URL in which the violation occured has also been recorded.
Quote Reply
Re: [Paul] Image Theft In reply to
OMG Paul....that ism
Quote Reply
Re: [Paul] Image Theft In reply to
ew.

well maybe there's no good way to protect javascript then. linux people are able to view source.. while windows people with IE have to go to their cache. I don't really care for Netscape, but obviously since the mod_rewrite is all server-side, netscape doesn't send the referer with the script request..

so... all browsers are unalike. i don't really care for netscape though, that thing is blah. my past sites have been javascript intense and i found making it all compatible with netscape is like doubling the length of the source code.

i wanted to protect javascript after a few sites just took the code and copied it completely, changing my "by: jerry su, email: email@jsu07.com" and replacing it with their own name and email. i even had a copyright message which they left in tact.

oh well.. i'll remove the .htaccess and forget the whole thing.
Quote Reply
One way would be to put it in more than one part in multiple folders. This way if they do copy it they will only get a part of it. Cool

Last edited by:

Teambldr: Jul 29, 2002, 10:35 PM
> >