Gossamer Forum
Home : General : Chit Chat :

Reliable translation website?

Quote Reply
Reliable translation website?
Hi.. does anyone know of a good, quite accurate online translator? I need to translate from english => german, and vice versa.

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Want to give me something back for my help? Please see my Amazon Wish List
GLinks ULTRA Package | GLinks ULTRA Package PRO
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
Re: [Andy] Reliable translation website? In reply to
http://www.google.com/language_tools?hl=en

From what I know, they all use the same 'babelfish' backend.

- wil
Quote Reply
Re: [Wil] Reliable translation website? In reply to
Cool.. didn't know Goolge offered this service :) Seems to work great... Sly

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
I have had good luck with the babelfish translator. I think all of them work even better if you are familiar with the syntax of the target language

From Andy's example of translating english to german, if you know how sentences are structured in german, then construct the sentence the same way in english and then translate it. Do this and people will think you speak german.

Seems like german is has some particularly interesting sentence structures if you are english speaking. Stuff like: Throw your grandpa down the stairs his hat.
--
Rob

SW Montana's Online Community
Modular Model Railroading
Quote Reply
Re: [BeaverheadRiver] Reliable translation website? In reply to
Yeah, my friend, who speaks german/french/spanish, tried to translate the email for me. but it was quite complex structuring. The onine translator seemed to do quite well :)

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Quote Reply
A good way to test the quality of the translations from these on-line translation programmes is to:
  • translate a text in the source language (English?) to the translated language (French?)
  • translate the resulting text (French) back to the original source language (English)

decide then whether it is satisfactory for your project... in many cases it is not, particularly if you are in business.

Alba
Quote Reply
Re: [Alba] Reliable translation website? In reply to
Yeah, my translation was simply to reply to a customers email. I translated his German email, into English, and then my reply (in English) into German.

I made a sale...so I think it was a good enough translation :)

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Quote Reply
Ah! but your products sell themselves...

Alba
Quote Reply
Re: [Alba] Reliable translation website? In reply to
Quote:
Ah! but your products sell themselves...

Laugh .. not when my demo page wasn't working again :p (fixed it up this morning.. the database.def file managed to get deleted...ack!).

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk