Gossamer Forum
Home : General : Chit Chat :

New Yankee Workshop

Quote Reply
New Yankee Workshop
Has anyone seen this show?

I'm not sure about other countries but in the UK it is on discovery home and leisure. Norm is a carpentry *genius*

I am officially addicted to the show.

Last edited by:

Paul: Dec 3, 2002, 7:26 AM
Quote Reply
Re: [Paul] New Yankee Workshop In reply to
Norm has been a celebrity on public television here in the states for years. And he has all the best toys!

The New Yankee Workshop is a spin off from his day job on "This Old House". Ostensibly it's a show about restoring old homes like most home owners would like to do. But in recent years "This Old House" been about millionaires turning good homes into mansions.

If the long running, but now defunct, Tim Allen sitcom "Home Improvement" ever made it to air in the UK, it's an ode to "This Old House" and one of the characters is a direct rip off of Norm.
Quote Reply
Re: [ArmyAirForces] New Yankee Workshop In reply to
Quote:
If the long running, but now defunct, Tim Allen sitcom "Home Improvement" ever made it to air in the UK, it's an ode to "This Old House" and one of the characters is a direct rip off of Norm.

Ahhh "Al" right :)

Yeah I've seen "This old house" too.
Quote Reply
I like the show, but don't think I could ever do what he does. Having to set up the saws/tools - just to make one tiny little cut and then changing all of the adjustments just to make one more cut. I think it'd drive me nuts. Crazy
Quote Reply
Re: [Watts] New Yankee Workshop In reply to
Hello Watts,

You can even see Norm on the web at http://www.newyankee.com

I like their cgi error page : http://www.newyankee.com/GetProduct3.cgi?602

that's what I get for clicking on a link for the Doll House plans.

One man , $4 billion dollars worth of tools, and he often uses plywood / used lumber ?

Sawdust never seems to accumulate. He even talks to strangers.

cornball
Quote Reply
Re: [cornball] New Yankee Workshop In reply to
Nooooooo he's using a RAQ Smile

GT should whisk off an email to him and get him to use Gossamer Host.

The guy is awesome though. The other day I got so inspired that I thought I'd go and try and build something.....that was until I realised I only had a hammer, a drill, a few nails and a few scrap planks of wood :)

Norm has a tool for every little thing you'd ever want to do.

He spent an hour yesterday showing me how to make about 50 different jigs Laugh

Last edited by:

Paul: Dec 3, 2002, 11:08 AM
Quote Reply
I've done a couple of "home improvement" projects. Once you purchase your own place you'll get more inspired. I've replaced most of the light fixtures in my house and my next chore to tackle will be putting down tile on the kitchen floor.

(I'm also a 'Trading Spaces' junkie.)
Quote Reply
My dad knew that guy YEARS ago...

Philip
------------------
Limecat is not pleased.
Quote Reply
Re: [fuzzy thoughts] New Yankee Workshop In reply to
NORM!!!!!!

The guy that has a frigging jig for friggin anything. Truly amazing. I remember he slapped together a boat with some old wood, a jig here and there, and presto. Dam ...

I miss watching his show. Just awesome to watch him lift up a house with a jig that he slapped together in his garage.

Maybe, he should call his show, "Jigs and Norm!"

I've been doing remodling work since I could hold a hammer it seems. My father one time ripped off the front 2 story porch setup with a 442 and a riding lawnmower. Of course, he cut the beams with a chainsaw. Hmmm, too bad "This old House." came on-air way after my father practially rebuilt the house.

Smile

openoffice + gimp + sketch ... Smile
Quote Reply
Re: [QooQ] New Yankee Workshop In reply to
Yesterday he made a minature replica of his workshop and it was awesome as expected.
Quote Reply
How 'bout "Jiggy Norm"...sounds kinda hip Smile

------------------------------------------
Quote Reply
Re: [DogTags] New Yankee Workshop In reply to
hmmm, but that would sound like his foundation is off kilter Crazy

Quote Reply
Norm is awesome! Smile I watch him whenever I get the chance. I sure wish I could build stuff like he does. I'd like him to come to my house. I'm sure I could find something for him to make or fix. Cool

Sean
Quote Reply
Re: [SeanP] New Yankee Workshop In reply to
lolo ... talking about projects.

I wish he'd come up to where I leave and teach folks about insulation and window caulking Smile
Then have him go on about how metal roofs are horrible and dangerous.

Quote Reply
I want him to come here and build a huge play area for my cats with tunnels and platforms - like a huge maze Wink
Quote Reply
He probably has all of the jigs, templates and clamps needed to build a cat maze. In fact, he may even have a cat maze machine where you just throw some plywood in one side and a cat maze comes out the other side. Laugh

Sean
Quote Reply
Re: [SeanP] New Yankee Workshop In reply to
how true, how true.

Norm the cat jigger Wink