Gossamer Forum
Home : General : Chit Chat :

Re: [Seto Kaiba] Guys.. A simple Javascript Question... : )

(Page 1 of 2)
> >

Re: [Seto Kaiba] Guys.. A simple Javascript Question... : )
>>
i am just not willing to download the browser.
<<

If I'd have said that, Eliot would have been biting at my heels so fast, but I bet he doesn't do that to you :)

"Paul you obviosuly have no idea about cross-browser compatibility"

Re: [Paul] Guys.. A simple Javascript Question... : ) In reply to
screw compatibility.. the browsers should be the ones that fix the problem.. not the people that use the browsers. and netscape is going nowhere anyways. there are TOO many linux browsers.. and they are all horrible w/ javascript.

anyways.. this is the code i'd use with my javascript..

if (!document.all) {
alert ("Your browser sucks! Getting you a new one..");
location.href = http://www.microsoft.com/;
}

but actually.. my sites are not your oh so normal site. most of my "javascript" will work with netscape.. however.. when the javascript includes dynamic html.. like iframes and layers and movement.. i don't really care if it works for netscape. since my sites are usually always 60% coded in javascript.. i always block non-IE users.

--
jsu

Last edited by:

Seto Kaiba: Aug 1, 2002, 4:22 AM

Re: [Seto Kaiba] Guys.. A simple Javascript Question... : ) In reply to
>>
if (!document.all) {
alert ("Your browser sucks! Getting you a new one..");
location.href = http://www.microsoft.com/;
}
<<

Haha, take a look at this:

http://gossamer-threads.com/...scape%20paul;#186941

Checkout post 39 Laugh

Maybe you shouldn't have shown me that thread. I'm not sure why you did.. Is it the Netscape line? Well.. My sites aren't meant to be professional. I offer no services, products, etc. I just like developing things.

Also.. in that last paragraph.. maybe you interpreted wrong.. but.. he is pretty much calling you an ass. Was I supposed to see that?

The only people that I expect to visit my site are my friends. I only know of 2 or 3 that actually don't use IE. They use random Linux browsers.. Konquerer? They say it works fine though. My logs show a bunch of Netscape users. But I don't care about them.. they aren't my friends. :P

An example of what I do have under my site is http://radio.jsu07.com/ it lists local radio stations and shows what they have played the last day or so. Not much used to you, but it's a tool I made for the local people.

I would expect your site to be professional, though and maybe most of the other people in this forum. Why else would they spend good money on scripts that GT offer. AND it's 5AM where I live and at 10:00AM I have a calculus test. I should have been sleeping 3 hours ago. I've decided however.. not to sleep. Tommorrow is going to be a very hard day. I am going fishing right after I take the test with a couple of friends. I'll probably take many naps then.

--
jsu

>>
Maybe you shouldn't have shown me that thread.
<<

Why?

>>
I'm not sure why you did..
<<

Because it related to your netscape popup.

>>
Is it the Netscape line?
<<

No the popup that eliot took a screencap of.

>>
Also.. in that last paragraph.. maybe you interpreted wrong.. but.. he is pretty much calling you an ass. Was I supposed to see that?
<<

No, not even sure which bit you are referring to, Eliot implies people are an ass in most of his posts :)

>>
I would expect your site to be professional, though and maybe most of the other people in this forum.
<<

I'd expect people to upgrade 8 yr old browsers also.

Oh oops. Ya see.. I'm like dying here. Can't focus. I didn't see the checkout post 39. I see the screenshot now.

When I type that code.. I meant it sarcastically. I wouldn't have typed the code unless it was obvious what it would do. I thought it was an obvious joke. My previous versions for my sites have been intense in javascript though and making it work in Netscape was just too much of a hassle. They were for show and nothing else. My actual code for the non-IE browsers redirected them to a page called ie.html and it basically said My page utilizes Dynamic HTML and must be viewed using Internet Explorer 5.5 or above.

I don't think people would mind that. Not like they were going to my site to buy anything anyways. There are quite a few other DHTML sites that do that also.

