Gossamer Forum
Home : General : Chit Chat :

M$ Code

Quote Reply
M$ Code
I see M$ are to release chunks of code to the public...hehe it's so funny they've been against doing that for so long and when finally forced to do it they start saying things like "It will help developers program software and applications for the windows operating system"

Last edited by:

Paul: Aug 6, 2002, 8:42 AM
Quote Reply
Re: [Paul] M$ Code In reply to
Surely, releasing chunks of codes, will only help hackers find more vulnerabilities in their programs?

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Want to give me something back for my help? Please see my Amazon Wish List
GLinks ULTRA Package | GLinks ULTRA Package PRO
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
Re: [Andy] M$ Code In reply to
Linux => Open Source => Less bugs and vulnerabilities than M$?
Quote Reply
Good point. Maybe thats just cos people don't really bother looking for vunrabilities in Linux, as the overal usage of it is far less than Windows.

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Want to give me something back for my help? Please see my Amazon Wish List
GLinks ULTRA Package | GLinks ULTRA Package PRO
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
Ah...the age old debate about open source vs. closed source.

This is one that will never be won by either side as both sides have valid and viable points. Crazy

My choice of course is closed. But there is always room for open opinion!Tongue

Last edited by:

Teambldr: Aug 6, 2002, 9:44 AM
Quote Reply
Re: [Teambldr] M$ Code In reply to
I have no preference and use both...if something open source does what I need I'll use it and vice versa...what I don't like is people who criticize others, without substantial reasoning for their choice of open source or closed source applications/OS's

Last edited by:

Paul: Aug 6, 2002, 9:48 AM
Quote Reply
Obviously I use both as well (GT/Plugins/etc...)

When it comes to the OS I have to say that I have had much less problems on my server with the MS than with Linux. But my opinion is based on personal experiences that cost me a lot of time and money.

When it comes to programs, well I use both. The only thing that I have to be aware of is if the open source program can assist is the exposure of an issue within closed source areas.

For the most part I have found that open source programs ran on closed source OS become more secure. Yes they are harder to set up but they are also harder to mess with after the fact.Wink