Gossamer Forum
Home : General : Chit Chat :

mmm... Mozilla 0.9.8

(Page 1 of 3)
> >

mmm... Mozilla 0.9.8
Yep, it's out. Dunno if it's just pyschological, but it seems faster (still probably as slow as crap on my crappy work computer though Unsure). I really need to reinstall, so I can compile Mozilla + Galeon on there.

Adrian

Re: [brewt] mmm... Mozilla 0.9.8 In reply to
Was that a hint for the big boss to buy you a new machine? ;-)

- wil

Re: [Wil] mmm... Mozilla 0.9.8 In reply to
Not really. My system works for coding, just that with apps like Mozilla it is a little sluggish. Of course I wouldn't mind a new box Smile.

Adrian

Can you do me a favor and go to http://www.wiredon.net and tell me if the design looks semi-decent with mozilla.

QooQ keeps saying that the text overlaps the tables but it seems ok in IE and NS for me so maybe it is a mac thing but I just need a few people to check.

Last edited by:

RedRum: Feb 5, 2002, 3:04 AM

Re: [RedRum] mmm... Mozilla 0.9.8 In reply to
New Design looks good in i.e.6 - Nice work.
Cheers,
Michael Bray

Re: [Michael_Bray] mmm... Mozilla 0.9.8 In reply to
Thanks.

Im particularly pleased with the simple bit of JS I wrote that removes the right hand table if you switch resolutions to less than 1024x768 :)

It was good in IE and then it screwed up in Netscape due to a table width I'd set in the css so I removed that so the table could stretch and it started working fine in IE and NS, but then QooQ took some screen shots from his mac (with both IE and NS) and it looked a total mess.

Go figure.

Last edited by:

RedRum: Feb 5, 2002, 3:30 AM

It looks just the same as in IE with Mozilla .9.7.

Nice design - a great improvement.

The only niggling thing I've got about it is the main logo - "wiredon web hosting". The text is far too light and doesn't stand out on the background. I think black text on that background would work much better to bold it up a little. Oh, and you should sort out the php and plesk images, they look a bit jaggered like you've stretched them or something.

Cheers

- wil

Yeah, the images are just slightly different sizes but I wanted a uniform size and unfortunately it has squidged them a bit :(

The php image was pretty poor quality to begin with but there aren't any decent ones to choose from here at least:

http://www.php.net/download-logos.php

....Yeah, the title was something i put together fairly quickly and QooQ also said it was a little bland....I started to re-do it yesterday but got side-tracked. Will have a play now.

Oooh...looks like it could be nice, but IE 5 seems to screw it up for me. See Attachment. Very screwed up Tongue Not sure if you are just working on it, or if it is generally screwed in IE 5 (5.00.2)

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Want to give me something back for my help? Please see my Amazon Wish List
GLinks ULTRA Package | GLinks ULTRA Package PRO
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!

Re: [AndyNewby] mmm... Mozilla 0.9.8 In reply to
Interesting attachment :)

Whoops Blush Forgot to attach. Now for some reason when i try to attach it wont let me (exceeds 300kb) Frown I'll see if I can find something on this computer that will let me set it as a jpg or something, and noa a bmp Wink

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!

How about this one I just mocked up?

- wil

Ok, much better... Tongue Have a look at it. I couldnt get the whole page screen-shot cos the page went down about 3 pages worth Wink

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk

Yeah thanks, I've uploaded it (had to remove the black border though).

The actual quality image quality is still pants though :(

Ah ok, that means it isn't fitting in your screen and just wrapping lines.

What size monitor and resolution do you use?

It is setup to fit properly with 17" and 1024x768 and 800x600 but as I don't have access to a smaller monitor I can't test.

Can you try now Andy and see if it fits properly.

Hi. I can't find out what resolution I'm at (I'm at collage, and that feature is disabled to stop hackers/people messing with the computers). I would guess its 800x600. As for monitor size, I'm using a 15" (14" view). Its still screwed btw. Not quite as bad though. I did have it where there was the top logo, then a pages worth of blank space, then the menu and then the main section; but now it doesn't have the huge white space at the top Smile Getting there.

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk

Ugh, theres no way im gonna get it to work with a 14" monitor at 800x600 without it looking totally sparse on 19" using 1024x768 or higher

Thats why I do my designs on 800x600 (screw anything lower Tongue). About 60% of my visitors use 800x600, and about 3% are lower than that. Just not really worth the time and effort. Maybe you should just have a cgi script so you can do a check on the resolution and then call something like d=1 or d=2 depending on the screen resolution. Its a long way to do it, but if you wanna keep all of your customers/potential customers it will probably be the best way Wink (unless you can work out some more javascript).

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk

I know your site is still in development, but don't forget to add the vital keywords and description meta tags Tongue I've done it before where I've designed the whole site, then realised I didn't add 'em and had to go through each page again to add them all Frown

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk

>>I've designed the whole site, then realised I didn't add 'em and had to go through each page again to add them all <<

I guess its a good job I've used includes for menus, css and headers then :)

Thanks for reminding me though.

Im still getting a few people saying the text is overlapping the tables :(

Last edited by:

RedRum: Feb 5, 2002, 7:17 AM

Displays fine in Mozilla (Linux), but your JS doesn't work (it removes the right hand table regardless).

Adrian

>>
but your JS doesn't work (it removes the right hand table regardless).
<<

It does (well did) but I deactivated it so the logos dont show at all due to display problems with smaller monitors.

Last edited by:

RedRum: Feb 5, 2002, 2:41 PM

I like the look of your new site. Smile

I took a look around and tried to check our your demo of the PLESK control panel and got the following error:

Tunnel or SSL Forbidden

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Description: 8443 is not an allowed port for Tunnel or SSL connections

Using IE 6.0.26

I don't know what this means, can someone enlighten me?

I could get it to work using NS. The reason I ask is that I am currently testing a VPS that uses Ensim control panel and I get the same error using IE. I talked to the host's support people and they didn't know. I have logged in using the same version of IE on another machine, so it must be a setting I have but I can't figure it out. I even deleted and reinstalled IE6 on my machine and I still get the same error message.

Crazy

Regards-

With netscape at 640x480 on a 15" mon it looks fine.
It just screws up in MIE 5.
Funny, it's usually the other way around.

Bob
http://totallyfreeads.com
> >