Gossamer Forum
Home : General : Chit Chat :

ipowerweb.com

Quote Reply
ipowerweb.com
I happened to find a host company named ipowerweb.com.

Price: $7.95/month + Free Setup, MySQL, Size: 500 MB Disk Space, 30 GB Bandwidth. Refer three clients for a Web hosting package and your Web hosting will be free for an entire year. Drive traffic to its Web site and receive $50 (Tier 1) and $5 (Tier 2) in commission for every new customer.

I went to google.com and searched 'ipowerweb'. It's ads are everywhere. Too good to be true?
Quote Reply
Re: [Fortune] ipowerweb.com In reply to
Head over to http://www.webhostingtalk.com/ and do a for them there. I just glanced at the results but it looked pretty mixed.

~Charlie
Quote Reply
Re: [Chaz] ipowerweb.com In reply to
I were already there 2 hours ago. The results looked pretty mixed. They sponsor google.com, yahoo.com, etc. Lots of sites affiliate with them. Just wonder how they can cover the cost?
Quote Reply
I was thinking the same thing. It's pretty obvious that they over sell their servers so they bet on clients not utilizing all their allocated resources.
Quote Reply
The _bottom_ line is you get what you pay for. Servers and bandwidth cost money. If you see a host offering 30GB bandwidth for $7.95 then they are claiming to be able to get bandwidth at $0.26 per GB and still make a profit - B_U_L_L

Last edited by:

Paul: May 6, 2003, 1:51 PM
Quote Reply
Re: [Paul] ipowerweb.com In reply to
Well, what they count on in that model is that most customers will never come close to their bandwidth caps. . . leaving the provider with plenty of overhead for those that do.

In their TOS, most users who might reach that cap, and will purchase this sort of package, are probably prohibited anyway.
Quote Reply
Ipowerweb In reply to
Guys,

I know this thread is quite old but...

I am with Ipowerweb and have been for about a year. Read the articles on the webhostingtalk.com and the comments here. To be perfectly honest, at the webhostingtalk.com most of the disparaging comments were made by people with the appended signature of an advertisement for their own webhosting services.

In short, I am very happy with ipowerweb. Never had a single problem with customer service at all. Any issue was handled in a timely and courteous manner. As far as speed goes, the other website mentions the issue of overselling on each server and hence speed has been affected. This I do not know and doubt anyone really does. I cannot complain about speed at all. There is not a problem that I have had.

Bear in mind, I am in Australia and ipowerweb is in the USA. My FTP speeds and site loading rates are brilliant. I Use the links sql with over 300,000 links in it and search's and results are performed and returned at very high and acceptable speed.

I personally would recommend them.

Putting it another way, if you ever had any experience with Australian ISP's and their boody minded simple stupidity you would understand my praise for ipowerweb. The Australian ISP's think they are doing you a favor by letting you have 10megs of server space. As for a sql account? forget it. perl is often a luxury. Bandwidth? Good grief, dont ask.

With Ipowerweb I am paying abouy AU$13 per month with what they offer. And free domain renewals every year. With an Australian ISP one quote I had was over AU$500 per month for the same service.

I know when I am well off and why the Australian ISP's are falling over at a rapid rate.
Quote Reply
Re: [Paul] ipowerweb.com In reply to
In Reply To:
The _bottom_ line is you get what you pay for. Servers and bandwidth cost money. If you see a host offering 30GB bandwidth for $7.95 then they are claiming to be able to get bandwidth at $0.26 per GB and still make a profit - B_U_L_L

Anyone know what a reasonable range is for transfer?

I have been looking and have been dividing monthly cost by the transfer and that has been very helpful ratio. Range of hosts I have looked at recently:

High - GossamerHost $10.42/gb transfer
Low - NatureHosting $0.036/gb transfer

Somewhere I heard $0.50/gb was the bottom of the reasonable range. Current budget host costs $1.40 and two I am looking at are $1.625/gb and 1.49/gb of transfer.
--
Rob

SW Montana's Online Community
Modular Model Railroading
Quote Reply
Re: [BeaverheadRiver] ipowerweb.com In reply to
Hi Rob,

Where did you get the $10.42 calculation? Our current rates are $3 a gig for overage on dedicated servers, but we can go lower for higher commitments.

Cheers,

Alex
--
Gossamer Threads Inc.
Quote Reply
Re: [Alex] ipowerweb.com In reply to
Quote:
I have been looking and have been dividing monthly cost by the transfer and that has been very helpful ratio.

Oops, didn't read that right. I see where you got the calculation. That doesn't take into account all the other services included. For GossamerHost that includes:

* Upto 7 daily incremental backups that you can access and retrieve files.
* Fully monitored server, all services (Apache, MySQL, Qmail, etc) are also monitored and if anything does not respond, the service is restarted and a tech is notified.
* Manged software: everything on the server is managed, and all security patches are analyzed and applied (been holes in Apache, MySQL, OpenSSH, OpenSSL, PHP, Linux Kernel and more in the last six months).
* integrated mod_perl support (setup properly as a proxied server)
* Free server level virus scanning and spam parsing

and much much more. Just dividing the total hosting cost by bandwidth isn't really a good way to look at things at all.

You really need to look at it from an entire package perspective.

Cheers,

Alex
--
Gossamer Threads Inc.
Quote Reply
Re: [Alex] ipowerweb.com In reply to
Yes. Simply dividing the monthly cost by the gb of bandwidth is not the only thing to consider in choosing a host. But it has been a useful ratio for my purposes. It does allow you to rank hosts' packages with the same disk space, as the more expensive hosts are usually have more and better features and more respected. It also allows you to sort off the "chaff" that are too cheap, ie: $0.036/gb.

Some that seem "too cheap", sometimes just have smaller transfer allowances. Other appear to be "premium" hosts and just have unusually large transfer allowances.

GossamerHost come highly recommended. It just exceeds the budget for my project.
--
Rob

SW Montana's Online Community
Modular Model Railroading