Gossamer Forum
Home : General : Chit Chat :

UK out France still in

Quote Reply
UK out France still in
Hi,

I'm listening to the sounds of thousands that have taken to the streets, shouting and blowing their horns !!

Yes well I'm not in the UK because they just lost to Portugal, I'm in France as you may have guessed. Oh and I'm talking about football or what is sometimes referred to as soccer !

Well it's nice for one of my favorite countries to have got through to the next step. It will be the first World Cup semi final with only european teams since 1982 !

Have a nice week-end !

John
Significant Media
Quote Reply
Re: [Jag] UK out France still in In reply to
I (like many) was quite surprised that Brazil was knocked out. At the onset, I figured Brazil versus Germany in the final match, with Brazil taking it 2-1. Glad I didn't make that bet =) Maybe one day Canada will be back in it:

Has Canada ever qualified for the World Cup?
Once. The Canadians lost three straight games in the 1986 tournament in Mexico, and went home without scoring a goal. The 1,000-to-1 longshots scored a significant moral victory against France, holding the legendary Michel Platini and his teammates scoreless until the 79th minute. After his side's 1-0 win, Platini confessed, "We were doubting ourselves a bit after the first half. We knew that Canada had nothing to lose." He was right; Canada proceeded to lose 2-0 to both Hungary and the USSR. Twenty years later, the match with France remains our sole World Cup highlight.
...from CBC Sports

At least we got the FIFA U-20 World Cup in 2007 =)

----
Cheers,

Dan
Founder and CEO

LionsGate Creative
GoodPassRobot
Magelln
Quote Reply
Re: [dan] UK out France still in In reply to
Hi Dan,

Thanks for pointing out that article, it was really interesting.

That was pretty impressive reading about the Canadian men's under 20 team beating Brazil. Hey anybody beating Brazil is impressive, it's just that the Brazilians don't like it of course but they have such good players that everybody dreams about beating them...

The French have a soft spot for Canada in general and there have been several documentaries on national TV about Canada and Quebec lately as well. The documentaries brought out the impressive way that Canada curved spending but also pointed out this may have backfired in areas like health with long waiting lists at hospitals like in the UK...

I didn't know Nelly Furtado was Canadian. I really like Loreena Mckennitt but then I don't know the nationalities of a lot of singers so I'm not really a reference ;)

Cheers,

John
Significant Media
Quote Reply
There might be hope for the Canadian Men's Soccer. But, I wouldn't place a bet on it unless the odds were really stacked =)

Actually I have heard the opposite from Canadian media outlets. They say that Canada goes largely unnoticed in France - except Quebec, of course. When quizzed, most French cannot recall anything of significant value about Canada. But then, Canada is not forefront on the World stage to the average person. To be honest, although we are bilingual (English / French) with a history split almost equally between English and French colonialism, I have never felt a deep connection between Canada and France. Although with that said, I have always been fond with France, and my girlfriend and I are considering moving to the south of France - but immigration would be a bitch for me as I'm not bilingual, and I'm terrible with languages (but good for my gf).

Yep, Nelly is from Victoria - across from us in Vancouver, on Vancouver Island. There's also Diana Krall from Nanaimo (up island of Victoria) - she's one of my fav female singers and singers overall.

At any rate, I now take France and Germany in the final. I'm rooting for France =) A pure European final. Don't happen often ;)

----
Cheers,

Dan
Founder and CEO

LionsGate Creative
GoodPassRobot
Magelln
Quote Reply
Hi Dan,

I think you'll find that some villages in several areas of France have two or three English speaking families but I understand the whole idea of learning the lingo. I know that I moved to France when I was 12 and the idea of learning another language now say Spanish, even though I'd love to speak it, is pretty daunting !

From what I have heard it is pretty cold in Canada so it would be a bit of a change the south of France !

John
Significant Media
Quote Reply
Quote:
Canada is pretty cold

=) Bear in mind that Canada is the second largest country ;) The climate can range dramatically - along north-south and west-east axis. In Vancouver, we very rarely see snow (white xmas once every ~10-11 years - Bing Crosby is rolling in his grave). In one year, the local ski mountains did not see an inch of snow in February - cannot recall the year. Oh boy, 2010 Winter Olympics ;) But we do get more than our fair share of rain here in Vancouver. But yeah, still far from the typical weather in southern France - up my gf's alley, but I tend to like it cooler. But, that's what air conditioners are for ;)

----
Cheers,

Dan
Founder and CEO

LionsGate Creative
GoodPassRobot
Magelln
Quote Reply
Hi Dan,

Well you see that is my bad way of stereo-typing a whole country through ignorance so you'll have to forgive me for that comment ;)

It is true that I pretty much had that impression that it was damn cold all over Canada and that the hot weather was not really a fixture. So is Vancouver like the 'South of France' region in Canada for the rest of Canada, ie the region with the best weather in the country ?

John
Significant Media
Quote Reply
Weather varies so much here, hard to say. The British Columbia interior (e.g., Kamloops) has the best weather I'd say - along with the praries and Ontario. But Vancouver has the mildest winters compared to the rest of Canada. But in summer, the temperatures across Canada (and including the northern territories) is usually in the mid-20's / high 20's to the 30s. Generally warmer away from the oceans. It's one reason we have soooo many forest fires - even occaisonly ones in Winter (albeit smaller non-interface fires that are more easily contained than summer fires). Our Mars water bombers are highly sought after by other countries (like the US) when they run into severe forest fires.

Out of curiosity, what is winter climate like in southern France - along the Atlantic or Mediterranean (I need to be by the ocean)?

----
Cheers,

Dan
Founder and CEO

LionsGate Creative
GoodPassRobot
Magelln
Quote Reply
Hi,

I have a friend who works in Cannes I'll ask him. Although he's always saying it's bad weather when he comes up here. I'm in the East of France, not far from Switzerland and the weather here is very hot in Summer and very cold in winter. The coldest place in France is between here and Switzerland (a lot closer to Switzerland though) ;).

I'll drop my friend an email and get back to you on that one but it is generally warm but not enough for you to go swimming in Winter though LOL ;)

John
Significant Media
Quote Reply
East France sounds perfect =) More like my cup of tea, but I need to be near the salty water. Thanks, let me know what your friend says =)

----
Cheers,

Dan
Founder and CEO

LionsGate Creative
GoodPassRobot
Magelln
Quote Reply
Hi Dan

Sorry I got held up a bit and had to call my mate without any email response from him. He was saying that in Aix-en-Provence for example it can get as low as -10 whereas at Cannes it will often only go as low as -3 while remaining pretty sunny and dry.

Hope this helps :)
Significant Media
Quote Reply
Not a problem =) Tad colder than here in winter... works for me ;). Thanks for the heads up! I guess now we have to rename this thread to UK out France out - too bad, my gf and I were rooting for France =(

----
Cheers,

Dan
Founder and CEO

LionsGate Creative
GoodPassRobot
Magelln