Gossamer Forum
Home : General : Chit Chat :

Googe Groups interesting threads

Quote Reply
Googe Groups interesting threads
"first mention" articles on Usenet. This is some interesting reading! :-)

http://www.google.com/...ive_announce_20.html

- wil
Quote Reply
Re: [Wil] Googe Groups interesting threads In reply to
Hehe, interesting. These articles are older than many members of theseforums. Wink
Quote Reply
Re: [Wil] Googe Groups interesting threads In reply to
Lol...have a look at this one >>>http://groups.google.com/...selm=bnews.uwvax.567[/url] <<< man that makes me crack up....lol Tongue

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Want to give me something back for my help? Please see my Amazon Wish List
GLinks ULTRA Package | GLinks ULTRA Package PRO
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
Re: [AndyNewby] Googe Groups interesting threads In reply to
ROLFMAO!!!

- wil
Quote Reply
Yeah and I bet in another 10 years you'll find the same about how great Pentium IV's are/were but we'll be up to about PX
Quote Reply
Have you seen the post "Microsoft looking for Wizards". That is well funny.

- wil
Quote Reply

http://groups.google.com/...40news.supernews.com

Last edited by:

PaulW: Dec 17, 2001, 6:03 AM
Quote Reply
Re: [PaulW] Googe Groups interesting threads In reply to
don't laugh I programmed basic on the PET and used to send the commodore 64 on display at the local stores into indefinite loops:

10 print "I'm immortal"
20 goto 10

Tongue

jeez another Alex thread !!!! oh well I still like his beard Wink

openoffice + gimp + sketch ... Smile
Quote Reply
Re: [QooQ] Googe Groups interesting threads In reply to
Lol...I remember programming a bombing game on my Amstrad 64 I think Tongue

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Want to give me something back for my help? Please see my Amazon Wish List
GLinks ULTRA Package | GLinks ULTRA Package PRO
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
Cool :-) Do you still have your C64? Mine still runs pretty decent for about an hour before it craps out from overheating. I used to program stuff out of Compute! (or was that Computing?) when I was about 11. Check out c64.org and c64.com for emulators and game disk images.

--Philip
Links 2.0 moderator
Quote Reply
Re: [ThatPerson1024] Googe Groups interesting threads In reply to
Ah...those were the days. I remember programming some games on the 48k Sinclair Spectrum, my best achievement was a racing game to the white house to stop the president hitting the nuke button LaughLaugh

Don't throw out your old gear either - these originals are becoming antiques!

~ ERASER

Free JavaScripts @ Insight Eye

Last edited by:

Eraser: Dec 17, 2001, 2:02 PM
Quote Reply
Yea, BASIC was the sh%$ during the late 70's and early 80's, when I was a closet computer geek...but I prefered programming on Texas Instrument...forgot the model, but I remember going to computer camp in 7th grade and we used Texas Instruments...
========================================
Buh Bye!

Cheers,
Me
Quote Reply
Re: [Heckler] Googe Groups interesting threads In reply to
Actually I was a Radio Shack TRS-80 boy in Jr. High and Apple IIc at home .... the first portable ... well I went for the newer one rather than an older IIe or the LISA. I remember seeing the first Macintosh but none of my friends used the 3.5 floppy so .... either get a mouse and computer or get the IIc semi-portable and "ahem" borrow games from friends.

First real game I made was the ants program and then moved up to a single Galazian type of thing. Making graphics out of chunks of pixels was a real pain in the ass.

Hehe one more ... I remember swiping my dad's penthouse cuz it had the cheat for pacman in it !!! Laugh err ... pictures were good too!

openoffice + gimp + sketch ... Smile
Quote Reply
I loved my TRS 80. Spent many an hour playing games on that thing. The thing I realy hated about it was the cheap cassette player it for storage. Most of the time it wouldn't work and I wound up loosing a lot of programs, even though they were just coppied out of a book. Moved up to an 8086 after that.

In the cupboard I still have a realy old Panasonic which uses 12' floppys as main storage which still works, and a Toshiba T1000 lap top, no hard drive just a floppy loaded with DOS 2.

Anyway enough memories.

Bobhttp://totallyfreeads.com[/url]
Quote Reply
Re: [Eraser] Googe Groups interesting threads In reply to
Ah yeah, the old Spectrum. I remember doing some programming on my Sinclair Spectrum 128k. Whoa! I had the 128k version :-)

Those were the days where games actually had playability. They couldn't rely on fancy graphics so they actually had to make the games worthwhile!

I remember programming a game using the infared gun supplied with one of the games, I think it was James Bond.

I also remember only paying £1.99 for the latest Dizzy game, and then making inifnite copies using my tape player. Where on earth did the price hike come into games?

I'm currently using mine as a doorstop :-)

- wil

Last edited by:

Wil: Dec 18, 2001, 3:02 AM