Gossamer Forum
Home : General : Chit Chat :

Finally

(Page 1 of 2)
> >
Quote Reply
Finally
Ugh, I'm so behind, but hey. I just bought a digital camera. I think it is about 2MP - is that going to be ok?

I'm not looking for amazing quality pictures, just something decent.
Quote Reply
Re: [Paul] Finally In reply to
In Reply To:
Ugh, I'm so behind, but hey. I just bought a digital camera. I think it is about 2MP - is that going to be ok?

I'm not looking for amazing quality pictures, just something decent.

What are you wanting to do with the camera? Photos on the web, 4x6 inch or larger print photos? Oh, what kind of budget?

Couple years ago when 1MP still cameras were outrageously priced, I purchased a Sony Digital 8 video camera. It stored 1MP still images on the Sony memory stick and had a 24:1 zoom. I have a Canon 35mm SLR for nice/big pictures and needed a digital for internet stuff. It will take something like 1200x800 500kb jpg images, which is huge for most internet stuff.

It has been a good purchase and having the 24:1 zoom is almost a neccessity. A wide range zoom is very useful in getting the picture set up like you want.
--
Rob

SW Montana's Online Community
Modular Model Railroading
Quote Reply
Re: [BeaverheadRiver] Finally In reply to
Quote:
What are you wanting to do with the camera? Photos on the web, 4x6 inch or larger print photos?

Just web stuff mainly, nothing fancy.

Quote:
Oh, what kind of budget?

It's already ordered =)
Quote Reply
A 2 megapixel camera should be more than enough. Does it have a fixed or zoom lense?
--
Rob

Quote Reply
That's good to hear. I kept seeing cameras up to 5MP and thought maybe I'd picked a crappy one.

I'm a bit dense when it comes to electrical gadgets, I generally just pick the item within my price range and that seems to do what I want Wink

The one I picked got all 5 star reviews at Amazon.co.uk....

http://www.amazon.co.uk/.../026-1172328-4675657
Quote Reply
Very nice reasonably priced camera. Played with one over Christmas. I think you will be very happy with the purchase.

The lens cover is a nice feature. Sometimes you think the cover is in the full locked open position and it is only to the lock, so the camera won't work. Just have to slide it all the way open.
--
Rob

Last edited by:

BeaverheadRiver: Apr 8, 2003, 9:37 AM
Quote Reply
The camera I bought has 3.1 megapixels, but I rarely use more than the 1270 x 700 size (about 900K) and often just shot 640x480. So No, 2 mega-pixels will do you very well IMO.
Quote Reply
Re: [joematt] Finally In reply to
Cool thanks!

You'll know when it has arrived...the forum will be bombarded with pictures Wink
Quote Reply
Yay =)

All taken this morning...
Quote Reply
Good quality Paul - nice car too :-)

Klaus

http://www.ameinfo.com
Quote Reply
Paul, just a tip...but for photos use JPG. For line art and text, use GIF.

Better compression and better image quality. Have fun with the camera.
Quote Reply
Re: [klauslovgreen] Finally In reply to
Hehe, its a nice day today so I thought I'd bring out the digi cam. Going to play golf in a wihle so I may have some more pics later Wink

Don't worry it's the last car pic I'll post Blush

Last edited by:

Paul: Apr 16, 2003, 6:50 AM
Quote Reply
I'm pleased with the results.

Phew it was a scorcher today =)
Quote Reply
OMG... I expected it to be all cloudy, wet & cold. I guess it's safe to say "spring has sprung" in your neck of the woods.
Quote Reply
Re: [Watts] Finally In reply to
It's an unexpected heat wave. Apparently the hottest temperature ever recorded at this time of the year - 25 degrees.

We aren't used to the heat so it was most certainly a case of "betty swollocks" out on the golf course!
Quote Reply
As JPGs, those attachments would easily be half the file size of those GIFs, and have better image quality.

Otherwise, looks like a nice day to be out on the links.

And you can't seriously talk about heat until it gets over 35 C Tongue

Last edited by:

ArmyAirForces: Apr 16, 2003, 11:30 AM
Quote Reply
Re: [ArmyAirForces] Finally In reply to
Quote:
As JPGs, those attachments would easily be half the file size of those GIFs,

I agree the quality would be better but jpegs are almost always larger. I just converted one of those attachments to jpg and it was ovre 500kb.
Quote Reply
Hmmm, you're doing something wrong then I suspect. If you select about 60% of the original image quality, or in other words a 40% compression setting - you should be right in the target area.

If your image program has an optimal compression, or a "save for web", setting go with that. You should expect to end up in the 130 to 170k size range for a good JPG at that 800 x 600 size.

Doesn't matter to me, but anybody you end up mailing those to with a dial-up connection will be grateful.

..and that's my .02 bits on image format for the day. Cool

Last edited by:

ArmyAirForces: Apr 16, 2003, 1:09 PM
Quote Reply
Yeah I chose 100% quality for the jpeg - I always thought jpegs were generally larger than gifs...mmm Cool

Save for web only lets me save as gif with Photoshop.
Quote Reply
Well I use photoshop on a daily basis so can help you there. PS 6.5 and 7 have a "save for web" utility that is terrific for exporting images. Much better than just using the "save as" function.

Upon export you should see a page like the one attached. Although my sample image is black and white, it's an 800 x 600 image originally at 1.4mb and upon compression to JPG, with no image quality lost, ends up just over 100k.

If you have an older version of PS, the "save as" function and 60% of image quality will work just fine. At 100% you're seeing no appreciable compression and no file size savings.

EDIT: and I used a PNG here since I was mixing photographic and program screen elements. PNG is a good format, but a little orphaned I'm afraid.

Last edited by:

ArmyAirForces: Apr 16, 2003, 1:36 PM
Quote Reply
Ah yeah I forgot that combobox was there letting me change to jpeg.

I use Photoshop 7 FWIW.

I'll have a play around, thanks.
Quote Reply
You could also reduce the image size a bit :-)

Klaus

http://www.ameinfo.com
Quote Reply
Quote:
It's an unexpected heat wave. Apparently the hottest temperature ever recorded at this time of the year - 25 degrees.
Poor baby having to put up with that heat. I have my air conditioner set at 25 degrees.
Try 42 degrees under shade 45 degrees direct sun, thats how hot it gets here some times. If you pick up the soap and it melts in your hand, well then you know it's hot.

Bob
http://totallyfreeads.com.au
Quote Reply
Re: [lanerj] Finally In reply to
You're my hero Wink

How about we flip it around, so if you came here, it would be 25 degrees and I'd be having fun in the sun in my t-shirt and shorts and you'd be all chilly in a sweatshirt, like a poor baby Cool
Quote Reply
Sounds good, can you pay for the tickets i'm a little short this month. Pay you back, honest.

Bob
http://totallyfreeads.com.au
> >