Gossamer Forum
Home : General : Chit Chat :

Heathrow Airport

(Page 1 of 2)
> >
Quote Reply
Heathrow Airport
Hmm this is a little worrying.

1450 police/army personnel have arrived at heathrow this morning with tanks and all sorts to patrol the airport due to suspicions of an al-qaida attack at the end of the muslim holiday Eed in a few days.
Quote Reply
Re: [Paul] Heathrow Airport In reply to
Well, its better than not being prepared Smile

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Want to give me something back for my help? Please see my Amazon Wish List
GLinks ULTRA Package | GLinks ULTRA Package PRO
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
Re: [Andy] Heathrow Airport In reply to
I can't really see how a load of tanks actually are preventative?

If I'm a suicide bomber, I can drive up to the airport, walk in like every other passenger and nuke a terminal before one of those tanks could start it's engine.
Quote Reply
Here's the artical on BBC on this...
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/2747677.stm

Philip
------------------
Limecat is not pleased.
Quote Reply
I heard about that on the radio on my way to work this morning. The USA is on "orange status" (second most critical) for terrorist alerts. I believe that the concern is related to the Muslim Meca pilgrimage that is taking place this week as a possible opportunity for attacks.
========================================
Buh Bye!

Cheers,
Me
Quote Reply
Part of security is the psychological aspect, both for the potential terrorist and for the public you're trying to protect. A tank is a big "we're here" sign.

I don't think anybody will bother "nuking" an airport. They'd much rather have it detonate over central London (for maximum damage and casualties)...if they ever got their hands on such a weapon it would be a terrible day.

With the weapons they do have, they want to make as big an impact as possible. Using a shoulder fired missile to take down a plane load of people is unfortunately a lot of bang for the buck.

Keep your head down,
Quote Reply
Re: [ArmyAirForces] Heathrow Airport In reply to
Quote:
Part of security is the psychological aspect, both for the potential terrorist and for the public you're trying to protect. A tank is a big "we're here" sign.

If the terrorists were bothered about the psychological aspect I don't think they would have carried weapons through an airport, hijacked several planes and ploughed them into three buildings.

Quote:

I don't think anybody will bother "nuking" an airport.

That is contradictory.

Last edited by:

Paul: Feb 11, 2003, 11:17 AM
Quote Reply
Quote:
If the terrorists were bothered about the psychological aspect I don't think they would have carried weapons through an airport, hijacked several planes and ploughed them into three buildings.

There was no such security in place when those events took place. Terrorist have to consider the security environment when they undertake their operations. They do want to succeed after all.

Visible security has both a deterrent effect as well as a public relations effect.
Quote Reply
>>
There was no such security in place when those events took place.
<<

It is an airport. Everyone knows airports have higher security.
Quote Reply
Security in domestic US airports prior to 9-11 was nothing like what Europe has had in place for several decades now. We simply didn't have a history of violent hijackings and there wasn't a need for the expense, or so they gambled. I've flown domestically and internationally literally all my life, the difference between the two systems prior to 9/11 was like night and day.

That light security environment was sadly ripe for exploitation.

Also keep in mind that a terrorist group need not breech the airport grounds itself, just be within a short radius of the active runway to employ a SA-7 or one of its many knock-offs.

Increased security at Heathrow and Gatwick will hopefully cause the terrorists to change their plans.
Quote Reply
Re: [] Heathrow Airport In reply to
This is a sad day.

I really ditest the fact that I now live in a country where armed troops patrol the streets. It's a sick image. This is nowhere to bring up children.

- wil
Quote Reply
Quote:

There were a couple of mentions about the boxcutters the hijackers used for 9-11. It does not appear they brought them through security, but that they were already on the plane. There was a 5th plane that had mechanical troubles and the flight was cancelled. Several of the terrorists were agitated over missing the flight and dissappeared when security was called. After the crashes, this plane was searched and the boxcutters found.
--
Rob

SW Montana's Online Community
Modular Model Railroading
Post deleted by Andy In reply to
Quote Reply
Are you sure it was 6 months Wink
Quote Reply
Erm, yeah Unsure

Sept 11th
Oct 11th
Nov 11th
Dec 11th
Jan 11th
Feb 11th

Doesn't that count 6 to you? Wink

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
You have two more guesses ;)
Quote Reply
Hey, never said my math was good :) 5? Tongue lol

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Quote Reply
Oh dear. One left.
Quote Reply
I'm not playing any more Frown LMAO!

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Quote Reply
Maybe this will refresh your memory. Obviously it was only a minor event so I can forgive you completely forgetting the date.

http://search.yahoo.com/...?p=september+11+2001
Quote Reply
OMG...total freak out! I thought we were in 2002 still...Laugh

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Quote Reply
Re: [Wil] Heathrow Airport In reply to
Code:
I really ditest the fact that I now live in a country where
armed troops patrol the streets. It's a sick image.
This is nowhere to bring up children.

Gosh, it's a good thing you weren't around in the 1940's. Somehow I suspect the children will get through it just fine, as long as there isn't some mega-terror event that wipes them out.

What is sick is that the levels of security are needed, not the security itself.

Last edited by:

ArmyAirForces: Feb 12, 2003, 8:52 AM
Quote Reply
I saw a report saying that a "dirty bomb" hitting the centre of London would cause deserted streets for years.

A little scary :(
Quote Reply
The good thing, if there can be such a thing, about a "dirty" bomb, is that the radiological material should only be spread by the radius of the conventional explosive effect (excluding some minor pick up by winds or unknowing persons/vehicles).

Explode the device on the ground (say in a vehicle) and in a densly constructed area, the effects will be considerably limited. So you figure they'd want to target wide open areas in London with lots of tourist and day traffic...but then you figure those are probably monitored fairly heavily.

It would be nasty, but I suspect a full scale clean-up operation might have some pretty good results. With that kind of bomb, we really are talking about "terror"-ism, and controlling the population afterwards could be a challenge.

My .02 cents,

Like I said before, keep your head down over there.

Last edited by:

ArmyAirForces: Feb 12, 2003, 10:03 AM
Quote Reply
I'm hoping I'm safe here in Manchester :(

Good job my sister is in NZ too for a few weeks although it will be a bit jittery when she gets home as she lives near the centre of London.

Last edited by:

Paul: Feb 12, 2003, 10:07 AM
> >