Gossamer Forum
Home : General : Chit Chat :

Masters

(Page 2 of 2)
> >
Quote Reply
Re: [King Junko II] Masters In reply to
Golf isn't the most popular sport, Soccer is by a very very very large margin Crazy Cricket is one of my favourite sports to watch and play, don't knock it Tongue

Golf is a game, it's not a sport. I used to play golf, so don't give me any crap about not knowing the game. If you can hit the ball 4 miles and have to walk to it then I will admit that its a sport. If you hit it about 350 yards then it's a game Wink

Proper sports: Basketball, Tennis, Football, Boxing etc.

Lame sports/games: Golf, Chess, Bird Watching.
Cheers,
Michael Bray
Quote Reply
Re: [Michael_Bray] Masters In reply to
>>
Golf isn't the most popular sport, Soccer is by a very very very large margin
<<

Soccer isn't played extensively in every country, specifically the US whereas golf is played worldwide and is very popular in the US.

Soccer and golf are the 2 most popular sports in the world.

>>Golf is a game, it's not a sport.<<

Thats just a niave remark, the same as when everyone said curling wasn't an olympic sport but myteriously they all changed their tune after watching it on tv.

>>
Proper sports: Basketball, Tennis, Football, Boxing etc.

Lame sports/games: Golf, Chess, Bird Watching.
<<

The only people that call certain sports lame are those who can't play them and are resentful at others who can, otherwise there would be no reason to hate the sport if you were good at it Tongue

Im not childish enough to label the sports Im crap at as "lame"...but if I were I'd say cricket is the lamest. Its a bunch of boring old farts standing about on a field....and you say golf isn't a sport?.....hmm its more of a sport than "cricket"

..."good shot old chap!!"

....and yes my dad plays cricket and yes he's a boring old fart.

Last edited by:

Paul: Apr 13, 2002, 4:12 AM
Quote Reply
Re: [Paul] Masters In reply to
I'm actually like playing golf, and I am pretty good at it. I'm just saying that its not really much of a sport, its more of a game. Cricket involves hitting a ball and bowling as well. When you are fielding its not really a sport, but everyone gets to bat eventually unless you declare or run out of overs.

Soccer would easily be 50 times more popular then golf in terms of both people that play it, and people that watch it. I don't like the way this sounds, but golf is pretty much a Yuppie game. Most people can't afford to play golf.

Basketball would be more largely played and watched then golf as well. Golf is not a very popular game.
Cheers,
Michael Bray
Quote Reply
>>
Soccer would easily be 50 times more popular then golf in terms of both people that play it, and people that watch it.
Golf is not a very popular game.
<<

Nooo that is so wrong. Golf is unbelievably popular, otherwise they wouldn't put the Masters on friday night prime-time BBC tv....or are you referring to Australia...I can imagine its not popular there.

My mum works for the English Sports Council and she just told me that fishing is the most popular "sport" in the UK, it kicks football and golfs ass.

Last edited by:

Paul: Apr 13, 2002, 4:41 AM
Quote Reply
Fishing is number 5 down here behind cricket, rugby league, rugby union and aussie rules football. Womans golf down here rates higher then mens golf.
Cheers,
Michael Bray
Quote Reply
womens golf will no doubt always rate higher .... just like womens tennis Angelic

openoffice + gimp + sketch ... Smile
Quote Reply
Re: [QooQ] Masters In reply to
There isn't any really good chicks playing golf. Its just that we have a good female player in Karrie Web, and our male players aren't doing well at all.

Anna Kournikova is always going to rate higher then Pete Sampras. All the female golfers have big asses though, not very impressive to watch.
Cheers,
Michael Bray
Quote Reply
Have you heard of Joanne Morley?....plays on the tour with karrie web and annika sorenstam .....well she's a member at sale golf club which is 2 mins from here Cool ....and across the street (literally) from where i play.

Last edited by:

Paul: Apr 13, 2002, 8:24 AM
Quote Reply
Golf is popular in Western countries who have money. Basically. It is seen as a "sport" (use the term very very loosely) that the rich like to play - often seen as a status symbol - like Bill Clinton stepping out for a game of golf etc. etc.

Yuck.

- wil
Quote Reply
Re: [Wil] Masters In reply to
Laugh

yep can be very expensive to play but not just western.

Korea seems to be famous for golfing. Cheju Island I believe ( I could be wrong though).
Japan, has courses every where it seems and golf centers every few k's in the cities.

Has any body seen a 3 story golfing range?
Pretty cool to swat balls off a 3 floor.

Some places the ball pops up from the floor.

hmmmm prices. I remember paying $5 on naval bases in California. $40 for a beach side course in Santa Barbara next to my college. Never did get up to Pismo or over to Palm Springs. Hehe, maybe cause I never did own a pair of golf shoes.

openoffice + gimp + sketch ... Smile
> >