Gossamer Forum
Home : General : Chit Chat :

Spam

Quote Reply
Spam
After receiving over 1100 spam messages this weekend (with over 70 that Spam Assassin didn't catch), I found this to be very interesting, especially if I had a new email address to do it all over again with. =)

http://www.cdt.org/...0319spamreport.shtml

Cheers,

Alex
--
Gossamer Threads Inc.
Quote Reply
Re: [Alex] Spam In reply to
I'm atually getting good results lately by first filtering my mail through SpamAssasin and then filtering it again through Razor. Not a spam message has passed through in two weeks or maybe more.

- wil
Quote Reply
Re: [Alex] Spam In reply to
I always encrypt my emails on webpages (when I remember) or use contact forms.

I guess your email is fairly widely known though so it's probably much harder for you to keep it hidden.

Last edited by:

Paul: Apr 15, 2003, 2:18 AM
Quote Reply
Re: [Paul] Spam In reply to
In Reply To:
I always encrypt my emails on webpages (when I remember) or use contact forms.

I guess your email is fairly widely known though so it's probably much harder for you to keep it hidden.

Way back, someone (Alex) posted an article link about how GT was one of the gorillas of the industry, based on the number of links. Probably a lot of spam spiders come to GT from all those pages and harvest emails.

The emails and spam article was good. I had seen the encrypted emails idea before. It was also interesting that if you made the email "human readable" that was effective.

I think contact forms would be the way to go, because the spam spider industry will also use the article as a way to improve harvest of emails, so at some point, both the encrypted (easiest) and human readable (hardest) will be able to be harvested.
--
Rob

SW Montana's Online Community
Modular Model Railroading
Quote Reply
Re: [BeaverheadRiver] Spam In reply to
The basic forms of encryption are pretty easy to "crack", eg...

paul@adsql.com

With perl:

Code:
my $email = 'paul@adsql.com';
$email =~ s/&#(\d+);/chr($1)/eg;

Last edited by:

Paul: Apr 15, 2003, 6:41 AM
Quote Reply
Using perl, the "source" would never be out in the open, would it?

I don't know enough about perl to write a script and/or encode, but I can go to hotscripts and find a contact form Cool
--
Rob

Quote Reply
That's correct. No-one can get access to the source code, otherwise we'd all be stealing each others code =)

The only way you can see someone elses code is if they don't associate .pl/.cgi extensions properly in their webserver configuration allowing the code to be downloaded as plain text.
Quote Reply
I don't know much about php, but is the source code viewable? Or is the script interpreted and only html viewable online?
--
Rob

Quote Reply
Yes same applies to php as with perl.
Quote Reply
I use a javascript to do something similar, but don't you think the spiders know by now?

Klaus

http://www.ameinfo.com