Gossamer Forum
Home : General : Chit Chat :

Dedicated Server...Interested?

(Page 1 of 3)
> >
Quote Reply
Dedicated Server...Interested?
I'm going to put my foot in something here but I'll cover my back so QooQ doesn't beat me up :)

Ok here goes...

Myself and QooQ are hopefully going to get a dedicated server. It will be around the following spec:

700mhz
512MB RAM
40GB Hard Drive
40GB/month bandwidth

Now, we don't need 40GB of hard drive all for ourselves so in the name of practicality we decided it may be a good idea to take on board a third person to share the space with and to cut costs.

So basically we are looking for someone _VERY_ reliable, trustworthy etc who is looking for a dedicated server and/or who maybe can't afford their own who may want to share with me and the awesome QooQster.

Now the cover my back bit:

This is not set in stone yet. Details have to be finalized and it may not happen and the server may change and bla bla but if you are semi-interested please send me or QooQ a pm or email.

We'd be happy to talk about the deal but we (well I was ..hehe) are thinking of about 5-6GB of space and 10GB bandwidth for $70/month. Obviously this could change depending what server we go for but if there are any changes we'll let you know and you can pull out or whatever.

If that interests anyone please get in touch. Thanks.

Sorry QooQ :)

Last edited by:

RedRum: Jan 13, 2002, 10:45 AM
Quote Reply
Re: [RedRum] Dedicated Server...Interested? In reply to
Looking for the fifth wheel on your Mustang, eh!? Wink

Which hosting company are you thinking of?
Quote Reply
Re: [Tho:mas] Dedicated Server...Interested? In reply to
Rackspace...we have a few other possibilities though.

Last edited by:

RedRum: Jan 13, 2002, 11:22 AM
Quote Reply
Gossamer Host? Angelic

Jason Rhinelander
Gossamer Threads
jason@gossamer-threads.com
Quote Reply
Re: [jagerman] Dedicated Server...Interested? In reply to
If you could match the deal you'd probably have a new customer :)

Edit:

I'll talk to you in private.

Last edited by:

RedRum: Jan 13, 2002, 2:04 PM
Quote Reply
Thanks everyone for reading.....sorry if you were interested, but myself and QooQ have decided to take the plunge on our own....ahhh.....so exciting....

Last edited by:

RedRum: Jan 15, 2002, 5:33 AM
Quote Reply
Sorry if this sounds really dumb, but why don't you host it with wiredon.net?! I thought you were a hosting provider, after all?!

- wil
Quote Reply
Re: [Wil] Dedicated Server...Interested? In reply to
So, http://www.wiredon.net/hosting/ is not on a dedicated server, right?

- wil
Quote Reply
Paul, which provider did you finally choose, rackspace.net? Which specs did you take? I know, curiosity killed the cat... Smile
Quote Reply
We are going with tier1host.net

They've offered us a deal we can't refuse :)

700mhz
512MB RAM
40GB hard drive

We can have as many free IP's as we need as long as we can justify their use and bandwidth is $2.50 per GB

Any hardware failure is dealt with by them at no charge.....sounds too good to be true....hmmmm....
Quote Reply
this is going to be yummy Laugh

openoffice + gimp + sketch ... Smile
Quote Reply
So what is wiredon.net hosted on? Are you conning your customers?

- wil
Quote Reply
Quote:
We are going with tier1host.net

Ooh, maybe I'll get my commission for refering you Wink

Same people I got my dedicated server form BTW, they are very fast and very reliable (support is good too Smile)

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Want to give me something back for my help? Please see my Amazon Wish List
GLinks ULTRA Package | GLinks ULTRA Package PRO
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!

Last edited by:

AndyNewby: Jan 15, 2002, 7:44 AM
Quote Reply
Re: [AndyNewby] Dedicated Server...Interested? In reply to
Yup thanks for the tip Andy.
Quote Reply
Nice offer! Btw, I never understood when an IP is justified and when it isn't. As far as I know, you only need "dedicated" IPs for SSL and anonymous FTP...

Anyhow, have to check their web site now. Smile
Quote Reply
Lol...no prob Paul. I think the only improvment they really could make was different offers and specs Tongue

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
>>Btw, I never understood when an IP is justified and when it isn't. As far as I know, you only need "dedicated" IPs for SSL and anonymous FTP... <<

I think it's because IP's are becoming sparse and so you need a good reason to get them. You are right....SSL needs a seperate IP and so that would be a valid reason. I think basically you just need to prove that you aren't requesting them for the sake of it.

Andy:

I agree. I asked Tim about that and he said it was because they buy the servers in bulk for cost effectiveness and so they are all the same spec in general.
Quote Reply
Thomas, you are still welcome to chip in with us if you want.
Quote Reply
Quote:
Andy:

I agree. I asked Tim about that and he said it was because they buy the servers in bulk for cost effectiveness and so they are all the same spec in general.

Yeah. He does actually have different machines. I think he said he had 1Ghz, 700Mhz, and 233Mhz. I went with the 233Mhz as it can still handle 1500 hits second, so it will easily cope with my traffic, even with DMOZ dumps going on Tongue

I think if he even just offered the 1Ghz and 700Mhz ones it would be better, as it gives a bit more choice.

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Quote Reply
Holly **&@ - is that DMOZ dumps legal Andy???! How on earth are they allowing you to sell their content?

- wil
Quote Reply
Ahh 1ghz....should have asked the price for that too :)

Better quit while Im ahead..lol
Quote Reply
Wil;

Yup, its completly legal! All I am charging for is my time and the server resources.

Paul;

I'm not definate about the specs of that 1GHz, but I'm pretty sure he mentioned something about it to me Tongue Not sure how many he had either Wink

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Quote Reply
Seriously? Have you had confirmation of this from a DMOZ representative? Wow! I thought the entire purpose of DMOZ was the free-flow of information, and in no circumstances could anyone profit from the information contributed by individuals.

- wil
Quote Reply
Im happy with the deal we have so I won't be drooling about the 1ghz ....well maybe just a quick dribble....Cool
Quote Reply
Wil, it is not the content I am charging for! Basically it is my time and the service. If you think I'm not allowed to do this take it up with pugdog, Paul, GT (not definate), me, oh, and anyone else who offers DMOZ dumps Wink

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk

Last edited by:

AndyNewby: Jan 15, 2002, 8:57 AM
> >