Gossamer Forum
Home : General : Chit Chat :

Blocking Adverts and/or Cookies

(Page 1 of 2)
> >
Quote Reply
Blocking Adverts and/or Cookies
Does anyone use this method to stop your browser downloading advertising banners and associated cookies? Seems a very good idea to me.

http://remember.mine.nu/

- wil
Quote Reply
Re: [Wil] Blocking Adverts and/or Cookies In reply to
May seem like a good idea, but that is exactly how people like me can goout of business. My sites rely mainly on adverts, and a little bit fromprogramming and paid installs. However, if too many people started blocking myadverts then it would have a crippling effect on my sites, and may cause me tohave to shut them down. Just remember that when installing any blocking softwareWink

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Want to give me something back for my help? Please see my Amazon Wish List
GLinks ULTRA Package | GLinks ULTRA Package PRO
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
Re: [AndyNewby] Blocking Adverts and/or Cookies In reply to
What, you mean to say in the Advertising slow-down you can still manage to turn in a profit from selling advertising space on your site? Wow! Share everyone your secret!!

News just in that doubleclick.com is pulling the plug on their Advertising business today.

I really didn't think there was a market for banner advertising at all anymore?

- wil
Quote Reply
Lol, yeah, it is quite hard. People cutting out my adverts really doesnt't help much either Wink

The way I do it is by using affiliate programs. I also use advert companies such as fastclick.com etc. I am only a student, but my sites still have quite a reasonable turnover which enables me to have a dedicated server. I know what you mean about when you say advert revenue is really dropping. Another way I stay around by advertising is by choosing adverts that releate to the selling of products (i.e. commissions). CJ.com has proven great for this Wink

Well, there we are, I've spilled my advert secrets....lol....not really much to then Tongue

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
>>which enables me to have a dedicated server<<

Thats a little misleading....dedicated I agree but not a full price one. So saying you can cover your dedicated server is not as impressive as it sounds regarding ad revenue Blush

No one is interested in banner advertising unless on a major site like yahoo. I bet if you had a link on your site for banner advertising noone would pay.

Last edited by:

RedRum: Jan 9, 2002, 3:38 AM
Quote Reply
Re: [RedRum] Blocking Adverts and/or Cookies In reply to
Paul, I don't think you are right really. I get about $350 per month from my sites adverts. and more depending if I do other jobs. So $350 per month in advertising would quite hapily cover a full price server Wink However, you are right that I dont pay full price for my server....Tongue

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk

Last edited by:

AndyNewby: Jan 9, 2002, 3:43 AM
Quote Reply
You're telling me you earn $350 from joining free banner exchanges? lol

*Paul runs to fastclick.com...*

Last edited by:

RedRum: Jan 9, 2002, 3:51 AM
Quote Reply
*Me too, me toooo.......* Wink

I am using my banner exchange and third-party services only to generate more traffic to my sites. I don't think there's much more than that in banners...
Quote Reply
Hi Andy

That's great! Watch your back, though. doubleclick.com has been *the* leading advertising agency on the web since it's launch five or so years ago, and when they close their doors, serious questions need to be asked.

Cheers

- wil
Quote Reply
I reckon 1,000,000 impressons per page per day would earn you about $10 with affiliate "companies" Sly

"You could be earning $1000/month or more...." ugh tacky!

Last edited by:

RedRum: Jan 9, 2002, 4:06 AM
Quote Reply
Well, I earn about $10 per day from one main advertiser (screamdesign.com), and I only get about 15k per day from all of my sites Wink So I'm doing pretty damn well by your theory then Paul...lol.

Anyway, fastclick.com is crap for getting a decent amount of money (specially seeing as a lot of their advertisers are from doubleclick.com Wink)...I only really use them as a 'filler' and get about $10-$20 per month from them.

