Gossamer Forum
Home : General : Chit Chat :

Grrrrrr

Quote Reply
Grrrrrr
I really hate stuff like this.

A customer places an order and I get confirmation from PayPal
I get an email within about 10 hours from the client hoping for a reply.
I reply.
I get an email from the client who is getting angry saying they have just obviously wasted x dollars
I reply again.
I then realise the email address they gave me is bouncing.

What on earth can I do?

I guarantee I'll get more emails from the person telling me I'm stealing their money and they are going to contact paypal etc....

GRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

Last edited by:

Paul: Oct 9, 2002, 3:17 AM
Quote Reply
Re: [Paul] Grrrrrr In reply to
Why is the email bouncing? Dead email? Mailbox full? I've had this happen quite a few times...and I also know Ian did, as he posted a few public threads about it in the LSQL forums...

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Want to give me something back for my help? Please see my Amazon Wish List
GLinks ULTRA Package | GLinks ULTRA Package PRO
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
Re: [Andy] Grrrrrr In reply to
Connected to 65.54.252.230 but sender was rejected.
Remote host said: 554 Transaction failed

Only hotmail gives me this trouble.
Quote Reply
I know Hotmail was having troubles with a few of their servers accepting mail last week. My ISP made an announcement about it. I'll dig it out.

- wil
Quote Reply
Re: [Wil] Grrrrrr In reply to
Intermittent Hotmail problems (Informational)
Posted: Sep 24th, 2002 - 10:14:27 AM PST (14 days 17 hours ago)

Some customers are noticing problems sending mail to users at Hotmail.This problem only seems to be affecting some of their (many) backendmachines, and so it's intermittent / inconsistent. The problem does notappear to be on our side, but we realize this is causing problems formanyof our customers. You may wish to try resending your message - thefailures only happen some of the time.We are in contact with Hotmail's engineers, and we'll let you know if wereceive any further information.

- wil
Quote Reply
Ah, yes, Hotmail again....

A while back, Hotmail was bouncing my mail, too.

I had to contact their tech support directly to get my domain off of their "list"

They fixed the bugger, and all has been fine since (knock on wood).

So, contact their tech guys to see if they can resolve things.

-----

Another thing to add is to ask customers for a backup email addy. I think I'm gonna do that, too.

Cheerio! Smile

------------------------------------------

Last edited by:

DogTags: Oct 9, 2002, 4:41 AM
Quote Reply
Re: [Wil] Grrrrrr In reply to
I thought the dreamhost problem was just related to their servers communicating?

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Want to give me something back for my help? Please see my Amazon Wish List
GLinks ULTRA Package | GLinks ULTRA Package PRO
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
Re: [DogTags] Grrrrrr In reply to
Do you know of an email address to use?.....I can only find abuse and sales at their site.
Quote Reply
Don't you ask for their snail mail address and/or telephone contact?

- wil
Quote Reply
Hmmmmmm......that's all I can find, too.

It was ages ago that I had the prob with Hotmail....I'll crank up my old computer to see if there is still a reference on it, but I think the problem pre-dates even that computer.

Ummm.....what the heck, why not just send a note to the sales people to get the ball rolling. They might be able to tell you the right contact.

It makes me wonder how they differentiate between a spammer and a glitch in their system...

If I find anything else, I'll let you know. Keep us posted.
-------------------------

Another thing would be to disallow the use of Hotmail addresses on your site. Here's a nifty little validator that can block designated email domains. I had to use this way back when I had the Hotmail prob:

http://www.wsabstract.com/...cript2/acheck2.shtml

Very nice, indeed!

HTH Smile

Quote Reply
Phone them:

Quote:
Help us troubleshoot outages with your Hotmail Service by calling (1)(650)964-7200, 9am - 6pm Pacific Time Monday - Friday.

Ivan
-----
Iyengar Yoga Resources / GT Plugins
Quote Reply
Thanks, I've emailed sales...hehe

Now I just have to hope they hurry up before this guy starts getting nasty :)
Quote Reply
You aren't going to believe this.

Hi. This is the qmail-send program at 127.0.0.1.
I'm afraid I wasn't able to deliver your message to the following addresses.
This is a permanent error; I've given up. Sorry it didn't work out.

<sales@hotmail.com>:
Connected to 65.54.254.145 but sender was rejected.
Remote host said: 554 Transaction failed
Quote Reply
Contact their abuse team. Or use a different email address or domain to contact them. You look like you're blacklisted.

- wil
Quote Reply
You might even post a note on your web site telling folks that Hotmail has been troublesome lately and to reach you using a different email address.

Perhaps your customer will find this on your site and understand what is going on.

You could say something like:

"We have not been able to respond to some of our customers lately who are using Hotmail email addresses. Please contact us again using a different email address." Smile

Last edited by:

DogTags: Oct 9, 2002, 7:01 AM
Quote Reply
If you can't beat em, join em. Sign up for a hotmail account yourself and mail your customer from that account.

Cheers,

Alex
--
Gossamer Threads Inc.
Quote Reply
Re: [Alex] Grrrrrr In reply to
Yep... Alex is right. Went through the exact same thing with an e-bay purchase a while back. In the future you should ask for a phone number (if you don't already). However if I were the customer I'd give you the number to my phone line that is plugged into my burglar alarm (it doesn't ring) so that wouldn't work either. Tongue
Quote Reply
Re: [Alex] Grrrrrr In reply to
Thanks guys, I've managed to contact him. One of my emails got through and he's given me alternative contact details.

Last edited by:

Paul: Oct 9, 2002, 1:40 PM
Quote Reply
I wish you'd email me back... Wink I've been trying to get in touch with you for a while...

Sean
Quote Reply
Re: [SeanP] Grrrrrr In reply to
Mmm sorry ;(

I should stop visiting the forum so much because my inbox just gets swomped with:

"Gossamer Forum - Reply to your post"

or

"Gossamer Forum - Private Message Received"

The answer to your email is yes and yes.

I'll send you a reply today.
Quote Reply
This same thing happened to me recently, so I posted a message on my forum. This way they can at least see I am trying to contact them.

We got in contact in the end.

http://www.iuni.com/...tware/web/index.html
Links Plugins