Gossamer Forum
Home : General : Chit Chat :

Registry.

Quote Reply
Registry.
I just hacked XP's registry...everything is so clear...how nice of them :)

Check out my title bar in the attachment.

Ive also changed the default search URL when the URL you enter doesn't exist and also have found where you change the default error pages like "This page cannot be displayed" .....think Im gonna have to jazz those up a bit :)

Hmm btw I thought the upload limit was 300kb Crazy
Quote Reply
Re: [Paul] Registry. In reply to
For anyone with XP:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main

Or for some nice options try:

Run > gpedit.msc
Quote Reply
Default IE hyperlink colors:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Settings
Quote Reply
Default Pages:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\AboutURLs
Quote Reply
I don't have XP, but can't you also do these through the free MS-PowerToys utility?

~ ERASER

Free JavaScripts @ Insight Eye

Last edited by:

Eraser: Apr 17, 2002, 11:02 AM
Quote Reply
Re: [Eraser] Registry. In reply to
Not that I know of. Although having said that Im not sure Ive tried that program.
Quote Reply
Tweak-UI, Paul... one of coolest little programs. Anyway, there are lots of nifty settings. Then there are some that piss me off. I wanted to have the Program Files directory on a seperate partition, and I couldn't find any easy way to do this, so I copied over thing, then manually edited a few hundred registry entries to make it work. Needless to say when I reinstalled XP I didn't bother wasting my time. I'll just have to suffer with the long time it takes to copy a few GB to my backup hard disk.

--Philip
Links 2.0 moderator
Quote Reply
Re: [sponge] Registry. In reply to
Yeah, Philip. Tweak-UI is absolutely brilliant. Very handy to sort out your Start Menu in ASC order in Win98 :-)

Hacking the registry is preety straightforward, though. You just go in and search for 'Internet Explorer' or whatever program you want to tweak. From there everything should be self-explanatory.

The Internet Explorer tweaks can be done by downloading the IE Developers kit available free from the MS website. I know because I've customized our workgroup one to add a little branding.

Cheers

- wil
Quote Reply
Re: [Wil] Registry. In reply to
I just thought this would be good information for those that don't know. When you want to maximize or close multiple windows at once, you can hold control while left clicking the mouse and then right click for the menu.
Lavon Russell
LookHard Mods
lavon@lh.links247.net
Quote Reply
Re: [Bmxer] Registry. In reply to
Funky!! I like that one. You mean right-click on the internet explorer window on your task bar, choose minimize and all explorer windows minimize? That is preety funky, cheers!

- wil
Quote Reply
yeah it does that too. actually, there's alot of tips at
http://www.activewin.com/tips/index.shtml - it has windows registry stuff here too. I like the quick restart one most of all http://www.activewin.com/... Restart For Windows
Lavon Russell
LookHard Mods
lavon@lh.links247.net
Quote Reply
I don't understand that one.
Quote Reply
i hope someone knew this one too. That by pushing ALT+PrintScreen, windows will copy the screen shot to the clipboard and then you can go to paint and paste it. I spent alot of time downloading screenshot programs and didn't even know about this
Lavon Russell
LookHard Mods
lavon@lh.links247.net
Quote Reply
Oooo thats cool - I didn't know that one.
Quote Reply
Yeah-that's the best feature of Windows. No need to press ALT though - just hit 'PrintScreen' from within any application. I use this all the time - a real life save/time saver!!

- wil
Quote Reply
Alt gets you just the window you're active in, otherwise you get the whole desktop. Depends on the user though, some always have their apps full screen some don't.
Quote Reply
Re: [HeavyBombers] Registry. In reply to
ho hum ... poor boys ...

openoffice + gimp + sketch ... Smile
Quote Reply
Re: [QooQ] Registry. In reply to
Just another one I've found to add to this list.

If you know that the address ends in .com you can omitt the http://www. and the .com out of the address and Interrnet Explorer will drop these in for you.

Just type "gossamer-threads" into the title bar and instead of hitting enter, hit ctrl-enter and it will finish the URL off for you and send you on your way...

- wil
Quote Reply
Doesn't do much with other TLDs though. Wink
========================================
Buh Bye!

Cheers,
Me