Also.. the whole screenshot deal.. I see it as another one of those well-known by me GT forum wars. But... I was close to siding with you on this one. However.. Eliot's first screenshot was intended as helpful advice. The thread's author asked for people's suggestions and Eliot's suggestion was to make it viewable at low resolutions. Next screenshot I see is yours which is completely not.. inline with the thread with the "eliot_extremely_bad_html.jpg". And yes.. Eliot does something similar.. but only after you triggered him to do so.

Sorry.. but you got cloooooose on that one :)

--
jsu

>>
Next screenshot I see is yours which is completely not.. inline with the thread with the "eliot_extremely_bad_html.jpg". And yes.. Eliot does something similar.. but only after you triggered him to do so.
<<

Thats kinda bull because the only reason I posted that image was due to his earlier remarks so infact I hadn't started it :)

Anyway I moved the thread into the garbage colletion unit as we were going off topic :)

We should rename this forum 'Digress to /dev/null'

- wil

Alright.. Test taking at 10:00AM - 11:00AM I need to stay awake 5 hours more! I woke up yesterday at 8:00AM so that means As of now.. I've been awake 22+ hours. Going fishing tommorrow and will be back home around 5:00PM. So, I' won't get a chance to sleep until I surpass 33 hours of no sleep. FUN. Well, I'm getting tons of studying done. Even though sleep would have been a nicer decision.. I decided that this test is worth it. I failed my logarithm test in my previous math course and here they are again in Calc. Time to ace this thing.

Anyways.. I'll review the thread again. Doo..dooo..dooo.

Ok.. Paul.. Up to post 26.. I don't see anything. Post 27, 28, 29. 27 is just Eliot saying that you should consider your users and not just your point of view of the site. Post 28 is you furthering that by saying it is the reason he posted the thread. Post 29 is Eliot following up to you and saying that he isn't listening to the advice of the users (which can be confirmed by earlier posts).

K... Now... Post 35. I don't even need to compile that line of code and I know what it means.. Just cause I know off the top of my head that E is 7 letters away from L. Post 36.. Eliot says he ain't fighting blah blah (I agree). Post 38.. your screenshot.

Paul.. I meant it the first time and I mean it again. You started that one. Eliot didn't even react to post 35. But you furthered it in Post 38.

Also.. I got curious as to what the HTML Validator thing does. And I tried your site and ended up with maybe 30 errors. Eliot doesn't even make his parseable, so why label the screenshot "eliot_extremely_bad_html.JPG". I'm sorry, but my opinion still stands. I wouldn't blame Eliot on that one, rather I'd blame you.

If you still want to disagree, fine by me. But I did look at that situation in your favor at first. Then I realized that he only posted that screenshot and comment because of your previous behavior.

--
jsu

Re: [Wil] Guys.. A simple Javascript Question... : ) In reply to
Or in a few hours I guess it will be..."watch whilst paul gets hung, drawn and quartered."

You are best buddies with Eliot, I wouldn't expect you to say anything different :) ....if I carry on the debate about who was wrong and who wasn't it will turn into another argument....the thread was ages ago anyway so who cares...I only linked to it to show you the popup that seemed similar to the one you were joking about.

Last edited by:

Paul: Aug 1, 2002, 6:33 AM

Maybe in Europe.. but in America.. it ends when the one guilty pleads guilty.

--
jsu

(Take note of post 32 though...that was before I'd posted anything much)

Post 35 couldn't have been starting the argument because ELiot didn't even know what it meant Wink

Last edited by:

Paul: Aug 1, 2002, 6:35 AM

Best buddies with Eliot?

I know him as much as I know you. I've defended him because I haven't found him to be at fauilt in many cases. I will agree that he could be crude to someone that has posted the same topic twice or something like that, but after several reoccurences, things do get frustrating. I've experienced it and you've experienced it. What makes it ironic, is that you are now the mod that is doing it.

I think I've made it clear enough that you made the first move in the thread. If you really think his attitude in any of the threads before would make you act the way you did.. then why not reveal the truth?

--
jsu

Yea.. I do believe that Andy believed you and Eliot were fighting in posts 28 and 29. However, Eliot is pretty much building upon your post and his previous and saying that "He isn't considering the advice provided by the users".

