Gossamer Forum
Home : General : Chit Chat :

Country Prefix

Quote Reply
Country Prefix
This is a dumb question but what is the letter country prefix for Canada? The United kingdom would be UK, of course. You wouldn't believe how hard this is to find on the net, all I could find was international aircraft calling codes.

So far I think I have: CF CA CD

Any 'enlightened' help would be appreciated Wink

~ ERASER

Free JavaScripts @ Insight Eye
Quote Reply
Re: [Eraser] Country Prefix In reply to
I assume CA as domains are .ca

CD is canadian dollar isn't it?
Quote Reply
Hi,

Have a look at:

http://www.gossamer-threads.com/...s/source/domains.tab

Cheers,

Alex
--
Gossamer Threads Inc.
Quote Reply
Re: [Alex] Country Prefix In reply to
A very useful list.

I hope you don't mind me making a copy of this for future use.

Thanks, Alex.

~ ERASER

Quote Reply
Re: [Alex] Country Prefix In reply to
Hey how come Congo has 2 Wink
Quote Reply
In Reply To:
This is a dumb question but what is the letter country prefix for Canada? The United kingdom would be UK, of course. You wouldn't believe how hard this is to find on the net, all I could find was international aircraft calling codes.

No, UK is Great Britain with the Country Code gb. Don't know what Canada is, though. There's an official RFC on this subject, though.

- wil

Last edited by:

Wil: Jan 25, 2002, 3:30 AM
Post deleted by RedRum In reply to

Last edited by:

RedRum: Jan 25, 2002, 3:43 AM
Quote Reply
Re: [Wil] Country Prefix In reply to
I think that needs rephrasing. UK isn't the same as Great Britain.

The United Kingdom is made up of the countries of England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland. Its full name is the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland. Great Britain, on the other hand, comprises only England, Scotland and Wales. The term ‘Britain’ is used informally to refer to the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland. The United Kingdom was created by an Act of Parliament in 1801.
In the Middle Ages, Wales was made up of several small kingdoms or principalities which, by 1300, had come largely under English control. Yet Wales was formally incorporated into England only by Parliamentary legislation that began in 1536.

Scotland and England had separate monarchies until 1603, when King James VI of Scotland succeeded Queen Elizabeth I on the English throne. A full merger of the two countries, forming the Kingdom of Great Britain, followed in 1707.

Ireland had come under varying degrees of English influence from the 12th century onward, but was not united to Great Britain until 1801. In 1922, southern Ireland withdrew from the union.

Last edited by:

RedRum: Jan 25, 2002, 4:01 AM
Quote Reply
In Reply To:
No, UK is Great Britain with the Country Code gb

No,

UK - United Kingdom
GB - Great Britain.

2 entirely different definitions.

~ ERASER

Quote Reply
Why? The UK = GB. What's the differnce between them?

- wil
Quote Reply
Paul's post pretty much sums up the differences.

Edit:

I withdraw my last statement. United Kingdom & Great Britain ARE generally considered the same, but its the PREFIX of each word(s) I was referring too, not comparing the two constitutional definitions.

So, if I were to write down the prefix UK, it would usually be considered as United Kingdom in regard to location -- whether or not it means the same as Great Britain, that would be an irrelevance for the point I was making.

~ ERASER

Last edited by:

Eraser: Jan 25, 2002, 3:39 PM
Quote Reply

http://www.iana.org/cctld/cctld-whois.htm

http://www1.ics.uci.edu/...at/country-codes.txt

(yes i know Alex has already 'answered' you)

just some other sources...

:)

Warp.

Last edited by:

Warp: Jan 26, 2002, 1:09 AM