Gossamer Forum
Home : General : Chit Chat :

Yahoo Ads

(Page 1 of 2)
> >
Quote Reply
Yahoo Ads
http://www.yahoo.com/

I hope it is still there but what do you think of that Gateway flash ad?
Quote Reply
Re: [Paul] Yahoo Ads In reply to
Nothing special.
========================================
Buh Bye!

Cheers,
Me
Quote Reply
Re: [Stealth] Yahoo Ads In reply to
What exactly did you see?
Quote Reply
I saw Gateways new Profile 4 hopping about the screen, then jumping back into the ad where it came from. Yesterday I saw an advert on TV about it where Gateway was bashing the I-Mac.

This is called a "shoshkele", I believe.

--Philip
Links 2.0 moderator

Last edited by:

sponge: Aug 28, 2002, 9:57 AM
Quote Reply
Re: [sponge] Yahoo Ads In reply to
I don't think Gateways attempt at an iMac is a very stylish one. I have not studied the specs on it yet, but at least it will give Apple some competition (though it may not really by that competative).

http://www.iuni.com/...tware/web/index.html
Links Plugins
Quote Reply
It's a pretty cool animation IMO...clever how it is done.
Quote Reply
Re: [Ian] Yahoo Ads In reply to
Gateways version is a PC so it will sell loads more than the Apple will due to operating system only.Wink Even though the Apple may be better the PC is more what people want (as a whole)
Quote Reply
Uh...a Gateway computer with the Gateway icon, and a bunch of "flashing" text about the computer. What gives? What was I supposed to see? Because what I saw as I already mentioned as nothing special.
Buh Bye!

Cheers,
Me
Quote Reply
Did you click on the [Replay Ad] link?

----
Cheers,

Dan
Founder and CEO

LionsGate Creative
GoodPassRobot
Magelln
Quote Reply
Re: [dan] Yahoo Ads In reply to
Nope...just opened the Yahoo homepage, and all I saw was a generic animated graphic for Gateway computers, nothing moving across the screen, so, nothing special.
Buh Bye!

Cheers,
Me
Quote Reply
You need (at least in my case) to click on the [Replay Ad] text link under the ad to see the effect - Gateway computer graphic leaps from banner, dances across your screen, and then returns.

----
Cheers,

Dan
Founder and CEO

LionsGate Creative
GoodPassRobot
Magelln
Quote Reply
Should I write out some brief instructions on how to view the animation? Cool

Last edited by:

Paul: Aug 28, 2002, 12:06 PM
Quote Reply
Welp, clicked on the Reply Ad button and all that happened was that I was redirected to Gateway's web site. I am using Netscape 4.79, so it probably only works in IE.

And Paul, you don't have to comment on Netscape, I am well aware of your sentiment towards Netscape.

Thanks.
Buh Bye!

Cheers,
Me
Quote Reply
Not necessary. But thanks for offering.
Buh Bye!

Cheers,
Me
Quote Reply
I thought it may be a browser issue. When I tried with Netscape 6.1, no [Replay Ad] link - only [Enter to Win] link. So I also couldn't see the animation with Netscape.

----
Cheers,

Dan
Founder and CEO

LionsGate Creative
GoodPassRobot
Magelln
Quote Reply
Blech, my handy little chart doesn't help either :)

http://hotwired.lycos.com/...rence/browser_chart/
Quote Reply
Shoshkele home page... http://www.unitedvirtualities.com

According to them, Shoshkeles are browser/platform independent, and do not require plugins to be installed. However, some Shoshkelese ("PV or Plain Vanilla Shoshkeles") require Internet Explorer and Macromedia Shockwave. Other browsers see a non-interactive ad, it seems.

--Philip
Links 2.0 moderator
Quote Reply
They are really cool, I like that spiderman one. The navigation links at that site are a bastard to click though.
Quote Reply
Hm... look at the atached screen shot and tell me if you see the problem.

--Philip
Links 2.0 moderator
Quote Reply
1.) it's an XP browser
2.) probably this is what you're asking about ... hp invest ... powering Yahoo ????

@ systems

lol ... Gateway ran away from Japan with it's tail stuck between it's hind legs.

Gateway claimed build an all-in-one before the iMac. Stupid company ... Apple built their first all-in-ones way back in ??? 85 or so with the first Machintosh. Although, I thought that the tandy TSR-80 was also an all-in-one.

Gateway used a bunch of javascript and what not to test the machines. Thy also used way different configurations.

Interesting idea on Gateway's part but should have been done with more class and intellect .. but then again they're a PeeC company.

@ at what people want

Great, just becuase people want them ... what does that mean?
Do people want them because they work better, make their lives easier, or because their neighbor has one?

I choose a mac because it gets things done, with the least amount of headaches, and what not. Please refer to my and crapshoots threads for more details.

But, I still think you should use what is the easiest for you to use, not something that is just cool or nifty.

openoffice + gimp + sketch ... Smile
Quote Reply
Re: [QooQ] Yahoo Ads In reply to
no... What's funny about that screen shot was that the first ad's picture and description do not match. The picture is of a desktop, but the description is of a PocketPC.

--Philip
Links 2.0 moderator

Last edited by:

sponge: Aug 30, 2002, 8:50 PM
Quote Reply
Re: [QooQ] Yahoo Ads In reply to
Gateway run from Canada last year too.

I know many people who got burnt with them. They bought brand new systems, and then Gateway closed its doors right across Canada, leaving them in the cold. They claimed you could still get support, but they got nothing but hassells there after.

http://www.iuni.com/...tware/web/index.html
Links Plugins
Quote Reply
Re: [Ian] Yahoo Ads In reply to
I'm using a gateway to write this post Smile
Quote Reply
nothing wrong with their machines so to say but rather their management Crazy

openoffice + gimp + sketch ... Smile
Quote Reply
I agree with qooq. I am sure the machines are excellent. As are dell.

But they have had management or company problems here in Canada, which now means there are no longer in business here (as far as I can tell).

Sure this could happen to any company, but as it stands, I would not recommend a Canadian buyer to Gateway.
> >