Gossamer Forum
Home : General : Chit Chat :

Yahoo charging annually???

Quote Reply
Yahoo charging annually???
Wow..Yahoo are not charging annually for listings!

Yahoo! Express
7-Day Guarantee
US$299.00 non-refundable, recurring annual fee

I suppose they must get enough people paying that stupid fee, otherwise they wouldn't leave it there. Seems a bit unfair on the smaller sites, where they can't afford that kind of money though Frown

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Want to give me something back for my help? Please see my Amazon Wish List
GLinks ULTRA Package | GLinks ULTRA Package PRO
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
Re: [Andy] Yahoo charging annually??? In reply to
They've been charging for months and months.
Quote Reply
Re: [Paul] Yahoo charging annually??? In reply to
I dind't realise. They used to charge a one-off fee, but now every year? WOW! Crazy

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
I use google, so go pay your yahoo fees.

openoffice + gimp + sketch ... Smile
Quote Reply
Hi Andy

I didn't realize that! I knew they have been charging for a listing, but the annual catch is a new one for me!

- wil
Quote Reply
Re: [QooQ] Yahoo charging annually??? In reply to
Yeah, Go Google they seem to like my site, so I guess I like theirs.Smile
Quote Reply
Re: [Ian] Yahoo charging annually??? In reply to
Yeah, Google is a great search engine....on a couple of my old sites (before I sold them) I used to get literally 500 hits a day just from Google! Ace-Installer also pulls in quite a few hits from it....but the main one is HotScripts.com Smile

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Quote Reply
I get about 25,000 hit/day from google on Categories :)

http://www.iuni.com/...tware/web/index.html
Links Plugins
Quote Reply
Quote:
I used to get literally 500 hits a day just from Google!

Quote:
I get about 25,000 hit/day from google on Categories :)

Wink

Last edited by:

Paul: Oct 23, 2002, 9:28 AM
Quote Reply
WOW...thats a lot. Didn't realise that Categories.ca was such a popular site Smile

When I say about my sites getting 500 hits a day from Google, I was referring to Templates.ws, which was on an average of 2,000 hits a day. Not as much as your site Ian , but it was a template site, and not a search engine Wink

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Quote Reply
HotScripts.com your site, Andy?

If it is, please oh please oh please oh please make the script listing available for categorizing in different ways. Categorizing by alphabetical must be the worst way. How about options to list by downloads, number of votes, star rating, new or old etc. etc.?

- wil
Quote Reply
I guess that sounded like a boast, but yes, I am really happy with how it is progressing. A nice example of how well a Links SQL site can go in 6 months (I hope).

Having said that though, I have sites which are getting plenty of traffic and all they contain is "Internal Server Error", and other sites which I put days of work into and are really not a big hit.

Since yahoo is charging anually, you would think I could now charge something to advertise on Categories even if it is only a small amount.

Last edited by:

Ian: Oct 23, 2002, 9:50 AM
Quote Reply
How much of your traffic comes from Yahoo?

- wil
Quote Reply
Re: [Wil] Yahoo charging annually??? In reply to
I could not say off hand.... perhaps under 3,000 h/d.

http://www.iuni.com/...tware/web/index.html
Links Plugins
Quote Reply
Still nothing to shrug at Wink

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Quote Reply
Re: [] Yahoo charging annually??? In reply to
So what's the actual hit to sell ratio of your sites? Presuming you sell a service or product? One of our corporate websites only get maybe 600 hits per month, but out of those 600 we get about 40 sales. which is not a fantastic amount but it works for us.

I often think that "hits" is misleading, and in fact, it doesn't mean anything to me or the managers above me. What they are always wanting to know is what kind of revenue those hits are generating. Are they "good" hits or just yet-another-hit?

Targeted advertising in this case works a lot better for us. We tend to forget your Googles, Yahoos, AltaVistas but concentrating on exchanging links with similar interest sites where we can get a higher percentage of target audience with one ad or link. And then, those hits usually transfer into sales.

- wil
Quote Reply
At the company I work for, the term is "click" (since it is more universal across different mediums, including web pages, email, etc.), and is differentiated in the same manner as Wil stated..."good" versus "bad" clicks..."good" meaning that revenue is generated from the "click" versus simply "viewing" of something with no revenue generated.
========================================
Buh Bye!

Cheers,
Me

Last edited by:

Stealth: Oct 23, 2002, 11:52 AM
Quote Reply
LOL....HotScripts is not my site Wink I was refering to the traffic they send me, as I have well over 30 of my scripts listed there Smile

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk