Gossamer Forum
Home : General : Chit Chat :

Heathrow Airport

(Page 2 of 2)
> >
Quote Reply
Re: [Paul] Heathrow Airport In reply to
I'm off to London tomorrow with my dad, to help setup a computer network. I hope nothing happens Pirate

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Want to give me something back for my help? Please see my Amazon Wish List
GLinks ULTRA Package | GLinks ULTRA Package PRO
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
Well you have to be smart about your surroundings, i.e., have situational awareness. But after a while it comes down to healthy cynicism Smile

Cold War babies, like me, still remember the old "duck and cover" drills, and the "how to survive a nuclear war" films we were shown in grade school. Like that would have done much good!

After I went into the service and took NBC (Nuclear-Biological-Chemical) warfare classes - I pretty much decided I didn't want to be around for any of that mess.

I have my hurricane survival kit, which is very much a reality here, and am not too worried about anything more serious than that. If it happens, it happens. I'll crank up my stereo, go BBQ on the grill, and watch the sunset.

Last edited by:

ArmyAirForces: Feb 12, 2003, 10:15 AM
Quote Reply
Re: [ArmyAirForces] Heathrow Airport In reply to
Yes it is a good thing indeed. I was on the phone to my grandmother earilier and she was so upset seeing all these tanks on the news on our own soil, it just brought back one too many painful memories.

I find it distressing that we have voted in such a dictative control freak as our leader. He scares the hell out of me, way more than Bin Laden and Bush put together. I can only wish for an election tomorrow for the UK public to vote out the monster we helped to create.

- wil
Quote Reply
Re: [Andy] Heathrow Airport In reply to
Hi Andy

Both my sister and my mother are living and working in central London at the moment. Doesn't really scare me, though. I mean, if it's going to happen -- it's going to happen. I don't think being in London, Manchester, Bristol, Cardiff, Glasgow or anywhere else will help you.

I wish this whole Euro thing would get a move along, so I could travel to Finland or Sweden and work freely over there and live freely over there without fear of an evil dictator acting as our prime minister.

- wil
Quote Reply
Speaking of dirty bombs...there has been threats of these exploding in the USA as well in the near future.

This stuff really sucks...they are heightening security at the Denver International Airport (as well as probably most other airports in the USA)...and I have to pick up a family member today at the airport...going to park away from the airport and take a shuttle bus in...they are checking cars three times around the airport...don't want to deal with the hassles.
========================================
Buh Bye!

Cheers,
Me
Quote Reply
Re: [Wil] Heathrow Airport In reply to
Wil,

The tanks were already on British soil. Now they've just moved out of their bases and into populated areas. They're not there to oppress you.

Why would you say that the PM is a dictative control freak for attempting to protect the population he was elected to serve?
Quote Reply
Because as a direct results of *his* actions and *his* position in support (think: puppet) the "president" of the United States that we are in a position where we must defend ourselves.

Those tanks would still be in their barracks if Blair would only listen to the majority of those who elected him in. Democracy? Yeah, right.

- wil
Quote Reply
The UK was a target before 9-11-01. You're not under threat because you're an ally, you're under threat because you're a western democracy.

From this side of the pond, we applaud Mr. Blair's leadership and certainly don't see him as any sort of puppet.

If you think hiding your head in the sand against the threats this world brings is a viable option then more power to you....but at least there are others willing to protect you.
Quote Reply
I support the Prime Minister.

There will always be people who don't and those who do, but at the end of the day he's never going to be able to please everyone.

I guarantee if he did sweet FA and then we were attacked by terrorists then his ass would be grass.

I think being seen to take action is a better decision than doing nothing, especially due the the very real threat.

Last edited by:

Paul: Feb 12, 2003, 12:17 PM
Quote Reply
Quote:
. If it happens, it happens. I'll crank up my stereo, go BBQ on the grill, and watch the sunset.

I'm there. (Margarita in hand). Drive over to Austin & I'll marinade some rib-eye's.

They were saying to duct tape your windows & doors and have 3 days supply of food & water on hand. If anything happens I don't think 3 days will be enough.

{{||}}
..\ /
...\/
~~~~~ Boom! Pirate

Last edited by:

Watts: Feb 12, 2003, 1:24 PM
Quote Reply
Re: [Watts] Heathrow Airport In reply to
You know I sat down and reviewed my basic disaster kit and looked at what it would take to setup a clean room, etc.

Decided it was too big a pain in the butt to do the entire house (too many windows). You'd want access to a bathroom, area to prepare food, and an area to sleep.

So now how many feet of plastic am I looking at? A lot still. Hell, if I'm going to do that, why not have some sort of positive air pressure system. Crap, how am I going to refill the generator if we lose power and not risk exposure?

Screw all that, I'm just going to BBQ and get a good night's sleep! Smile
Quote Reply
Yes. And "it" will always be a target as long as it supports left wing extremist views such as Bush's. I know you applaud Blair. He's the only one in Europe to stand up for you, and good luck with it.

- wil
Quote Reply
The leaders of Spain, Italy, Portugal, Hungary, the Czech Republic, Poland and Denmark all signed a letter supporting the fight against terrorism and the despot in Iraq. Others have come out since with their own letters.

16 of the 19 NATO countries oppose the minority view of France, Germany, and Belgium.

With our without European support, the right thing will be done.

Last edited by:

ArmyAirForces: Feb 12, 2003, 6:28 PM
Quote Reply
Quote:
He's the only one in Europe to stand up for you

Heh some people need to do their research.
Quote Reply
Heathrow and Luton (I think) airports were just shut after a terrorist scare Unsure

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
I didn't hear about that. I knew two people were arrested. I'm going to peek at the news...
Quote Reply
I can't see anything on the major news channels about any closures.

There is breaking news that someone was arrested at Gatwick with a hand grenade though.
Quote Reply
Still nothing on it at the main news pages Unsure

I heard it twice on the radio....unless I'm going mad, and they were not even talking about it Crazy

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Quote Reply
Ok it seems Heathrow is still open but the north terminal at Gatwick is closed.
Quote Reply
Hmmm, Blair's position sort of sounds like a WWI or WWII thingy. Smart to nail the buggers before they nail you.

However I still don't like Bush's saber rattling.

openoffice + gimp + sketch ... Smile
> >