Gossamer Forum
Home : General : Chit Chat :

"Too Much Trouble"

(Page 2 of 2)
> >
Quote Reply
Re: [Paul] "Too Much Trouble" In reply to
Where did I state that "banning users" is unfair? You are either misunderstanding what I have stated or twisting my words. Banning users is legitimate for many reasons and I agree with the feature.

WHERE did I state that I was against banning users?

Please enlighten me...Tongue
========================================
Buh Bye!

Cheers,
Me
Quote Reply
Re: [Stealth] "Too Much Trouble" In reply to
Hi Stealth...

So you are saying that you would send an email out to a NON validated user over and over again even if it is sending you bad return notifications until you see that the bad return is there. Then you would delete the NON validated user with the bad email right?

What percentage of you NON validated users give you a bad address?

What percentage of them have an equipment failure?

What percentage just don't care to be on your system?

Just wondering!Smile

Last edited by:

Teambldr: Jul 13, 2002, 8:26 PM
Quote Reply
Re: [Teambldr] "Too Much Trouble" In reply to
1) Yes, I send out emails to users FIVE times before deleting the record (unless I see that it is a bad email address, which I will delete outright).

Average # of non-validated users per day: 5
Average # of new users per day: 10

2) Percentage of bad email addresses: less than 5%

3) Percentage of "equipment failure": less than 10%

4) Percentage of "non care users": difficult to answer, what do you mean?
Buh Bye!

Cheers,
Me
Quote Reply
So what you are telling me is that in any given month you would have the following:

150 Non validated users of which:

7.5 of them would have a bad return
15 would have equipment issues
127.5 of them would just not care to be on your system then.

Hmmmm....Interesting!

Thanks for the informationSmile
Quote Reply
Uh...I think your calculations are bit off...especially with the "not care" stat. I forgot to mention that of the average of 5 non-validated users, about 3 on average do end up validating themselves after being sent the reminder message.

Thus only an average of 2 non-validated users would be deleted.

Where do you get 127.5 users not caring to be in my system? Huh? I'd be interested in knowing how you came up with that number!
Buh Bye!

Cheers,
Me
Quote Reply
Hi Stealth,

No problem...I will explain.
(and take into effect the non validated that do validate late)

150 Non validated user per month (based on 5 non validated per day)
15 would be equipment issues (based on 10%)
7.5 would be bad returns (based on 5%)
76.5 would validate after the fact (new data)
51 would be the remainder that don't care to use your site (with the new data)

This is very different from mine as I have over 90% with bad returns (of non validated), I have no clue as per equipment issues as they were never validated (so there is no way I could know unless each one emailed me seperately), and any residual after that is up in the air as per why they didn't validate. So I can only confirm the bad returns as being what they really are.

That is a good question, how did you know that 10% or 15 users had equipment issues? Did they all email you?

Hmmmm....Interesting!
Quote Reply
Okay...thanks for explaining. One thing that I didn't mention was that I "ban" about 30 users per month with invalid or exceed limit email accounts (returned mail). The main problem is that a majority of my site visitors are high school and college students (based on domains and also online surveys and user feedback) and as you may know, these populations are highly transitory, so their email addresses change quite often and they do not update their online profiles with different web sites.

And regarding the "equipment trouble", yes, they email me to "re-activate" their account since when they try to login, they can't and the reported error message I receive from their mail server is posted for them. And I have a column that tracks whether the account has been "re-activated" with a status report correlated with it.
Buh Bye!

Cheers,
Me
Quote Reply
Quote:
Where did I state that "banning users" is unfair? You are either misunderstanding what I have stated or twisting my words. Banning users is legitimate for many reasons and I agree with the feature.

WHERE did I state that I was against banning users?

Please enlighten me...

I was actually saying that you gave a good reason as to why you shouldn't be banning someone, ie "a full mailbox" in my opinion is not a good enough reason to ban a user.

Last edited by:

Paul: Jul 14, 2002, 2:42 AM
Quote Reply
Paul,

The BAN is temporary. When the person with a faulty email address tries to login, they are reminded that their email address is no longer valid and for certain features in my web site, a valid email address is necessary, thus, to avoid receiving more bounced emails from that person, their "subscription" status is set to NO and they are temporarily banned.

Got it?
Buh Bye!

Cheers,
Me
Quote Reply
Sure have :) ....your original post was just a little ambiguous:

Quote:
Well, for already registered or validated users whose email addresses become "bogus", then they are BANNED

That didn't sound like a temporary ban :)
Quote Reply
Well, sorry for the confusion. Let me re-state for the record...

"Current or registered users whose email addresses become invalid are TEMPORARILY/SHORT-TERM WISE/LIMITED MANNER BANNED from logging in BECAUSE many features in my site are dependent on valid email addresses."

Clear enough for ya?
Buh Bye!

Cheers,
Me
> >