Gossamer Forum
Home : General : Chit Chat :

Bin Laden

Quote Reply
Bin Laden
Uh oh.

Just on the BBC that Bin Laden has obtained nuclear materials from Pakistan.
Quote Reply
Re: [RedRum] Bin Laden In reply to
There was a earlier report about osama looking for nuclear material in russia, supposedly, unsuccessfully.
Apparently he wants to build a "dirty" bomb. Not neccessarily a nuclear device, but one that could be exploded and spread radioactive nuclear material over a large area.
--
Rob

SW Montana's Online Community
Modular Model Railroading
Quote Reply
Re: [vanderen] Bin Laden In reply to
Sounds like a typical nuclear bomb/device to me...at least that is the purpose of nuclear armaments, which is to spread radioactive material over a large geographical area...very scary.
========================================
Buh Bye!

Cheers,
Me
Quote Reply
Re: [Chewbaca] Bin Laden In reply to
I think Osama's "dirty bomb" and modern nuclear bombs are different things

As I understand it, Osama's "dirty bomb" explodes and spreads radioactivity (i.e.: plutonium dust?) over a large area. It would have a very small blast area and a very large plume of radioactive waste. The big purpose is to terrorize people with the fear of what the radioactivity will do and cause a very expensive cleanup with a very cheap weapon. As far as I know, Osama's "dirty bomb" does utilize a nuclear reaction. It uses a normal chemical explosive as a delivery device to spread radioactivity over a large area.

There are also "dirty bombs" that are nuclear. These are usually found in countries that are new to the nuclear club, i.e.: india, pakistan, etc. They utilize a nuclear reaction to create a very large explosion to destroy things inside the blast zone However, the technology is not cutting edge so the nuclear reaction is not efficient and some of the radio active material is spread with the bomb. They would have a very large blast area and a large nuclear waste plume.

I think the newer nuclear weapons are much "cleaner" as the nuclear reaction is more efficient and utilizes more of the radioactive material.

A neutron bomb has a smaller blast area, kills living things in a relatively large area, but leaves the assets (buildings, vehicles) in the kill zone and outside of the blast area intact. In fact, an army can utilize this material to advance the hostilities, or the area can simply be re colonized when hostilities cease.

The general purpose nuclear bomb's simply destroys everything in the large blast zone.

From a military perspective, simply spreading nuclear material over a large geographical area is not desirable, as the radioactivity is a danger to your forces and makes the area unsuitable to hold after the hostilities cease. It also does nothing for a military strategically, as you have done nothing to reduce the lethal force of the opposing side.

From a terrorists stand point, spreading radioactive material is idea, as it reallocates resources to a very expensive cleanup, makes people afraid to go outside and creates a paranoia where every new freckle or zit becomes suspect.

But like you said, a big nuclear explosion or a fine dust of plutonium falling is very scary.
--
Rob

Quote Reply
Well at the end of the day, if he drops a bomb like that, I am gonna get in my car and drive over to Afghanistan and drag his skinny ass out of his cave myself, and then live in a palace with my $25,000,000 reward :)

Last edited by:

RedRum: Oct 27, 2001, 9:11 AM
Quote Reply
Don't know if you heard about the interview with Bin Laden's ex-sister-in-law with Diane Sawyer, but she attests that Bin Laden will commit suicide first than to be taken in by authorities.
========================================
Buh Bye!

Cheers,
Me
Quote Reply
Re: [Chewbaca] Bin Laden In reply to
hmmm ... I wonder if the US will ever be able to catch the guy ... dead or alive ...??? or will this turn into another Vietnam ... France pulled out the americans went and then pulled out!

ohhh How history loves to repeat itself.

will people ever learn ???

openoffice + gimp + sketch ... Smile
Quote Reply
Re: [QooQ] Bin Laden In reply to
Did you all not read Nostradamus' predictions?

The world is going to end. Everything is kicking off all at once - terrorism, israel/palestine and tons of other stuff.

Last edited by:

RedRum: Oct 28, 2001, 3:29 AM
Quote Reply
I've people quote that Nostradamus saying, but the opposers of it say it is completely false to this point in time, and something about it being wrong because he predicted other things too.

qooq,
I don't think this will be another Vietnam... Despite the fact that there will be deaths, In Vietnam we didn't declare war and didn't have the right resources, because congress b/s'd and everything.
Now we have a congress that already gave Bush the power to do war acts and have declared war. So basically in Viet, they just had our boys over there getting killed and sitting around. This time they'll fight.
(BTW... I'm sure you already knew about the congress not declaring war thing, Just thought i'd say it)
Lavon Russell
LookHard Mods
lavon@lh.links247.net
Quote Reply
Re: [Bmxer] Bin Laden In reply to
Oh yeah, he predicted stuff that was wrong etc....but he did predict a lot of major things that did happen.
Quote Reply
Just worried that if this becomes a prolonged effort that it will spread and become a true JIHAD rather than just get a terrorist with force.

