Gossamer Forum
Home : General : Chit Chat :

Reporters Killed Perhaps

Quote Reply
Reporters Killed Perhaps
http://story.news.yahoo.com/...q_britain_missing_dc

I was about to post the details but found the Yahoo article above that explains all.

Incase anyone doesn't know, ITV is our second biggest broadcaster behind the BBC and Terry Lloyd is quite a famous presenter.

Last edited by:

Paul: Mar 22, 2003, 7:45 AM
Quote Reply
Re: [Paul] Reporters Killed Perhaps In reply to
Was the ITV crew embedded with a military unit or were they out driving around on their own? I know some reporters are trying to run around on their own outside of the embedded media scheme.

If on their own, it would be extremely dangerous for them to be doing so. Reports die in hostile areas all the time unfortunately.

But if they were with a military unit, I wonder if the enemy shot at the press first or the military (insert your own joke here)?

Hmmm, might also wonder if they have been nabbed by some Iraqi military unit needing hostages?

Last edited by:

ArmyAirForces: Mar 22, 2003, 8:18 AM
Quote Reply
Re: [ArmyAirForces] Reporters Killed Perhaps In reply to
I *think* they were with US/British forces although the details are confusing. One of the reporters who escaped said he was driving in a reporters truck with Terry Lloyd. They went over a bridge and saw Iraqi troops and so did a U-turn. Then Iraqi trucks sped past their own truck and were making gestures like they wanted to surrender, but then they started being fired at and the driver (the survivor) said he crouched down in the drivers seat and when he sat up the passenger door was open and Terry had gone. The driver then dived into a ditch and his car blew up. He then said the Iraqi truck blew up too, which could be the result of the forces the reporters were travelling with, but it's unclear.
Quote Reply
The false surrender gambit was something those bastards pulled in the last Gulf War. Hopefully our troops are better prepared for it this time.

It makes the task of surrendering that much more difficult for the Iraqis who legitimately want out of the whole mess.
Quote Reply
I remember reading something about leaflets that the US dropped having specific directions as to what the Iraqis are to do when they truly want to surrender. Something about walking away from vehicles and weapons and lining up or walking in a certain order. They must have devised this after the false surrenders last time 'round.

~Charlie
Quote Reply
Re: [Chaz] Reporters Killed Perhaps In reply to
Yeah..I think we will be seeing quite a bit more of this suicide killings in the future Frown A lot of them would rather die a marter to their cause, than surrender.

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Want to give me something back for my help? Please see my Amazon Wish List
GLinks ULTRA Package | GLinks ULTRA Package PRO
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
The Pentagon, during their briefing, just said the different reporters killed (in the north and the south) were not embedded with coalition forces.

The spokesperson expressed deep regret, and then went on to emphasize again how dangerous the area is. Also urged networks to restrain their freelance reporters from running around the country in the middle of a war - which seems to be a very reasonable suggestion.

But the press has a different agenda, let's hope not too many of them pay for it.
Quote Reply
Those killed were not the ones mentioned in the article I linked to above. They are still missing. The 10pm news in on here at the moment on ITV and a statement was issued saying that after 14 hours there is still no news on the missing reporters and that the signs are looking bleak.
Quote Reply
It has been announced that Terry and his crew are dead Frown
Quote Reply
Sorry to hear it. Reporters often take great risks to get their story. In a country like Iraq, with criminal thugs who treat other Iraqis the way they do, journalists--or coalition Prisoners of War--cannot hope for humane treatment.

On a similar note, I was just reading this article by a reporter who was also running around on his own, and came about as close as you can get to being killed. Link: http://www.msnbc.com/news/889555.asp

He's got a heck of a story to share around the pressroom coffee pot when he gets back home.