In post 36, Eliot says he is not fighting which supports my previous statement that he wasn't because his original advice to Andy was to make the page viewable at smaller resolutions. In post 25, last sentence.. "Quite honesty mine looks ok in anything from 800x600 and higher, so I'm not too worried". This supports Eliot's post 36 because it shows Andy is not considering the advice he asked for from users (smaller screen reses). I did not say post 35 started it, but I do not believe using that code is as appropriate as could be. Post 38 is where the real deal begins.

--
jsu

Last edited by:

Seto Kaiba: Aug 1, 2002, 6:48 AM

I've requested that this thread be locked/removed...it's a hunk of junk.

Last edited by:

Paul: Aug 1, 2002, 7:03 AM

"Eliots attitude was sarcastic and provokative"

Before I read this post.. I read post 38 from that thread and understand better now that I've read the entire thread thoroughly.

I'd agree to your post in that thread.. but.. there are quite a few things you have to catch in that thread. "How do you expect people to react other than defensively when you make screenshots called "bad_html.gif" and make other blunt remarks about their sites."

The thread was started by Andy asking "if anyone is having trouble viewing this page". He then says "I really do hate having to make it cross browser compatible!" in his next post. Eliot's next post a SUGGESTION to Andy. This is where your "How do you expect....." fails. It is a suggestion.. not a remark. Andy has no reason to act defensively. He can agree.. or he can just toss it away. If it was a remark.. he'd be able to act defensively and disagree.

The whole bad_html.gif was a bit exageratted. He posted a screenshot of a low resolution.

"Advice and suggestions is one thing, but that sure isn't how your approach is perceived. " Well.. Paul, even you can perceive wrong. Never thought of that? I'm talking about this thread alone and not any other threads that you'd like to relate to Eliot while I wasn't here. Because the facts to this thread lay full within it.

"Im pretty sure you'd get defensive if we all started uploading screenshots like...... "

You were right.. because that screenshot not only was titled.. "eliot_extremely_bad_html.JPG" but depicted something unlike Eliot's screenshot.

Remember.. when you told me to checkout post 39, I was completely on your side. I was more in shock at that screenshot Eliot made. But I hadn't read the thread yet. The facts are there and I don't see why you still can't agree.

At least agree to this. You don't always perceive things correctly. You are no god. You make the same mistakes as everyone else and therefore.. Eliot wasn't 100% at fault to what happened in that thread. You may not be either, although the way I see it.. his screenshot wouldn't have came about without your screenshot to start it off.

Agreed or no? You understand I'm not blaming it on you now? I'm just saying you didn't see things as they appear to others.

--
jsu

Nice move, Paul. It's called... "react (other than) defensively when (you)others make (screenshots.blahblah and make other) blunt remarks about you(r site)".

Why didn't I request that Multiple usernames thread to be locked?

--
jsu

Last edited by:

Seto Kaiba: Aug 1, 2002, 7:13 AM

>>
The whole bad_html.gif was a bit exageratted. He posted a screenshot of a low resolution.
<<

That was based on past posts in the forum which you haven't seen.

>>
Agreed or no? You understand I'm not blaming it on you now? I'm just saying you didn't see things as they appear to others.
<<

Of course, I never think I'm always right or I'm a God but the reason you are siding with ELiot is because you don't know the past (that's not your fault)....all you are seeing in the thread in it's slightly ambiguous context...for example you picked up on the image I uploaded and thought I was wrong to do that...on the face of it I agree but when you've had Eliot do that to you about 5 times in the past (which I have, along with smutty remarks) then you start to realise why I did it and why I got annoyed.

Last edited by:

Paul: Aug 1, 2002, 7:16 AM

>>
Nice move, Paul. It's called... "react (other than) defensively when (you)others make (screenshots.blahblah and make other) blunt remarks about you(r site)".
<<

You have nothing to lose, you could argue all day if you wanted and no-one would really care...I do have things to lose and when I keep getting drawn into an agrument the only way to stop that is to get the thread locked or deleted.

Last edited by:

Paul: Aug 1, 2002, 7:15 AM

I have nothing to lose?

