Gossamer Forum
Home : General : Chit Chat :

Darn Spammers!

Quote Reply
Darn Spammers!
Has anyone else been getting SPAM from customprogramming2002@yahoo.com ? The subject is 'Custom Programming and Development'. I've had emails sent 15 times to all 5 of my sites! Its really starting to piss me off! Anyone else had any dealings with them, and anyone know more importantly how to stop them!

At the moment i'm just deleting 'em...but I'm wondering if anyone knows of any legal action i could threaten them with to make them stop Wink Its definatly not good business practives on their end! [:9]

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Want to give me something back for my help? Please see my Amazon Wish List
GLinks ULTRA Package | GLinks ULTRA Package PRO
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
Re: [AndyNewby] Darn Spammers! In reply to
Um why don't you just configure your server to block their address?
Quote Reply
Re: [RedRum] Darn Spammers! In reply to
Could do. But I'm wondering what I can do to stop them! I've now email Yahoo!'s abuse address, so I'm hoping they will cancel the account, and possibly take action against the owner. I just don't want people to be caught out by people such as them, where they probably take your money and go Frown

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
The trouble is there are zillions others out there, just like them, and every second of them has a yahoo.com address. Unimpressed
Quote Reply
Re: [Tho:mas] Darn Spammers! In reply to
Unfortunatly you are right Frown It would just be nice to know that one of them has been caught out Angelic

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Quote Reply
Actually I've been getting really irritated over the last few days...I've been getting about 20 a day from

QWK.NET
Quote Reply
In Reply To:
It would just be nice to know that one of them has been caught out

I absolutely agree to that, it's somehow satisfying! Cool

I just managed to get off a Spanish list today after threatening them to contact their ISP. I am wondering if sending out spam is really worth the trouble, I never ever open or read that garbage.
Quote Reply
I think some blame has to also be placed on silly people who allow their servers to relay this crap.
Quote Reply
Re: [RedRum] Darn Spammers! In reply to
In Reply To:
I think some blame has to also be placed on silly people who allow their servers to relay this crap.

I couldn't agree more Smile I think a lot of the free hosts that allow sendmail were targeted quite a lot. Saying that though, a lot of people who pay for the hosting also SPAM Frown

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Quote Reply
Print out the headers of the email and do the following:

1. If possible determine where the mail originated from - everyone has to connect somehow (either dial-up, dsl, ect.). If you can identify a service provider notify them and get the account terminated.

2. If no service provider (you can assume the yahoo account is a "trash" account since it will be terminated anyway by yahoo) - then see if the email refers you to a website, or another email address. If so, then see who hosts the website by doing a 'whois' on networksolutions or whatever. If they are hosted by "Bob's hosting company" or something - notify them and get their site shutdown.

3. If it refers to a physical address or phone number, sign them up for every kind of junk mail offer you can find.

Good luck!
Quote Reply
Re: [Watts] Darn Spammers! In reply to
Quote:
Print out the headers of the email and do the following:

1. If possible determine where the mail originated from - everyone has to connect somehow (either dial-up, dsl, ect.). If you can identify a service provider notify them and get the account terminated.

2. If no service provider (you can assume the yahoo account is a "trash" account since it will be terminated anyway by yahoo) - then see if the email refers you to a website, or another email address. If so, then see who hosts the website by doing a 'whois' on networksolutions or whatever. If they are hosted by "Bob's hosting company" or something - notify them and get their site shutdown.

3. If it refers to a physical address or phone number, sign them up for every kind of junk mail offer you can find.

Ah, cool. I'll look into that Smile

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Quote Reply
For number 1, you should cut and paste the email into http://spamcop.net/ and it will give you the proper abuse contacts to email.

Cheers,

Alex
--
Gossamer Threads Inc.
Quote Reply
Re: [Alex] Darn Spammers! In reply to
Thanks Alex, I'll check it out Smile

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk