Gossamer Forum
Home : General : Chit Chat :

HELP!!!

Quote Reply
HELP!!!
Where do I post a message regarding TV cards and how to use them to have cable tv through the computer?

thanks

qim
Post deleted by Paul In reply to

Last edited by:

Paul: Feb 27, 2003, 11:50 AM
Quote Reply
Re: [Paul] HELP!!! In reply to
You've just told me to come to this forum and now you're sending me back to the one I used first!

Is this a joke?

qim
Quote Reply
Re: [qim] HELP!!! In reply to
Nooo what I was saying in my other post was to post your question here regarding cable tv, not post the same question you already posted regarding where to post.
Quote Reply
Quote:
Where do I post a message regarding TV cards and how to use them to have cable tv through the computer?

You could try here, but otherwise I'd start with a forum specific to that sort of topic. Maybe a newsgroup like rec.video.desktop might be a good start.

Cheers,

Alex
--
Gossamer Threads Inc.
Quote Reply
Re: [Alex] HELP!!! In reply to

Well my question is ...

I have cable (TV and Internet) and would like to be able to received TV directly to the computer

i have no idea what to do and where to start

I guess I need a TV card. Any suggestioins? Then what?

qim
Quote Reply
Pick up a tv tuner card such as an ATI All In Wonder, or a WintTV card. You should be able to find them at most major retailers.

Cheers,

Alex
--
Gossamer Threads Inc.
Quote Reply
Re: [Alex] HELP!!! In reply to
thanks, now for the next and last question.

I have a decoder next to my video which gives me extra channels.

How do I control that from the computer which will be in a different room?

Do i have to bring the decoder along or can it be done through software?

thanks

qim
Quote Reply
no, it can't (usually) be done with software. You can either move your decoder to your computer or get a remote control signal relayer (expensive...).

Philip
------------------
Limecat is not pleased.
Quote Reply
Re: [fuzzy thoughts] HELP!!! In reply to
In Reply To:
get a remote control signal relayer (expensive...).

Do you mean one of those "illegal" decoders?

Would they work anyway? Would that be a better solution if I informed the cable company?

qim
Quote Reply
no. What I'm talking about is a little transmitter box you point your remote control at which then resends the signal via RF which can then be picked up by the receiver (even though walls) which then sends a signal through infrared to your decoder box. RCA makes a couple different models of these gadgets.

On the other hand, I have heard of some software decoders but they only work in parts of Europe, and are definately illegal.

Hehe... if you plug an outdoor antennai nto the RF output on a VCR, you could actually broadcast to your other TV's and neighbors. Think about it: you can have a local free movie channel for all your buddies. The FCC probably wouldn't like that, so I suggest you don't do that Wink

Philip
------------------
Limecat is not pleased.
Quote Reply
Re: [fuzzy thoughts] HELP!!! In reply to
In Reply To:
On the other hand, I have heard of some software decoders but they only work in parts of Europe, and are definitely illegal.

Hi

Well...I am in Europe

And even though I have never done anything illegal (bar a bit of speeding) I guess it's about time I start...

Just kidding..but I would like to know about that software decoder. Any ideas what it is called and where I can find it?

qim
Quote Reply
A search on usenet for descrambler software for tv tuners should turn up a few links.

Philip
------------------
Limecat is not pleased.