Paul... if I had the choice to be hung for "deceiving" the people in this forum and to be called a person who logs into 2 screens to deceive people.. I would rather be hung. My name is my name.. No suffix or prefix shall be given to it.

I will defend my name for whatever it is worth and I will defend others unless given valid reasons not to.

You are right.. I haven't seen whatever Eliot has done to you in the past year, but I am here. My eyes are here. I still don't see.

--
jsu

Quote:
I have nothing to lose?

Paul... if I had the choice to be hung for "deceiving" the people in this forum and to be called a person who logs into 2 screens to deceive people.. I would rather be hung. My name is my name.. No suffix or prefix shall be given to it.

Do you moderate x amount of forums, do you design templates for GT, do/did you help with GossamerHost support, do you do work for GT clients (Im not talking about Links2 installs).

Can you answer yes to all of those question?...I don't think you can...that is what I stand to lose. Why would I want to risk losing that just because of someone I've never met.

I've tried so many times to make genuine replies to Eliot...no matter _what_ (and I mean no matter what) I say he sees the wrong side of my post and turns it into an argument. Why can't he be like the huge majority of forum users who seem to have no problem understanding what I'm saying in my posts.

Take this thread the otherday, he told someone you used exec cgi when trying to use SSI for a cgi script (when using a query string)...my reply and I quote:

>>
Well just a point to note, he _shouldn't_ have been using exec cgi. When using a query string exec cgi will not work, what he had was fine.
<<

Fairly normal correct?

Eliot says:

>>
I disagree, Paul. He is still "executing" a CGI script, thus the exec cgi is the directive to use in this case.
<<

I say:

>>
Eliot trust me, include virtual is correct.
<<

Again, nothing wrong there right?

So:

>>
Trust you? That's a big laugh. Show me some proof...and I might reconsider my previous statement. But I stand by what I've already posted.
<<

WTF?

Last edited by:

Paul: Aug 1, 2002, 7:32 AM

Quote:
I never think I'm always right or I'm a God

Crap! This means I have to send back all of those "Paul is God" stickers I just ordered...

Tongue

Re: [Watts] Guys.. A simple Javascript Question... : ) In reply to
Just get them re-printed to "Paul is a golfing God" Cool

Paul, you wouldn't lose any of that to me. I'm just trying to knock something into your brain that all. And you're not catching yourself again.

I've tried so many times to make genuine replies to Eliot...no matter _what_ (and I mean no matter what) I say he sees the wrong side of my post and turns it into an argument.

The quote I quoted from your post in that long thread is really the fine print to it. The whole time you've been saying I'm good buddies with Eliot and what not. That is _your_ perception. Get a clue.. the forum says 13660 Registered users.. there are a whole 13660 perceptions in this forum. You.. the guy "that has so much to lose" says _I am good buddies with Eliot_. What are you trying to pin me on? Whatever I say, no one is going to believe me over you. You know that. Why'd I registered a new name?

There are more reasons. I chose to come back here for a short while and I have a goal to finish during this time. I know you remember me and probably some of what I did. Do you remember when I took left and disallowed redistribution? Yes, I'm sure you do. Do you remember MyLinks? The original. Before I left.. a clone popped up. You probably don't remember the thread.. but I argued about it. To this day.. not many have known.. I have been confronted about it.. but I privately fixed the bug. I put a bug into MyLinks. Smile Why'd I complain about the clone? Most of the code had been the same. Just the cookies were different and it wasn't programmed in strict. The main reason.. was the bug I had put into my version of MyLinks was in the clone. The bug is minor, however it affects people that actually use MyLinks. It has something to do with span pages. I confronted the author of the clone and yes.. I believed he lied. That's when I pulled my codes and left.

The point? 2. Before taking actions.. consider the possibilities. You're a programmer. Add an exclamation point to the beginning of your thought and consider it. I decided after awhile.. I may have been wrong about the clone. The bug is just too much of a coincidence. However.. I may have been right and that brings up just the opposite. Don't lie. I haven't done so, but when I left.. I believed many to do so. Even Alex.. but that's something else.

--
jsu
> >