Gossamer Forum
Home : General : Chit Chat :

Googe Groups interesting threads

Quote Reply
Googe Groups interesting threads
"first mention" articles on Usenet. This is some interesting reading! :-)

http://www.google.com/...ive_announce_20.html

- wil
Quote Reply
Re: [Wil] Googe Groups interesting threads In reply to
Hehe, interesting. These articles are older than many members of theseforums. Wink
Quote Reply
Re: [Wil] Googe Groups interesting threads In reply to
Lol...have a look at this one >>>http://groups.google.com/...selm=bnews.uwvax.567[/url] <<< man that makes me crack up....lol Tongue

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Want to give me something back for my help? Please see my Amazon Wish List
GLinks ULTRA Package | GLinks ULTRA Package PRO
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
Re: [AndyNewby] Googe Groups interesting threads In reply to
ROLFMAO!!!

- wil
Quote Reply
Yeah and I bet in another 10 years you'll find the same about how great Pentium IV's are/were but we'll be up to about PX
Quote Reply
Have you seen the post "Microsoft looking for Wizards". That is well funny.

- wil
Quote Reply

http://groups.google.com/...40news.supernews.com

Last edited by:

PaulW: Dec 17, 2001, 6:03 AM
Quote Reply
Re: [PaulW] Googe Groups interesting threads In reply to
don't laugh I programmed basic on the PET and used to send the commodore 64 on display at the local stores into indefinite loops:

10 print "I'm immortal"
20 goto 10

Tongue

jeez another Alex thread !!!! oh well I still like his beard Wink

openoffice + gimp + sketch ... Smile
Quote Reply
Re: [QooQ] Googe Groups interesting threads In reply to
Lol...I remember programming a bombing game on my Amstrad 64 I think Tongue

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Want to give me something back for my help? Please see my Amazon Wish List
GLinks ULTRA Package | GLinks ULTRA Package PRO
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
Cool :-) Do you still have your C64? Mine still runs pretty decent for about an hour before it craps out from overheating. I used to program stuff out of Compute! (or was that Computing?) when I was about 11. Check out c64.org and c64.com for emulators and game disk images.

--Philip
Links 2.0 moderator
Quote Reply
Re: [ThatPerson1024] Googe Groups interesting threads In reply to
Ah...those were the days. I remember programming some games on the 48k Sinclair Spectrum, my best achievement was a racing game to the white house to stop the president hitting the nuke button LaughLaugh

Don't throw out your old gear either - these originals are becoming antiques!

~ ERASER

Free JavaScripts @ Insight Eye

Last edited by:

Eraser: Dec 17, 2001, 2:02 PM
Quote Reply
Yea, BASIC was the sh%$ during the late 70's and early 80's, when I was a closet computer geek...but I prefered programming on Texas Instrument...forgot the model, but I remember going to computer camp in 7th grade and we used Texas Instruments...
========================================
Buh Bye!

Cheers,
Me
Quote Reply
Re: [Heckler] Googe Groups interesting threads In reply to
Actually I was a Radio Shack TRS-80 boy in Jr. High and Apple IIc at home .... the first portable ... well I went for the newer one rather than an older IIe or the LISA. I remember seeing the first Macintosh but none of my friends used the 3.5 floppy so .... either get a mouse and computer or get the IIc semi-portable and "ahem" borrow games from friends.

First real game I made was the ants program and then moved up to a single Galazian type of thing. Making graphics out of chunks of pixels was a real pain in the ass.

Hehe one more ... I remember swiping my dad's penthouse cuz it had the cheat for pacman in it !!! Laugh err ... pictures were good too!

openoffice + gimp + sketch ... Smile
Quote Reply
I loved my TRS 80. Spent many an hour playing games on that thing. The thing I realy hated about it was the cheap cassette player it for storage. Most of the time it wouldn't work and I wound up loosing a lot of programs, even though they were just coppied out of a book. Moved up to an 8086 after that.

In the cupboard I still have a realy old Panasonic which uses 12' floppys as main storage which still works, and a Toshiba T1000 lap top, no hard drive just a floppy loaded with DOS 2.

Anyway enough memories.

Bobhttp://totallyfreeads.com[/url]
Quote Reply
Re: [Eraser] Googe Groups interesting threads In reply to
Ah yeah, the old Spectrum. I remember doing some programming on my Sinclair Spectrum 128k. Whoa! I had the 128k version :-)

Those were the days where games actually had playability. They couldn't rely on fancy graphics so they actually had to make the games worthwhile!

I remember programming a game using the infared gun supplied with one of the games, I think it was James Bond.

I also remember only paying 1.99 for the latest Dizzy game, and then making inifnite copies using my tape player. Where on earth did the price hike come into games?

I'm currently using mine as a doorstop :-)

- wil

Last edited by:

Wil: Dec 18, 2001, 3:02 AM