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Quote Reply
Quote:
You're telling me you earn $350 from joining free banner exchanges? lol

*Paul runs to fastclick.com...*

Actually Paul, I learned my lesson about 'banner exchanges' a loooooong time ago! I had exchange banners on my old site (youradds.com, thus my old username...lol), and I was happy to get 1 hits a day from it. Thus I don't use them at all now, and reply simply on search engines and people who link to me Tongue

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Quote Reply
All affiliate programs / banner exchanges and such are a total waste of time IMO

Infact banners make your site look ugly IMO thats why I like GT. (Not "your" as in yours Andy)
Quote Reply
Quote:
All affiliate programs / banner exchanges and such are a total waste of time IMO

Infact banners make your site look ugly IMO thats why I like GT. (Not "your" as in yours Andy) [/quote

Yeah, a great philosiphy Paul. I wonder where we would be without 'adverts'. And, in case you are forgetting 4 of my sites RELY on adverts/affil programs! So, I recon without adverts almost none of the Internet would be as good as it is now! GT can afford not to show adverts on their site. In fact, adverts on it would just make their site look tacky.....BUT they have software they are selling, so they can afford not to show adverts!

Anyway, that is what I think Tongue

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Quote Reply
>>So, I recon without adverts almost none of the Internet would be as good as it is now! <<

Oh dear....guess you don't surf much?

Adverts are the most evil thing on the Internet (unless Im getting money to show them Laugh).

Last edited by:

RedRum: Jan 9, 2002, 8:00 AM
Quote Reply
Ok, so lets have a look at the best sites (which, IMO, don't look ugly)

Games.com
Bonus.com
Yahoo.com
Yahoo.co.uk
Altavista.com

Well, the list goes on! I do agree that they are a pain in the arse and slow doen sites by stupid amounts. However, they are an important part of Internet life! Without them there would be no Internet. Imagine Games.com. The amount of bandwidth they must use with people playing their games is huge. And where do they get their money from? ADVERTS!

Anyway, thats just my opinion. I'm the same as you. I don't like adverts unless they earn me money, and without them there would be absolutly no reason for me to keep any of my sitesgoing (except ace-installer)....as they would all be loosing me money (hey, I'm a generouse guy, but that would be stupid Wink)

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Quote Reply
>>
Games.com
Bonus.com
Yahoo.com
Yahoo.co.uk
Altavista.com
<<

I'd say "big" sites rather than "best" Smile

3/5 are search engines so thats a different issue :)
Quote Reply
But...Do you remember the heaven of the net without banner ads? Hell, do you even remember Yahoo's front page without banner ads?! Now *that* was something! :-)

- wil
Quote Reply
>>Do you remember the heaven of the net without banner ads?<<

This coming from the guy who wanted everyone to use Geocities? lol
Quote Reply
In Reply To:
Hi Andy

That's great! Watch your back, though. doubleclick.com has been *the* leading advertising agency on the web since it's launch five or so years ago, and when they close their doors, serious questions need to be asked.

Cheers
You have info about doubleclick closing business?
Where did you get that story from.

~ ERASER

Free JavaScripts @ Insight Eye
Quote Reply
Re: [Eraser] Blocking Adverts and/or Cookies In reply to
Looks like they are going strong to me....

>>DOUBLECLICK MEDIA SIGNS MCAFEE.COM AND NEW CAR TEST DRIVE AS EXCLUSIVE NETWORK PARTNERS<<

Posted 1/9/02

Last edited by:

RedRum: Jan 9, 2002, 8:36 AM
Quote Reply
In Reply To:
>>Do you remember the heaven of the net without banner ads?<<

This coming from the guy who wanted everyone to use Geocities? lol

I'd love it everyone did for their homepages, that way it would free up domains !!!!! grrr.
Quote Reply
Well my, slashdot.org ofcourse! :-) Where would anyone be without slashdot!

http://slashdot.org/...?sid=02/01/08/216256

- wil
Quote Reply
>>Where would anyone be without slashdot<<

Somewhere more interesting?
Quote Reply
Like where? I'm a geek therefore I *love* Slashdot for the latest news, gizmos and gadgets, releases, bug fixes and everything else!

- wil

Last edited by:

Wil: Jan 9, 2002, 9:01 AM
> >