Gossamer Forum
Home : General : Chit Chat :

Anarchy in California

Quote Reply
Anarchy in California
Or at least how described by some fringe people. Obviously not =) Civil disobedience in the name of equality and tolerance. Two big thumbs up to the expression of love in San Francisco! Two even bigger thumbs up to the Mayor and the so-called activist judges. It seems a little bit of Canada has rubbed off south of the 49 Wink Will be short-lived mind you - especially when a constitutional amendment to ban same sex marriages is invoked by the White House, but still a step in the right direction to challenge antiquated notions.

----
Cheers,

Dan
Founder and CEO

LionsGate Creative
GoodPassRobot
Magelln
Quote Reply
Re: [dan] Anarchy in California In reply to
I personally don't understand the whole thing. I just hate to see so much money, effort, and attention being focused on such a "non-issue" when there are so many "worse" things in this world/country that need to be addressed.

I can't help but think that we are all being mis-directed (like an illusionist's slight of hand) so that something much more sinister can sneak past us while we are all looking the other way.
Quote Reply
Re: [Watts] Anarchy in California In reply to
In a World on the brink of self-destruction (e.g., global conflict and warming), this is definitely a non-issue to clear thinking persons. Even in the best of times, it should be a non-issue. A classic battle between morality and ethics. Your hardcore religious types just cannot change with the times. And the times are a changing. Asians, aboriginals, women, blacks, etc. fought for and won their rights. Now the gays and lesbians have entered the ring to fight the same battle. It's too bad it always has to go this route. But, history always has the history of repeating itself.

----
Cheers,

Dan
Founder and CEO

LionsGate Creative
GoodPassRobot
Magelln
Quote Reply
But at a vice presidential debate in 2000, Cheney was asked, "Should a male who loves a male and a female who loves a female have all the constitutional rights enjoyed by every American citizen?"

Cheney responded, "People should be free to enter into any kind of relationship they want to enter into. It's really no one else's business, in terms of trying to regulate or prohibit behavior in that regard."

He added, "I think different states are likely to come to different conclusions, and that's appropriate. I don't think there should necessarily be a federal policy in this area. I try to be open-minded about it as much as I can and tolerant of those relationships. ... (I) wrestle with the extent of which there ought to be legal sanction of those relationships. I think we ought to do everything we can to tolerate and accommodate whatever kind of relationships people want to enter into."

During his 2000 campaign, Bush was also against a constitutional amendment to ban gay marriage. Read my lips =) However, conservatives have pressed for a constitutional amendment banning gay marriage since last June, when the U.S. Supreme Court overturned a Texas law against sodomy - and recent events in Massachussetts and California by activist judges and so-called sinners have fuelled the fire.

As an aside, they should outlaw political sodomy. I feel screwed by any politician, regardless of their political affiliation =)

----
Cheers,

Dan
Founder and CEO

LionsGate Creative
GoodPassRobot
Magelln
Quote Reply
In Reply To:
Civil disobedience in the name of equality and tolerance. Two big thumbs up to the expression of love in San Francisco! Two even bigger thumbs up to the Mayor and the so-called activist judges. It seems a little bit of Canada has rubbed off south of the 49 . . . .still a step in the right direction to challenge antiquated notions.

Dan,

What are your thoughts on making polygamy legal?

--
Rob
--
Rob

SW Montana's Online Community
Modular Model Railroading
Quote Reply
Re: [BeaverheadRiver] Anarchy in California In reply to
Not sure as to how it relates to gay marriages, but I have no objections to polygamy.

----
Cheers,

Dan
Founder and CEO

LionsGate Creative
GoodPassRobot
Magelln
Quote Reply
In Reply To:
Not sure as to how it relates to gay marriages, but I have no objections to polygamy.

It relates to gay marriage in that if any two people can get married, is there any reason to limit marriage to only two people?
--
Rob

SW Montana's Online Community
Modular Model Railroading

Last edited by:

BeaverheadRiver: Mar 23, 2004, 9:39 AM
Quote Reply
Re: [BeaverheadRiver] Anarchy in California In reply to
Same tired old argument put forth by many right-wing religious groups with an anti-gay agenda. BTW, I'm **not** lumping you in with those groups. But commonly it is what they say. Many from that ilk also say that legalizing pedophilia is the next logical step after gay marriage. I recall a documentary from the 50's that used a similar "what next/if" argument with regard to interracial marriages. Fundamentally this is about equal rights. Discriminating on the basis of sexual orientation is wrong. Just as it is wrong to discriminate on the basis of race. creed, or colour. BTW, you may want to look into the history of marriage. It is less about an religious institution than it is about protecting ones vested interests in a partnership. It's a contract, pure and simple. The ceremony often has religious significance and importance, but the actual marriage contract is just that. I don't think us heterosexuals should be fearful and intolerant of gay marriages - worrying that it might turn our population gay. No gay agenda except to have the same rights as us. BTW, I have been living with the same girl for nearly 17 years now. No plans for marriage. Common-law rights have bestowed the same rights and privileges on us as married couples - at least in Canada. And, our love for each other is undeniable and everlasting, with or without a marriage license. But, my gf's brother is married to his boyfriend of so many years. All the power to them and any other 'loving' couple who wish to go the extra step and get married. Not our cup of tea, but both straights and gays should be allowed to imprint their love in marriage if they so desire.

----
Cheers,

Dan
Founder and CEO

LionsGate Creative
GoodPassRobot
Magelln
Quote Reply
Or you could just ban all marriages:

http://www.cnn.com/....ban.reut/index.html

Unsure