Quote Reply
Paul,
Your definitely right. I believe he could very well be right with that prediction but i'm cautious to fully believe.

Qooq,
Yeah i know this is scary. (Not to put down the men who fought in Vietnam) but this not only makes it hard for the fighters but the people. In vietnam the soldiers had to worry about sneak attacks and tricks, but now on the homeland and in other countries, the citizens are worrying about that, so I agree with you that it is definitely already a disastrous time.
Lavon Russell
LookHard Mods
lavon@lh.links247.net
Quote Reply
Well, the Nostradamus quotes that circulated the net recently were mostly distorted and out of context. If you read his texts in French, there's ple-e-enty of room for interpretation, depending on what you want to believe in. Wink

As for Jihad: the concept of Jihad is competely misunderstood by Westerners and Muslim extremists alike. Result of ignorance on one side and blind fanatism on the other...
Quote Reply
Re: [Tho.mas] Bin Laden In reply to
Quote:
Well, the Nostradamus quotes that circulated the net recently were mostly distorted and out of context. If you read his texts in French, there's ple-e-enty of room for interpretation, depending on what you want to believe in.

I'll second the idea his texts leave room for interpetation. I pretty sure if we look back through time, these prophecises came true before now and will come true again in the future.
--
Rob

Quote Reply
OK putting aside that he used "white" magic -- looked upon a swirling swill in a a bowl. You have to remember that he wrote in ancient French -- which is translated into modern French and from there into many other languages.

Before the end of the world is supposedly the WW III which is phrase -- East meets West to join to fight against the Yellow man ... hmmm for the longest time I thought that this would apply to china.

Hmmm gotta find a copy of Nostradamus.

I forgot the exact wording of what was floating around on the net but apparently some jerk tweeked the the last part of the phrase ... In the city of Angles, 2 brothers fall, the leader succumbs, war ... or something or other like that ...

interesting to fiddle with prophecies ... what about revelations fromt he Bible? It should be a little more accurate than Nostradamus.

Quote Reply
http://www.snopes2.com/rumors/predict.htm
Quote Reply
Re: [Tho.mas] Bin Laden In reply to
That was interesting.

thanks!

Quote Reply
I read Revelations alot b/c i went to a christian school. It is definitely alot to think about with the thousand years of tribulation, all the suffering, coming of Christ. It does also say the world will end in fire, and not water this time. So i guess nuclear winter would be out of the running according to that. As long as they don't make nuclear weapons where the blasts are more deadly than the radiation. Smile
Lavon Russell
LookHard Mods
lavon@lh.links247.net
Quote Reply
Do you guys not find this a little freaky and accurate.....

Quote:
Two brothers torn apart by Chaos

Quote:
The third big war will begin when the big city is burning

Last edited by:

RedRum: Oct 28, 2001, 5:46 PM
Quote Reply
Ok, yeah, the second part is fine, but the first part. That could have meant alot of things.
Are we really brothers or were we ever that close to Afghanistan. This quote could have scared people during the Pearl Harbor incident also. There was chaos then. Gulf War. Vietnam, North and south were fighting- chaos. I don't actually get what the big city is but i'll assume its the us's capitol.
Lavon Russell
LookHard Mods
lavon@lh.links247.net
Quote Reply
The entire supposed "quatrain":

Quote:
In the City of God there will be a great thunder,
two brothers torn apart by chaos,
while the fortress endures, the great leader will sucumb.
The third big war will begin when the big city is burning.

FYI, this is NOT Nostradamus, but has mistakenly been widely circulated on the net as such.

See http://nostradamus-repository.org/ for more details.

--
Matt G
Quote Reply
Quote:
Are we really brothers or were we ever that close to Afghanistan.

I took it to mean the twin towers not the countries.
Quote Reply
Quote:
I took it to mean the twin towers not the countries.
Oh ok, my bad.
Lavon Russell
LookHard Mods
lavon@lh.links247.net
Quote Reply
No that's ok, you can interpret it how you wish I guess Angelic
Quote Reply
Quote:
No that's ok, you can interpret it how you wish I

Thats sort of the problem with nostradamas, isn't it. It is hard to pin down what he was predicting when you can't agree what he was talking aboutWink
--
Rob